CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Oh and Joebine? I wasn't one of those that fell for the great Quebec love-in of '95.

My slogan at the time was; "My Canada includes Quebec...shutting the hell up and getting the hell out."
So you see, we both have the same agenda. You don't wanna be part of Canada and I don't want you to be part of Canada. Let's see if we can work together to achieve our mutual goals. :wink:

Great now you're talking ! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

I'd love to get rid of Quebec from Canada. (...)
I'd love to see Quebec form their own Nation.

well that was not expected, but I'm winning people to my cause !

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
We'll be there every step of the way to watch you fall flat on your face.

I'm afraid that we will probably disappoint you on that point. I don't think we gonna "fall flat on our face". But believe it if you wish, the important thing is that youd'love to see Quebec having it's own state.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:18 am

Joebine Joebine:

No, you're not. The majority of your own province rejects your silly cause.

$1:
I'm afraid that we will probably disappoint you on that point. I don't think we gonna "fall flat on our face". But believe it if you wish, the important thing is that youd'love to see Quebec having it's own state.

Oh...you'll fall flat on your face as you'll be partitioned geographically, ostracized economically and abandoned industrially/manufacturing. Keep your empty "beliefs" while the rest of us live in the real world and 21st century.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:02 am

While Canada may have sub-cultures descended from the Old World with an New World twist, these aren't enclaves - each culture contributes to the broader national culture forming a uniquely pan-Canadian culture. How many of you painted Easter Eggs as kids? Why does every province have a tartan? Bagpipes? French and Celtic fiddle? What about voyageurs and explorers, aren't we all descended from them? The democratic political ideal itself comes from loyalists fleeing the 13 colonies. A unique, shared history has bound us all together and shaped our cultural and political institutions to reflect that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 am

Joebine Joebine:
Since the moderators erased last topic. I'm gonna put my answer here on your stance on the fact that we should learn chinese : À bon entendeur :

我知道. 我就会说中文.中国是很有意思的国家了! 我两个半月住在中国学习汉语.

I never said we should learn Chinese, but that Chinese becoming far more spread out through the world because of China rising as a superpower is inevitable and is already starting to happen.

You also seem to have forgotten that I mentioned that in a few years, China will become the world's largest English-speaking nation. Putz.

And congratulations on knowing Chinese. Seems like you certainly had a fun time for your two and a half month stay.

我学会中文

Yes, I know mine sucks. So says my friend Fang Zhou. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:15 am

Joebine Joebine:
Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
What I find funny is how many Quebecers say the rest of Canada has no culture. It's like for them, having a different language equals culture.

Not really, thats not what I said.

I never said it was you so stop thinking it was directed at you.

$1:
I know that Quebec has a different culture than France.

And Canada has a different culture than either the UK or the USA. Great, case closed.

$1:
The United-States as well has a different culture than the UK.

Indeed they do.

$1:
But english Canada is the same as United States, at least the nortern states, with some exceptions on little details like its loyalism to UK crown and I almost forgot the one big distinct feature, the fact that you say "eh" instead of "uh" !

No, it's not. You would know that if you spent any amount of time there. Granted, we are rather similar to the New England States but they are a minority with regards to the large-scale mainstream American culture that tends to focus on "Americana"/Midwest and its southern States.

And actually, I don't find that many Canadians who say "eh" unless we're doing it to be ironic. And you certainly are ignorant if you believe that saying "eh" is all that makes English Canada different. If you're gonna take that road, then I'm gonna take the road where I say this:

"Quebec is nothing more than English Canada but with French."

Think about it; we all love poutine, maple syrup, skiing, bacon and have lots of bumpy hills and forests and rivers and lakes. The only difference is that you guys speak French. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:20 am

Joebine Joebine:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

I'd love to get rid of Quebec from Canada. (...)
I'd love to see Quebec form their own Nation.

ROTFL

You haven't been here long enough to know that OnTheIce is being ironic and is full of nothing but reviled feelings for Quebec. :P

You're not winning people to cause; just running into people from the West who think you're a bunch of useless whiners. :P :lol:

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
We'll be there every step of the way to watch you fall flat on your face.

I'm afraid that we will probably disappoint you on that point. I don't think we gonna "fall flat on our face". But believe it if you wish, the important thing is that youd'love to see Quebec having it's own state.[/quote]

You don't believe you will? Okay then, let's examine...

