canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:41 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Quebec = French culture, as in from France. Not distinct at all, just French.

Ensured by the British and Canadian governments as well

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 am

Mustang1 Mustang1:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Ensured by the British and Canadian governments as well

Often!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 pm

What I find funny is how many Quebecers say the rest of Canada has no culture. It's like for them, having a different language equals culture.

If that certainly is the case, then if Quebec spoke english, Quebec would have no culture, hence why they're so paranoid of losing it.

P.S. Quebec has no distinct culture if language is the only thing they can(and often) throw at us.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Joebine Joebine:
Mustang still didn't answer the question !

If Canada and Quebec would have both their independance, what would be so disturbing in your life ?

I mean, Czech Republic and Solvakia Republic are separated since 1992 and both live well and without any big problems. And since 30 years, there is more and more country that became independant, not less ! Thats a fact Canadian people dont get. People's independance, in today's world is always relevent, even if some would like the opposite.

My belief, is that english canadians want to hold every pieces of this state together, because they don't want to let away any of their power. An independant Quebec would let Canada with less power than now. For me thats it, it's a neo-colonialist thought that make Canadians dont accept Quebec nationalism and sovereignism.

To all who read, ask yourself the real question, what in a Quebec's independance I could not accept ?

Wanna know the difference between Quebec/Canada and the other nations you pointed out? For some unknown retarded reason, the separatists seem to think that sovereignty/association is gonna fly with the rest of the country. And THAT is what is disturbing, you dumbfucks thinking we're still gonna babysit you after you separate.
You morons get the lion's share of the federal transfer payments and you STILL can't get your shit together. How the hell do yo think yer gonna fare when the rest of Canada isn't spoon-feeding your province anymore?
Just do us all a big favour, shut the hell up and separate already!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Here's the real issue - separtists are sore losers. They lost the referendums, they lost the argument and all they can do now is bitch and whine about their make-belief nation. They're nothing more than intellectual wannabes pushing a bigoted worldview that hinges on cultural insecurity. The minute they're actually confronted, they dodge, ignore, waffle and cut in run, because many of the parrots that flock around internet forums truly lack any knowledge about the issue. It's all empty rhetoric.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Oh and Joebine? I wasn't one of those that fell for the great Quebec love-in of '95.

My slogan at the time was; "My Canada includes Quebec...shutting the hell up and getting the hell out."
So you see, we both have the same agenda. You don't wanna be part of Canada and I don't want you to be part of Canada. Let's see if we can work together to achieve our mutual goals. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
Here's the real issue - separtists are sore losers. They lost the referendums, they lost the argument and all they can do now is bitch and whine about their make-belief nation. They're nothing more than intellectual wannabes pushing a bigoted worldview that hinges on cultural insecurity. The minute they're actually confronted, they dodge, ignore, waffle and cut in run, because many of the parrots that flock around internet forums truly lack any knowledge about the issue. It's all empty rhetoric.

Could be worse, they could mimmick the US Tea Party Movement.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:31 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Big wrong there my friend.. Québec culture is based on some cultural similarities of France but there is much that has developed since their arrival in North America... perhaps in Montréal there is a European flavour as well as in Québec city.. but head to rural Québec and the Gaspésie and you will find the true Québois culture...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Joebine Joebine:
Mustang still didn't answer the question !

If Canada and Quebec would have both their independance, what would be so disturbing in your life ?

I mean, Czech Republic and Solvakia Republic are separated since 1992 and both live well and without any big problems. And since 30 years, there is more and more country that became independant, not less ! Thats a fact Canadian people dont get. People's independance, in today's world is always relevent, even if some would like the opposite.

My belief, is that english canadians want to hold every pieces of this state together, because they don't want to let away any of their power. An independant Quebec would let Canada with less power than now. For me thats it, it's a neo-colonialist thought that make Canadians dont accept Quebec nationalism and sovereignism.

