CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:38 am

So I see a few different "Moving to Alberta" type threads on here, but nothing really new.
I've lived in Nova Scotia for all 30 years of my life, but I am now moving to Alberta the first of August. I have landed a job with Schlumberger based out of Grand Prairie as an equipment operator.

I'm just wondering what I should expect I guess. I got a rough idea about the cost of living and the higher price for living accommodations.

I'm kinda thinking about the other stuff like what to expect out of the weather? I've heard that in the winter, the cold is a much drier cold then here and it'll cut right through you.

As far as driving, what's the procedures when you buy a vehicle and what are the inspection laws like? When we get a safety here, it's good for two years.

So really, any good bits of advice or tips would be of help.

:rock:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:55 am

Message QBC or WildRoseGirl. They live there.

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:09 am

Will do, thanks

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:39 pm

phiscott wrote:
I'm kinda thinking about the other stuff like what to expect out of the weather? I've heard that in the winter, the cold is a much drier cold then here and it'll cut right through you.

Actually it is the reverse. A damp cold cuts through you and a dry cold is not near as bad. I would rather have -30*C of dry cold than -15*C of a damp cold with a breeze off the water. You will find the summer days longer than NS and winter days are shorter. Due to the day length in the summer GP can grow some items that Calgary cannot. You will adapt to the climate within a few weeks and all will be well.

GP has all the services you would expect from any other city its size. Also like any other city it has its good and bad points. Having moved a lot I can tell that every place has features you will miss when you move away. The faster you make friends in a community the more you will like it. The more you dwell on what you left behind the worse your experience will be.

Schlumberger is a huge company so you will have opportunity to move around the oil patch if you wish.

Good luck and I hope the new job is enjoyable.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Just so you won't get the surprise of your life...

...there's no ocean in Alberta.
So never ask anybody when high-tide is. :wink:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:20 am

raydan wrote:

Sometimes lakes are better, it's much easier to find drowned guy :)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:35 am

raydan wrote:

A wheat field on a windy day does a good impression of the ocean.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:47 am

nope, she'd just have to settle for a little "surfing" behind the barn. If you know what I mean *wink wink nudge nudge*

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 am

Caelon wrote:
phiscott wrote:

Actually it is the reverse. A damp cold cuts through you and a dry cold is not near as bad. I would rather have -30*C of dry cold than -15*C of a damp cold with a breeze off the water. You will find the summer days longer than NS and winter days are shorter. Due to the day length in the summer GP can grow some items that Calgary cannot. You will adapt to the climate within a few weeks and all will be well.

See I was almost certain that the damp cold is worse then the dry cold, but a few people told me the opposite. I don't mind the cold that much, you can always put on more clothes!