Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:05 pm

its good that you didn't try to deposit it to see if it will clear, because obviously it won't. you'll get stuck with an NSF fee for something you didn't need to do.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:14 am

ASLplease wrote:
its good that you didn't try to deposit it to see if it will clear, because obviously it won't. you'll get stuck with an NSF fee for something you didn't need to do.

Oh, No I knew it was a scam as soon as his email told me he was sending a money order and he wanted me to wire the difference back to him, I was more curious about what I was gonna get than anxious for $. Pretty obvious if your suspicious enough, I called the cops as soon as I received the money order. Not that they can do anything, yahoo email address and no way to identify who forged the money order, that's how they get away with these things for so long. If they get one person out of 10 they have made an easy $2000. I'm smarter than that though.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for letting us know that it would be a forgery. I thought an NSF from an international bank might be the case, but now that you mentioned it, a forgery makes more sense.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:39 am

A guy tried really hard to rip me off when I was purchasing hockey tickets last year for a Bruins/Sens game, the guy tried every trick in the book to get me to send him money because he claimed to be in Thunder Bay. I googled his name, sure enough there were warning out there about him from Halifax and Calgary about running scams. Before I bought my Bulldog pup, I was looking around breeders sites and also looked at Kijiji, unreal how many scams are on there for pure bred dogs. The poster usually claims to be in a foreign country with the dog (missionary work seems popular) they claim they can no longer keep cute little Rover because of the living conditions in their third world home, so the Dog is free, just send them money (300-500 bucks) for shipping. Fucking losers. I guarantee if you check out the pets section right now, you'd find some.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 am

ASLplease wrote:
Thanks for letting us know that it would be a forgery. I thought an NSF from an international bank might be the case, but now that you mentioned it, a forgery makes more sense.

Yah, It was a forgery, a really good copy of a CIBC money order, even had all the security features.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:05 pm

I wanted to ad to the previous forums concerning someone scamming people on Kijiji saying they are in the UK. This particular person sends an email saying he has moved to the UK and that if you're interested in purchasing his item then you will need to send money via western union to DPD courier in London. He'll send a phony customer service name saying they represent DPD and request the wire transfer of the money and then the goods will be released. He is on Kijiji right now ( March 3 ) selling a Macpro laptop located in Mississauga. His name on the email is Mike Holdon. I have not sent him any money but I did check with DPD in the UK and they NEVER do business in this manner. THey have contacted security on their end for internet fraud to try and locate this guy. Other names used - Charles Smith, Barry Abbott. if you receive any response to any ads you've written to on Kijiji then beware these are the SCAMMERS.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:52 am

I think somebody on kijiji was trying to scam me. Im selling tires on kijiji and this below is the emails between me and the "scammer"

Scammer:
Hello,
I will like to know if the ( NEW THREAD BF Goodrich Premier Touring)is still up for sale,and i will need you to get back to me with the last asking price so i can make quick arrangement for payment and Pickup....
I await your swift response to my mail..
Have a Wonderful Day...:

me:
Hi,
Yes the tires are still up for sale, $400 for the four.
Thanks,

Scammer:
Hello,
How are you doing,thanks for get back to me i will want you to no that am ok with the last pics for the item and i will like you to no that i will send you a certified check and i wil like you to no that my shipper fees will be on it too so once you have the payment and is clears in your bank then you will send the rest fun to my shipper so they can come over for the pick up for the item in your house so i will want you to get back to me with your full infor like this,Name,Address,Post Cord,so i i can make out the payment out to you soon and i will like you to no that i will call you soon and pls and pls i will want you to hold the item for me be cos i what to buy it and i love it so much that is my i want to make out the payment to you fast ok.......

Thanks..

David..

Me:
I can hold that item for you but I won't give out my personal info. The item will be available to pick up at a public place of my choice. As far as the cheque I'll have it send to another location as well. Thank you.

Scammer:
Thanks for getting back to me,am ok with all that but i will want you to give me your infor so i can makeout the payment to you fast ok so once you have the payment just let me no so you can tell me the location you want us to come over for the pick up for the item but i will want you to no that once you have the payment you will send the rest money to my shipper befor they will come over and meet you ok...pls get back to me with your,name,home address,post cord,and your number too.......

Thanks..

Daivd..

ME:
I am not giving my personal information, period.

Scammer:
ok bye

Weirdly enough it seems like he was more interested into my personal info than trying to get me to send him money and send me the cheque wherever. His email address is: dvdlee222@googlemail.com and he goes under the name of : David Lee

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:58 am

You could have sent him/her to the local RCMP :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:05 am

hahaha! That would have been a very very good plan! lol

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:21 am

I called the police once regarding this, I don't know if the police was just being lazy but he didn't even forward me to another crime division. he said there is no crime until I fall for it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:09 am

One of my 'hobbies' for when I'm dealing with a scammer from an authoritarian or corrupt country is to not reply to their initial scam email, but to send them a new email:

Say the fellow is in Belarus (a favoured spot for scammers that also has a repressive government)...

Quote:
Greetings,
Your payment of US$1,650,000.00 was received by wire in our bank yesterday afternoon, as agreed. Thank you for your payment.