What will you do when Ottawa stops paying you guys Billions of dollars annually?

What will you do when companies like Bombardier move away? They have been on record saying that if Quebec seperates they will move out of the province.

What will you do when the Federal Government holds onto its land and property in Quebec?

What will you do about the Canadian Military Bases? Don't bet on you guys being allowed to keep those and all that lies inside them.

What will you do about the Natives and others who wish to seperate from Quebec and rejoin Canada?

What will you do if Canada decides to block you from NAFTA?

I'd really like to hear your answers to these.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 am

Joebine, by your comments your are simply not helping your cause. You come to an Anglophone site and write provoking comment and wait to see their response. You could always do it in a respectful manner. Btw, the same could be said for the ignorant comments from both sides, as for the Quebec bashing seen on some other threads.

The sovereignist movement along with the PQ and the 101 Bill cannot tolerate English in the province, then say that it is unfair because French is not prominent thoughout the rest of the country. Sure, Charest had mentionned something about it for the Vancouver games, but he's becoming a closet nationalist anyways. Perhaps you could vote for the PLQ next election :lol: .

It is the constant whining whenever ''separatists'' do no get their way, that's getting a lil' old. Mustang1 appropriately stated, the majority of Quebecers do not support sovereignty. That very fact is often overlooked. We should be unifying this great country of ours.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 am

People like Joebine disgrace themselves and further sink their movement into the epistemological abyss it starts out in when they feel that affirming their own so-called 'identity' begins by attempting (and failing) to legitimately denigrate that of another. It's pathetic. Any idiot, at least if he is well travelled and perceptive, knows that Canada doesn't really resemble the States in any way other than superficially.

Joebine mentions that the Northern US and Canada are identical, which is totally untrue and in you want a first example of proof while think of the fact that the majority of US northerners speak with radically different accents than Canadians in any part of the country (think New York, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit etc...) Do you know anyone in Canada who talks like them? Me neither.

As for things like pop culture, all countries essentially consume the same American pop culture these days (Quebec included), with only minor local additions to any of the menus.

Canada and the US have different national identities, we just watch the same TV shows. Quebec watches mostly the same ones as well, only dubbed in French.

And Joebine doesn't "live in the same country" as someone who doesn't know the Cowboys Fringants ? WTF? So some shitty hippie band is the basis of your identity now? Bravo.

Moi, je connais les Cowboys Fringants ainsi que leurs maints imitateurs sur la scène musicale québécoise et j'en suis franchement déçu. Je déteste cette musique cacophonique dont il n'y a pas une seule écoute sans qu'on ait droit à une leçon en petite politique. C'est ça, les CF et leurs émules ne sont rien sur quoi bâtir une identité ni un pays et je peux très bien m'en passer, merci.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:38 am

MacDonaill MacDonaill:
People like Joebine disgrace themselves and further sink their movement into the epistemological abyss it starts out in when they feel that affirming their own so-called 'identity' begins by attempting (and failing) to legitimately denigrate that of another. It's pathetic. Any idiot, at least if he is well travelled and perceptive, knows that Canada doesn't really resemble the States in any way other than superficially.

Joebine mentions that the Northern US and Canada are identical, which is totally untrue and in you want a first example of proof while think of the fact that the majority of US northerners speak with radically different accents than Canadians in any part of the country (think New York, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit etc...) Do you know anyone in Canada who talks like them? Me neither.

As for things like pop culture, all countries essentially consume the same American pop culture these days (Quebec included), with only minor local additions to any of the menus.

Canada and the US have different national identities, we just watch the same TV shows. Quebec watches mostly the same ones as well, only dubbed in French.

And Joebine doesn't "live in the same country" as someone who doesn't know the Cowboys Fringants ? WTF? So some shitty hippie band is the basis of your identity now? Bravo.

Moi, je connais les Cowboys Fringants ainsi que leurs maints imitateurs sur la scène musicale québécoise et j'en suis franchement déçu. Je déteste cette musique cacophonique dont il n'y a pas une seule écoute sans qu'on ait droit à une leçon en petite politique. C'est ça, les CF et leurs émules ne sont rien sur quoi bâtir une identité ni un pays et je peux très bien m'en passer, merci.

R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:48 pm

stemmer stemmer:
Canada borrows/begs/steals the best of other cultures and morphs it into Canadian culture.. Remember when Woody Guthrie & Pete Seeger wrote "This Land is Your Land" how we morphed the lyrics into a Canadian version...

The films, movies, video games, comic books, tv shows from America influence us more then most of the stuff made in Canada... Other then Hockey Night in Canada, Canadians care more about the next big Hollywood blockbuster or the next episode of CSI or Lost then anything filmed in Canada...Just look at the Canadian tv audience for this year's Superbowl...

Canada seems to be doing ok in music but most of the Canadian artist really don't cosider themselves a success until they break into the USA music scene...

Do we have a Canadian competitor to Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Playboy, Penthouse, Time/Life, Rolling Stone, Car & Driver, Car Craft, Sports Illustrated... Yeah we have Canadian magazines like McLeans or but do they impact us like their American counterpart?

Most Canadian children know of Batman or Spiderman but few ever heard of Captain Canuck...

LA or New York City influence us more culturally then Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver...

The reason Canadians watch Hollywood movies/TV over are own directly stems from the production budgets each have. ‘Big budget’ films in Canada maybe have a $10 million budget (like Passchendale), most of which comes from film grants from cities, provinces and the federal government. Meanwhile, an indie film in the US has a budget of $5, and big budget movies down south have budgets of a minimum of $50 million. Blockbusters like Avatar have budgets well over $150 million. If Canadian filmmakers could raise $100 million for a single movie, then there would be far more Canadians watching Canadian movies. Even despite this, there are low budget success stories like the Saw franchise, developed by Lionsgate Films from Vancouver.

It’s the same on TV, where our game shows give away vacuum cleaners, while theirs give away new cars or $1 million. Shows like Lost have spend more on production for an episode or two than Canadian shows can spend for an entire season.

stemmer stemmer:
Or because a lot of the stuff we produce is medicore and without the protection of the CRTC it would not survive on it's own...

The CRTC allows Canadian networks and cable providers to pickup US feeds for the Superbowl or ABC's Lost then demands they replace the American ads with Canadian ones...

If a program, movie, music, video game is good, it will survive on it's own merits and shouldn't rely on taxpayers money to assist it...

Actually, it’s the Canadian networks that demand the right to sell their own advertising, not the government.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:32 pm

stemmer stemmer:
$1:
Brenda - I don't agree with you. I think people look up to the states, which is imo absolutely unnecessary.

Not sure what you mean but are you suggesting you don't watch American movies, American tv shows, listen to American music or read American literature or publications?

Oh, you mean all the American movies, television shows, music, and books that are written and produced in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver? Yah, it must suck to have Americans force all their Canadian culture down your throats. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:39 pm

MacDonaill MacDonaill:

SNAP!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
stemmer stemmer:
$1:
Brenda - I don't agree with you. I think people look up to the states, which is imo absolutely unnecessary.

Not sure what you mean but are you suggesting you don't watch American movies, American tv shows, listen to American music or read American literature or publications?

Oh, you mean all the American movies, television shows, music, and books that are written and produced in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver? Yah, it must suck to have Americans force all their Canadian culture down your throats. :lol:

Hey now, watch yer step you Shatner stealing Mexico toucher :lol: [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:

You don't believe you will? Okay then, let's examine...

What will you do when...

Arky, adding to your points you can add these:

What will Quebec do when the USA requires the CF to move all sensitive military technology out of Quebec? In 1995 the US notified the CF that any CF-18 on the ground in Quebec after secession was subject to destruction by US forces and the CF-18's and other sensitive military tech were, indeed, removed from Quebec during the vote.

What will Quebec do when the US requires them to negotiate their own trade treaties?

What will Quebec do when the US takes Canada's side on the division of northern Quebec? Quebec may be allowed to secede with their southern portion, but the US will not tolerate a Canada that is divided in two by a more or less hostile country. We'll predictably stand by Canada as Canada takes the northern half of Quebec for the new railways and the rerouted Canada Route 1.

What will Quebec do when the US responds to their inevitable courting of anti-American governments by designating Quebec as a controlled country for trade purposes?

And, finally, what will Quebec do when the US and Canada interdict ships from Iran, North Korea, Cuba, and Venezuela heade for Quebec ports?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next