bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:56 am

I have some exciting news to announce, CKA is growing with a new partner!

Yes Vivelecanada.ca is joining/partnering with CKA. I was in talks with Vive back in the fall and I just have been so busy with other things it’s taken this long to get the project ready.

Vive is remaining its own site, with its own board of directors and content control, but I am going to be hosting it and I created a new Vive site that is ran from the CKA system. I have been developing the system so it can share many of the core CMS files. Making maintaining both sites and maybe more in the future less work.

The only parts which are integrated or shared are the forums and users. Someone with an account on vive will be able to login to Canadaka.net and vice versa. Vive will use the CKA forum system, but will have control over its own forums to moderate and set their own rules. I may try some other intigration with news items and such, but that would come later.

When someone visits the new vive site they won't be able to tell its run from CKA at all. The view of the forums from vive is different and at the moment they don’t see any of the CKA forums or topics. But CKA members can see the vive forums and will be welcome to participate if they follow those forums rules, kind of like how the political party forums work now.

I haven’t decided if topics from the vive forums will show up on the "recent topics" lists on CKA. I will probably do that like the party forums as well. They will if you’re in a special group and then they will show up highlighted a different colour.

All the old forum topics from the old Vive forum have been migrated over as well as all the articles/editorials and their comments. All the article comments have been converted to forum posts, and will operate like the CKA News commenting works.

I think this will be a good thing to help continue CKA forums growth. Last year I did the partnership with Filibustercartoons.com and its been working out great, so this is a step beyond that. I also thought it was good balance, because Filibuster is more right wing, it made sense to go for a more left wing partner this time. Keep the ying and yang in order.

I hope everyone from both communities will welcome each other, but keep in mind that if your posting in the Vive forums things will be a little more controlled. A tighter lease on flaming, personal attacks and over the top partisanship. For all the regular CKA forums nothing changes from this.

For the Vive Le Canada members, your accounts have been migrated over, your username should work on www.canadaka.net or www.vivelecanada.ca. But there may have been problems with the migration, if your account isn’t working first try the lost password feature, then please contact me at [email protected] Also if you had the same username on both sites, your profile on CKA is the one that remains, so use that password. If you had an account on both sites but the username was slightly different, they were not merged, but if you contact me i can manually merge them, so you can get all your posts from both sites attached to your profile. You can contact me or post in the Vive Help and Support forum for assistance regarding this.

The new Vive site is going live, but it is not totally compete, I have plans for numerous additional features. If you are a regular news/article contributor to Vive, you will have to use the new system, which should be pretty easy to figure out, it’s less complicated than the old posting page. If you need help contact me or post in the forums, I can give some walkthroughs.

I will be posting more details later today (tuesday).

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 am

Candy's dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.
:lol:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Colorado Avalanche
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 am

bigger is always better

Great Job

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:57 am

Excellent news, Trev. PDT_Armataz_01_37

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:56 am

Perhaps a merge thread is in order? ;)

http://www.canadaka.net/modules.php?nam ... highlight=

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:49 pm

I wanted to create a topic for each community.

I ran into some problems with the data migration, but worked them out today. For now the recent topics lists on either site won't show posts/topics from the other site. But may open up some forums later, after the switchover bugs are worked through.

The DNS on the new Vive le Canada site should have gone through by now for most people, so you can checkout their new site. I kept it pretty simple for now, I will be adding more features in the future.

The data migration bumbed the total forums posts count up by 80-90 thousand, which will help the forums reach 1million posts within months. :)

Next week i will probably work on some content sharing, like sharing of news items between the sites.