Again, as agreed, the container will arrive in Mazyr with the train from Amsterdam on (date) at (time).

The shipping manifest will say 'machine parts'.

Inside will be 500 9mm Uzi rifles each with 1,000 rounds of ball ammunition.
100 F-26 fragmentation grenades. 10 40mm grenade launchers with 100 round each of HEAT ammunition. We were also able to locate and ship 100Kg of Semtex and we will trust you for payment on that portion of this shipment.

Good luck with the revolution!

I just love the thought of some spammer explaining THIS to his countries secret police. :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 am

kayla wrote:
I think somebody on kijiji was trying to scam me. Im selling tires on kijiji and this below is the emails between me and the "scammer"

Scammer:
Hello,
I will like to know if the ( NEW THREAD BF Goodrich Premier Touring)is still up for sale,and i will need you to get back to me with the last asking price so i can make quick arrangement for payment and Pickup....
I await your swift response to my mail..
Have a Wonderful Day...:

me:
Hi,
Yes the tires are still up for sale, $400 for the four.
Thanks,

Scammer:
Hello,
How are you doing,thanks for get back to me i will want you to no that am ok with the last pics for the item and i will like you to no that i will send you a certified check and i wil like you to no that my shipper fees will be on it too so once you have the payment and is clears in your bank then you will send the rest fun to my shipper so they can come over for the pick up for the item in your house so i will want you to get back to me with your full infor like this,Name,Address,Post Cord,so i i can make out the payment out to you soon and i will like you to no that i will call you soon and pls and pls i will want you to hold the item for me be cos i what to buy it and i love it so much that is my i want to make out the payment to you fast ok.......

Thanks..

David..

Me:
I can hold that item for you but I won't give out my personal info. The item will be available to pick up at a public place of my choice. As far as the cheque I'll have it send to another location as well. Thank you.

Scammer:
Thanks for getting back to me,am ok with all that but i will want you to give me your infor so i can makeout the payment to you fast ok so once you have the payment just let me no so you can tell me the location you want us to come over for the pick up for the item but i will want you to no that once you have the payment you will send the rest money to my shipper befor they will come over and meet you ok...pls get back to me with your,name,home address,post cord,and your number too.......

Thanks..

Daivd..

ME:
I am not giving my personal information, period.

Scammer:
ok bye

Weirdly enough it seems like he was more interested into my personal info than trying to get me to send him money and send me the cheque wherever. His email address is: dvdlee222@googlemail.com and he goes under the name of : David Lee

This is typical of how they work, he wants your address to send you a phony cretified cheque or money order, you cash said cheque (it takes days to clear your bank) and wire the remainder of the funds to his "shipper", Then you NEVER hear from them again and meanwhile the cheque bounces and your on the hook for however much it was.

The best defense is to know that this is no where no way an acceptable way to do businees, unfortunately like I said they do this all the time and if they only nail 1 in 10 they still made a quick buck at no expense to them.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:30 am

ASLplease wrote:
I called the police once regarding this, I don't know if the police was just being lazy but he didn't even forward me to another crime division. he said there is no crime until I fall for it.

He wasn't being lazy, there is no viable way for police to track these people down, they use public access email accounts (yahoo, hotmail ect...) out of internet cafe's and libraries that are virtually untraceable, you will never meet these people face to face. What the cops told me was to never give them personal info and if they harass me via email to just ignore it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 am

ASLplease wrote:

It's not a lazy cop. It's not a crime until you agree to part with something of value. Now, I think he ought to have taken down your information regarding the scammer and forwarded it on. There are lots of repositories. In Ontario, the OPP runs Scambusters (Phonebusters?) for just that reason.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:56 am

BartSimpson wrote:
One of my 'hobbies' for when I'm dealing with a scammer from an authoritarian or corrupt country is to not reply to their initial scam email, but to send them a new email:

Say the fellow is in Belarus (a favoured spot for scammers that also has a repressive government)...

Quote:
Greetings,
Your payment of US$1,650,000.00 was received by wire in our bank yesterday afternoon, as agreed. Thank you for your payment.

Again, as agreed, the container will arrive in Mazyr with the train from Amsterdam on (date) at (time).

The shipping manifest will say 'machine parts'.

Inside will be 500 9mm Uzi rifles each with 1,000 rounds of ball ammunition.
100 F-26 fragmentation grenades. 10 40mm grenade launchers with 100 round each of HEAT ammunition. We were also able to locate and ship 100Kg of Semtex and we will trust you for payment on that portion of this shipment.

Good luck with the revolution!

I just love the thought of some spammer explaining THIS to his countries secret police. :lol:

ROTFL LOVE IT!!! Hope you don't mind if I use it too :lol:

I had a non kijiji fun moment when I recieved an e-mail from the FBI's Seattle field office telling me I had to do this and that within 48 hours or the Feebs would be at my door. Being a Canadian, I wasn't really worried about the Feebs showing up, and smelling a scam, I decided to forward the e-mail along to the Seattle field office, you know, in the spirit of good neighbourliness :lol: