Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:13 am

A request from the Moderators to all CKA members

There have been recent and on-going events occurring in our world that, understandably, have prompted many members to express their opinions on in various threads. While healthy debate and sharing of different views is what this forum is all about, lately emotions have gotten the better of some members and too many are resorting to personal insults to others who do not necessarily agree with their views.

As a result there has been an increase to the number of posts being reported by members who, sometimes rightfully, have felt they have been personally attacked by another member. It is becoming more challenging to the moderation staff to determine whether or not a warning is necessary or if a gentle reminder will do. We often consult with each other on how to handle certain situations and often let things go but it is getting a bit disheartening and far too frequent. Even more disappointing are the members who have expressed, via a post or pm, that they have considered leaving the site due to it becoming such a battleground. It would be a shame to lose valuable members who contribute to the forum's existence due to some not wanting to play by the rules.

We respectfully ask that everyone try to be more accepting of those you do not agree with and not resort to the use of insults and profanity to get your message across.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:50 am

All of the Moderators got together on this message because we were getting concerned.

I think the easiest fix is; if you are writing a sentence that begins "You are a {bad thing}", then just finish your thought, and hit the [X] in the top corner. Don't hit "Submit" on the post.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:51 am

DrCaleb wrote:
All of the Moderators got together on this message because we were getting concerned.

I think the easiest fix is; if you are writing a sentence that begins "You are a {bad thing}", then just finish your thought, and hit the [X] in the top corner. Don't hit "Submit" on the post.

Ditto that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:58 am

A question I asked in the previous thread that I never got an answer for, is this extending to those outside the forum? I've seen insults thrown towards public figures be edited, and other not be, and I don't feel like a clear rule has been stated.

I can attest to valuable members wanting to leave. I recently had a conversation with someone I'd say contributes more to reasoned discussion than the vast majority of this forum (myself included) not wanting to participate anymore.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am

Tricks wrote:
A question I asked in the previous thread that I never got an answer for, is this extending to those outside the forum? I've seen insults thrown towards public figures be edited, and other not be, and I don't feel like a clear rule has been stated.

Speaking for myself I comport my moderation efforts with regards to public figures the same way US and Canadian law speaks to them: They're public figures and mockery is part of what they signed up for.

The primary concern here is that CKA members do not insult each other.

Tricks wrote:
I can attest to valuable members wanting to leave. I recently had a conversation with someone I'd say contributes more to reasoned discussion than the vast majority of this forum (myself included) not wanting to participate anymore.

I've likewise had email and Facebook correspondence with members who are not happy with the the personal insults that have replaced actual arguments for some people.

And some of them don't come here much anymore.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:17 am

Tricks wrote:

Rules are irrelevant if they're not enforced.

CKA has continued to decline for a variety of reasons but mainly because things have stayed the same. Selective rule enforcement, general hostility towards new people, name calling, etc. We cannot continue to do the same and expect different results.

Set rules and guidelines. Enforce them for all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:20 am

Maybe it should be like Hockey.

Minutes in the penalty box for fighting. Extra minutes for initiator and third man in. :)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:20 am

Coach85 wrote:

Speaking for myself, these are what I measure my moderation on:

rules.php

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:42 am

I've never liked Ad hominem attacks. I've read posts that have made my blood boil, I've almost replied to a few of them with a less than cordial response. I agree that we need to be civil with everyone... Some of the attitudes have scared off a lot of people on these forums. We need to be better.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:11 pm

This has been around the interwebz for awhile.

Quote:
Don't start nothing won't be nothing

A warning to others stating that if an altercation is to be avoided then they should cease acting in a provocative manor.

by r34lp0l1t1k June 20, 2003

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %20nothing

Actually, I heard it years earlier on a radio talk show.

There are unnamed virtue signalers who might want to give it a think before deciding the problem is everybody else.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Tricks wrote:

It can be tough to keep up on every post made and check them for content. The insults get out of control at times for sure and IMO posts that contain profanity along with the insult (name-calling) tend to generate an even more heated response from someone on the other side of the conversation. Then back and forth it goes... :roll:
Tricks wrote:

I have those conversations as well. That is a big part of why we want to get everyone to settle down.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 pm

I've come close a few times. In fact I did take a 3 year hiatus once.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Coach85 wrote:
Tricks wrote:

Rules are irrelevant if they're not enforced.

CKA has continued to decline for a variety of reasons but mainly because things have stayed the same. Selective rule enforcement, general hostility towards new people, name calling, etc. We cannot continue to do the same and expect different results.

I agree.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:05 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Tricks wrote:

Speaking for myself I comport my moderation efforts with regards to public figures the same way US and Canadian law speaks to them: They're public figures and mockery is part of what they signed up for.

The primary concern here is that CKA members do not insult each other.

Perfect, sounds good to me. Just wanted a clear guideline. Thanks Bart.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 pm

llama66 wrote:
I've come close a few times. In fact I did take a 3 year hiatus once.

Me too. Left, learned, came back stronger and ready to deal.

People who think this is all something new have short memories, weren't here for the bad old days or thought they were good ole days because they were in the circle surrounding some of the rest of us, so they didn't think there was a problem.

As to broader exodus from site this wouldn't be the first one if that's what it is.