CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 am

Hello , I have a few questions

We are thinking about moveing from Bulgaria to Calgary (i hope to happened soon) what is my options for the child???

My son (5y old) do not speak English , so what should I do in that case , can I apply in some kindergarten , do they have some extra lessons about the language , what is the situation for foreigners children , who do not have English skills ?

And one more think, if it's not possible for my child to attend kindergarten classes, is there some special lessons that is provide for a foreigners children, especially for helping them to improve their English skills?

Thank you so much for your help

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:00 am

At 5 he will pick up the language extremely easily in comparison to anyone trying to learn it in their late teens, start using English in your house ahead of time as well to help him pick up on it as well, that way he can also understand the very basics at least when people start teaching him, helps him to get in with the rest of the students faster.

Related link for best info:
http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/prog-esl.asp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 am

jeff744 jeff744:
At 5 he will pick up the language extremely easily in comparison to anyone trying to learn it in their late teens, start using English in your house ahead of time as well to help him pick up on it as well, that way he can also understand the very basics at least when people start teaching him, helps him to get in with the rest of the students faster.

Related link for best info:
http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/prog-esl.asp

Well sure , we try to help him from here , i mean to prepare him for the big change , he will go on some English lessons here in Bulgaria to ….
But my biggest warring is that he will be in school age till the time we manage to go in Calgary , so what is my options , he won’t be ready to start school coz his language skills will be like in low ,very low level , so he won’t be able to understand almost nothing from the classes in the school ….. so what should we do in this case?
Special kindergarten , or special school , or ….special lessons , I have no idea what is the thing that is better for the child , to do not stress him a lot .
Thank you for your help

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:07 am

Don't worry about it. Within a year or two your child will be speaking English like a native. My youngest son's first language is Mandarin, which brings strange stares, as he's white. He grew up in Taiwan from the age of 9 months and attended a Chinese daycare, had Chinese nanny and went to a Chinese primary school. He and my wife moved home just a short time ago and my wife has remarked how quickly his English has improved. When he gets angry at someone he uses Mandarin though. Both my wife and I have taught here in Taiwan for several years(she works with kids and I work with university students and professionals) and I also did some teaching in Africa. I've also taught in the north where most of my students spoke Cree as their mother tongue. Don't worry about your child, as Canada is a leader in immersion programs. As I said before, a year or two. They may hold him back a year or two, but he'll likely be moved up as he becomes more proficient.

Try and talk to him in English some at home, and go over his reading homework and vocabulary as well. Make sure he touches the words and looks at them while saying them. Download the Dolch word lists too, for sight words. Make it a game at first. There are plenty of ESL resources online. If you can, find some Peter and Jane reading books. They're tried, tested and true, or Ladybird Books if you can get them. Starfall is a good online resource for sight words and phonics. Hope this helps some....PS Click on the blue Starfall link...it will take you to the site.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:03 am

well thanks for your answer and the ideas :))))
now I need to ask something more
am ready to sponsor my spouse and our child ,but when I apply for Permanent residence under the Family Class ,do I have to fill out 2 applications – one for my spouse and one for our child ,or just one application for my spouse and our child . So they can both get permanent residents .
Thanks for your help

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:53 am

Your child is your (her) dependent, so that is what you fill out. Just an extra line on her application.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:56 am

Brenda Brenda:
Your child is your (her) dependent, so that is what you fill out. Just an extra line on her application.

O, i see thank you so much for your help