Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Hey all, with little Fawkes on the way I am looking to get a new lens. Something that will help me get some of those all important baby shots. Im still using a Canon Rebel XSi, and I have the kit lens a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (crap) which is starting wear out. The only other lens I have is a telephoto, so unless I want to stand at the other end of the room its pretty useless for baby pictures. The main problem I have is the price, again with a baby coming I wont be able to drop a grand on a new lens. Any suggestions? :(

Im thinking of just sticking it out with the crappy kit lens and go for this http://www.bushhawk.com/_product_39233/Professional_Kit Im sure I would get more use out of a new wide or standard zoom lens, but that camera mount looks SOOOOOOOO cool. [drool]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 pm

I have the exact same camera, and the same lens. It's been alright for baby pics, I also have the EF-S 55-250 which has been pretty good too. You don't quite have to be across the room, but it is actually nice to have the telephoto. It's let me get some good close-ups without the getting in the baby's face and causing her to quit doing whatever she's doing that's worth taking a picture of.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Ya the telephoto I have is the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, takes wonderful pictures, but the only way I could see getting a good picture with be if I was outside or he was on the floor.

I also have to invest in a flash, I hate that camera crap is so expensive. :cry:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Doesn't the camera have a built in flash?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Unsound Unsound:

Ya, but its pretty weak.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:39 pm

EB recommended a 50mm 1.8 lens and I'm pretty impressed so far.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Unsound Unsound:

Ya, but its pretty weak.

True, but personally i've found it works fine for the baby pics. Chances are you're not gonna send junior 100 yards down the road to pose anyways, right? Personally I'd give it try, especially since money is a concern.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Huh, really? Damn, I'll have to check it. I will still be able to get my camera mount [drool]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Huh, really? Damn, I'll have to check it. I will still be able to get my camera mount [drool]

Well priced at $140.00

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Hey all, with little Fawkes on the way I am looking to get a new lens. Something that will help me get some of those all important baby shots. Im still using a Canon Rebel XSi, and I have the kit lens a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (crap) which is starting wear out. The only other lens I have is a telephoto, so unless I want to stand at the other end of the room its pretty useless for baby pictures. The main problem I have is the price, again with a baby coming I wont be able to drop a grand on a new lens. Any suggestions? :(

Im thinking of just sticking it out with the crappy kit lens and go for this http://www.bushhawk.com/_product_39233/Professional_Kit Im sure I would get more use out of a new wide or standard zoom lens, but that camera mount looks SOOOOOOOO cool. [drool]

For a good cheap, but optically good lens, on a crop camera, Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a good low light, fast zoom lens with a very useful focal range.

The real dogs bollocks for a Canon crop is the EFS 17-55 2.8 IS. Great focal range, F2.8 so fast and great in low light, plus it has three stop IS. That means you could get the 10th second silky look on fast moving water hand-held in low light.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx

Two full frame "L" lenses are also worth a look at. Plus they will be fine if you decide to go full frame in the future as EF-s lenses only fit 1.6 crop cameras.

The 17-40 F4 and the 16-35 II 2.8.

Both very nice lenses but the 16-35 is superb.

For a good cheap, but optically good lens, on a crop camera, Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a good low light, fast zoom lens with a very useful focal range.

The real dogs bollocks for a Canon crop is the EFS 17-55 2.8 IS. Great focal range, F2.8 so fast and great in low light, plus it has three stop IS. That means you could get the 10th second silky look on fast moving water hand-held in low light.

Two full frame "L" lenses are also worth a look at. Plus they will be fine if you decide to go full frame in the future as EF-s lenses only fit 1.6 crop cameras.

The 17-40 F4 and the 16-35 II 2.8.

Both very nice lenses but the 16-35 is superb.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... views.aspx

The Digital Picture is a highly regarded site so I've included review links, 'cos I'm a geek.

Last edited by EyeBrock on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

The 50 1.8 is a great lens but can be a bit 'long' on a crop for indoor. The 35 F2.0 USM is a good value lens that will give you a 'normal' lens focal length equivalent of 56mm at really low light. Candle light portraits and all that.

That said, the 50 f1.8 is great value and is optically very good.

Shooting with a prime is somehow more involved. You have to walk instead of zooming. It encourages better composition which is evident already in Gunnairs recent shots on the Still Life thread.

Such large apertures also mean that the focal plane or depth of field is very shallow.
That’s the bit that’s in focus on a shot.

Large aperture lenses can have a focal length of 2-4 cm. That means that you guys from Nose City could have in focus nostrils and out-of-focus eyes.

It takes a bit of getting used to but Gunnair seems to be adapting quickly. Bloody Jock fishead!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Unsound Unsound:

Ya, but its pretty weak.

I have the 580 and 270EX. The 580 is the flash that will do any job. Powerful, fast recycle and weather proof. But its also nearly $700 bucks including taxes at Henrys.

The 430 EX II is a very good , full featured flash and is $450 with taxes.

The 270 is basic but I find I pick it up more often for fill-in an a sunny day or indoor use when the 580 is overkill. It has a full 90 degree tilt for bounce flash which gives a much nicer look than the pop-up flash.

I really like it. Its $230- ish with taxes.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 pm

I think Im going to go with the Tamron, I just can shell out the bucks right now for a top end lens and the reviews have pretty much sold me on it.

You will have to wait my pretty, some day you will be mine.... Image :cry:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:09 am

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
I think Im going to go with the Tamron, I just can shell out the bucks right now for a top end lens and the reviews have pretty much sold me on it.

You will have to wait my pretty, some day you will be mine.... Image :cry:

The Tams are pretty good. I had a 17-35 F2.8-4 zoom which I rather liked. The 17-50 2.8 non VC/IS is the better of the two versions of the lens.

Give me a pm and I can suggest a good source for gently used lenses on a camera forum I am on.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:43 pm

After looking through the forum and haggling with a few people I decided to go local (this way I can have the lens before little fawkes is here). All the stores around here are pretty limited to what they have in stock, but I was able to try out a few Tamron and Sigma zooms as well as some primes. I liked the 50mm f/1.8 but the cheap body and loud as hell motor turned me off, and it wasnt until I got to the Marco lenses that I started seeing something I liked. I ended up getting a Sigma 50mm F2.8 DG (FX), its pretty decent and still under budget for what I was looking at.