To all who read, ask yourself the real question, what in a Quebec's independance I could not accept ?

I'd love to get rid of Quebec from Canada. Besides the occasional decent hockey player to emit from that Province, that's about all you provide Canada in general....on top of the usual "I'm special cause I'm from Quebec" bullshit.

I'd love to see Quebec form their own Nation. The costs to create your own currency and the devastation that will have on your economy will be fun to watch from outside Quebec.

If anyone from Quebec thinks that separating from Canada will be an easy task, you're being very naive. It'll be financially devastating to your Province.

You want to be your own Nation, cut ties with Canada and run on your own.

We'll be there every step of the way to watch you fall flat on your face.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:42 pm

OnTheIce... you are such a tool... end of story

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:57 pm

kenmore kenmore:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Big wrong there my friend.. Québec culture is based on some cultural similarities of France but there is much that has developed since their arrival in North America... perhaps in Montréal there is a European flavour as well as in Québec city.. but head to rural Québec and the Gaspésie and you will find the true Québois culture...

And I agree ken. It just shows the absurdity of our feisty Little New France guys argument.

Canada has a distinct culture. A great mix of American Loyalists, Québécois, First Nations, refugee Brits and Paddy's, the Italians, Ukrainians, Chinese etc, and lets not forget the French influences too. We are all parts of smaller sub-cultures within Canada.

The UK is a mix of the Britons, Celts, Gaels, Germanic tribes, Vikings (Norse), the Romans, the Norman French. Then there are the newer influences from the Indian Sub-continent that find a good fit with the Brit culture.
The US is British culture taken to a new level with many more cultural mixes thrown in and the class system thrown out.

National culture is ever changing, that's why people have a hard time defining it in anything besides language or religion. All you have to do is go anywhere else but Canada and you know what you miss about this excellent country and it's great culture and rich heritage, and that includes Quebec.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:49 pm

kenmore kenmore:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Dude, I've been to rural Quebec and never before have I seen so many old ladies with poorly dyed orange hair, fat truckers and "laine pur" people guzzling down pepsi and poutine. :lol:

Just my observations from experience. :P

But Quebec City and Montreal are fantastic cities with some nice European flavours.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:52 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
kenmore kenmore:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

And I agree ken. It just shows the absurdity of our feisty Little New France guys argument.

Canada has a distinct culture. A great mix of American Loyalists, Québécois, First Nations, refugee Brits and Paddy's, the Italians, Ukrainians, Chinese etc, and lets not forget the French influences too. We are all parts of smaller sub-cultures within Canada.

The UK is a mix of the Britons, Celts, Gaels, Germanic tribes, Vikings (Norse), the Romans, the Norman French. Then there are the newer influences from the Indian Sub-continent that find a good fit with the Brit culture.
The US is British culture taken to a new level with many more cultural mixes thrown in and the class system thrown out.

National culture is ever changing, that's why people have a hard time defining it in anything besides language or religion. All you have to do is go anywhere else but Canada and you know what you miss about this excellent country and it's great culture and rich heritage, and that includes Quebec.

Marvelously said EyeBrock. Reading and learning about Canadian history and travelling around the country and the world has helped open my eyes to Canada's many cultural quirks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Since the moderators erased last topic. I'm gonna put my answer here on your stance on the fact that we should learn chinese : À bon entendeur :

我知道. 我就会说中文.中国是很有意思的国家了! 我两个半月住在中国学习汉语.

Last edited by Joebine on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:59 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
What I find funny is how many Quebecers say the rest of Canada has no culture. It's like for them, having a different language equals culture.

Not really, thats not what I said.I know that Quebec has a different culture than France. The United-States as well has a different culture than the UK. But english Canada is the same as United States, at least the nortern states, with some exceptions on little details like its loyalism to UK crown and I almost forgot the one big distinct feature, the fact that you say "eh" instead of "uh" !

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  10  11 ... 13  Next