canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
I think Im going to go with the Tamron, I just can shell out the bucks right now for a top end lens and the reviews have pretty much sold me on it.

You will have to wait my pretty, some day you will be mine.... Image :cry:

most of that could be homemade

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Damn, I should have waited one more day. I just sold my saxophone (which I never play) for $625. Im debating on taking the lens back and either upgrading, exchanging it for a Rebel 2Ti or just putting the $625 toward a new iPhone for Mrs Fawkes for her Bday.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:49 pm

the iphone might not net you any action

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Ok, I think a 50 on your crop is too long. Take it back and get the Canon 35 F2. It's a full stop faster than the Sig(which means it can shoot in half the light of the Sig) and is well regarded.

About the same price too. Your current Rebel is more than up to the job.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:51 pm

This one.

Attachments:
Canon-EF-35mm-f-2_0-Lens.jpg
Canon-EF-35mm-f-2_0-Lens.jpg [ 33.22 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:52 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Ok, I think a 50 on your crop is too long. Take it back and get the Canon 35 F2. It's a full stop faster than the Sig(which means it can shoot in half the light of the Sig) and is well regarded.

I'll try and take er back, I will have to get the lens on order though. They didnt have many Canon lenses, the only prime they had in canon was a 50 1.8. Ya the stores here suck hard.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

I'll try and take er back, I will have to get the lens on order though. They didnt have many Canon lenses, the only prime they had in canon was a 50 1.8. Ya the stores here suck hard.

The 50 1.8 my be cheap and nasty but it is a very good lens mate! The 35 will give you a very similar focal length on a crop to a 50. The reason a 50 is such a well used lens is its view is very close to that of the human eye.

Last edited by EyeBrock on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:56 pm

wow people still use 35mm?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:05 pm

They do in my world ASL!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:25 pm

you will want a prime lens. I'd recommend a 50mm, its the same length you'd use for portrait. try to stay with the Cannon lenses, the sigma lenses and the other 3rd party lenses are lower quality than the Cannons.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:27 pm

ASLplease ASLplease:
wow people still use 35mm?

35mm is still the best focal. I miss my old 35mm Ricoh Point and Shoot.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Can I ask what you guys mean by "crop" camera, and "prime" lens?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:09 am

A prime lens is a fixed-focal length lens, as in not a zoom. Primes have an advantage that they are lighter and can shoot in much lower light than zooms. They also let the photographer isolate the subject with a nice out-of-focus background blur (Bokeh).

A crop camera is one that has a smaller sensor than a full frame (equivalent to the old 35mm film size). This means that the smaller sensor sees the focal length of a lens with a 1.6 x factor or whatever size the sensor is.

A 24mm wide angle lens becomes a not very wide 39mm lens. On the long side a 70-200 zoom gives the view of a 112-320mm.

I prefer full frame as it gives the view the lens was intended to be used at. Most lens companies produce lenses that can only be used on crop cameras as well as the FF lenses which can usually be used on crop and FF cameras.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:49 am

It seems Im going to have to stick with the Sigma, they wont be able to get the 35 in till mid Nov. :x Chances are I'll keep the lens for a while until I get get a decent L series.