bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:34 am

I finaly got around to creating a video upload system for the video section of the site, "CanuckTube". Up until now one could submit links to videos on other sites like youtube, but now files can be uploaded to the CKA server.

Video linking is still available, there is 2 options on the submission form. The reason I created CanuckTube using "video links" was to conserve on the large amounts of bandwidth used in hosting videos, as well as the risk of legal troubles.

It has worked out fairly well, but after Youtube was bought by google many of the videos that were linked to started to disapear, and thats a pain. So it may be better to upload videos to CKA, so they are always here and not lost.

The upload system is simular to other video sites, you can upload almost any video format then the server will convert the video to the flash video format and play it on the page with a flash video player.
The video player is really simple right now, I will get around to branding it later.

I also can generate thumbnails for uploaded video like I can for Youtube videos, so these 2 methods are much prefered over the other options, because the others produce no video thumbnail.

Here is an example of an uploaded video:
http://www.canadaka.net/modules.php?nam ... iew&id=309

Please note that the focus of CanuckTube is still Canadian videos only, I don't see the point in creating another video site for all sorts of videos, there are hundreds of Youtube clones now. CanuckTube is different because it is Canadian content only and I think I will keep it that way.

I am working on adding some new things to the video section, and as always if you have any suggestions speak up! And if you see a category that should be added, lemme know.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:07 pm

Cool, I also added a "CKA" watermark to uploaded videos in the bottom right.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:28 pm

well i should have tested this before, the upload failed with files over 8MB. It is now fixed and tested, the max file size is now 50 MB.

I just uploadeda couple older videos from the downloads section
http://www.canadaka.net/video

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:49 pm

I have had to clean out a whole wack load of videos from the Video section over the last couple months, because they were links to videos on Youtube and youtube removed them from their site.

So I added a new feature to the Video section. You can now upload .FLV files. FLV's are flash video files and are the format that is used on Youtube and most video sharing sites.

The problem with Youtube is you can't save the videos from the website into normal video formats like WMV. BUT there are various browser plugins and websites that allow you to save the video from youtube as the source .FLV file.

And since I convert uploaded videos to this FLV format anyway, I have allowed the upload of FLV files. SO the best way to add a video now is to upload the FLV file, so it won't rely on a link to youtube.

I recommend a free browser plugin for Internet Explorer 7 called, "IE7Pro". It adsa bunch of features to your browser, one of which is a plugin for saving youtube videos. Alternatively there is several websites that allow you to enter in a youtube URL then it will download the FLV file for you. http://www.saveyoutube.com/

This is also handy so you can save videos you like to your local harddrive, all you need is a Flash player to view them.

I hope that made some kinda sense...

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:39 pm

Hey Trev.....thanks, I downloaded that IE7PRO ....cool, lotsa neat features. R=UP