North of 49

Warning: This blog contains Liberal views and is not for the faint of heart...

 Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 replies ] 

Permanent LinkPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:47 am 
I was listening to the radio the other day, and I heard a story of a woman who was installing a flourescent lightbulb in her daughters room. Unfortunately, it slipped and broke on the floor. Not knowing how to dispose of it(because flourescent lightbulbs have mercury in them), she calls the manufacturers. They direct her to a bunch of people who direct her else where, etc. Finally, she gets to talk to the right people, and she eventually has to bring in HazMat guys who want to charge $2000 to clean her daughters room of mercurial residue.

She doesn't have that kind of money, and so now her daughter's room is sealed off and the daughter is sleeping on the couch. All because a flourescent lightbulb broke on the floor. Also, if they blow out, it causes the same problems.

So the long and short of it is, flourescent lightbulbs have to be taken to a hazardous waste facility, whereas old lightbulbs you could just throw in the garbage. There is no other way to dispose of compact flourescent lightbulbs. They must go to a hazardous/toxic waste facility.

Scary shit or what?

So, is banning all incandescent lightbulbs really that genius and good of an idea? I leave you all to decide.



Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268747,00.html


.

_________________
Image
Never ever question Canadian Coolness!!!!!
America is North America's basement. Its where you put all the crap and forget ab


 Profile  
 


Comments
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Online
Profile
Permanent LinkPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:25 am 

I think this story is becoming the stuff of "Urban Myth". I heard the same story and it was a family of four in the southern states. They had to move out of their home because they could not afford the clean up\decontamination. I am sure if this gets tracked back to its original source it will be found to be a hoax.


Permanent LinkPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:28 am 

Sorry A_M that was my comment above. I did not realize I had not yet logged on to CKA before posting.


Permanent LinkPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:33 am 

I think it's complete BS (was it on the Lowell Green show? That guy would say pretty much anything :roll: )

This is from the GE website:

Quote:
4. What should I do if I break a fluorescent bulb?

Puncture resistant gloves are recommended for cleaning up broken glass. After picking up all large fragments, wipe area thoroughly to clean any remaining glass or phosphor residue. If necessary, ventilate area to remove any remaining fine phosphor dust. After handling broken lamps, wash hands and face thoroughly. Incidental exposure to lamp contents is not harmful. The basic phosphor used in the manufacture of fluorescent lamps is a relatively inert phosphate. The small amount of mercury contained in each lamp will not cause any significant amount of airborne mercury, since most of the elemental mercury remains adhered to the phosphor surface. No adverse health effects are expected from exposure to a broken fluorescent tube.


AND

Quote:
13. How should I dispose of fluorescent lamps?

Please refer to our state disposal policies page. In most states, fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs used at home can be disposed of in the same way as regular light bulbs. While all fluorescent bulbs contain a trace amount of mercury, the quantity is so minute that household disposal is not regulated by federal standards (established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency).

However, if you are disposing many fluorescent lamps you should know that because they contain mercury they are classified as hazardous waste unless:

1. You, as the end user, generate less than 100kg of hazardous waste per month (approx. 360 4' T12 lamps)

OR

2. The lamps pass the EPA Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) Test.

If the lamps meet these criteria and your state's regulation on TCLP is not stricter than the EPA's regulation, the lamps can be disposed of the same way as normal waste. However, if the lamps do not meet the criteria to be classified as normal waste, they will need to be either recycled by a lamp recycler or disposed under the hazardous waste guidelines of your state.

GE Ecolux® lamps pass federal TCLP regulations and therefore, by federal standards, are not considered hazardous waste. However, you should check with your state regulations to determine if they are stricter than the federal regulations. Other non-Ecolux lamps are not consistently TCLP-compliant.

Look for Ecolux lamps in the fluorescent section of our Lamp Product Catalog.


Source: http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/faqs/fluorescent.htm#13


I wouldn't be surprised if you get more exposure to mercury from eating tuna than by breaking a fluorescent bulb ;)

_________________
If you sometimes feel a little useless, offended or depressed... Always remember that YOU were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions...


Online
Profile
Permanent LinkPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:21 pm 

Arctic you really should do at least a little research before you post something like that. Or you could apply for a job at the CBC.


Permanent LinkPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:06 pm 

Who's Guest? :?

They dissed the CBC, so it must someone from the right. :lol:




I'm suprised you guys took that seriously. When have I EVER used something credible from Fox News? :lol:



Be it false or not(or if it happens in the future, etc.), I think it raises a good point. We shouldn't jump into things so hastily.

I wonder if the guy who started this thing is teh same guy who fooled the media with the whole "Save our Sofas" thing. Hmm...

_________________
Image
Never ever question Canadian Coolness!!!!!
America is North America's basement. Its where you put all the crap and forget ab


Permanent LinkPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:33 pm 

Easy. Increase research on LED's. Make them the size of ordinary lights. Create the most efficient and powerful lights ever. R=UP

And least dangerous.


Permanent LinkPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:41 pm 

I'll look into it.


Surely though, Fox will find something wrong with them. :lol:

Warning! LED may make you go blind if you stare at them!!!

_________________
Image
Never ever question Canadian Coolness!!!!!
America is North America's basement. Its where you put all the crap and forget ab


Permanent LinkPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:52 pm 

Banning bulbs won't solve a thing. They'll just log back in with anew IP.





 Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 replies ] 


 

Author
USER_AVATAR

Location: The Great White North
Blog: View Blog (208)

Archives
- December 2007
Cloverfield
   Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:00 am
WOOOO!!!!!!
   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:20 pm
Quick! Hit the "Oh Shit" button!!!
   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:06 pm
Weird stuff...
   Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 pm
WWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWW............
   Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:42 pm

+ June 2007
+ May 2007
+ April 2007
+ March 2007
+ February 2007
+ January 2007
+ December 2006
+ November 2006
+ October 2006
+ September 2006
+ August 2006
+ July 2006
+ June 2006