canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:58 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:

I'm not...separatists are idiots. And now they're rats leaving the sinking ship.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
DerbyX DerbyX:

I'm not...separatists are idiots. And now they're rats leaving the sinking ship.

I'd hardly say they're rats leaving the ship when it's only one of their most respected former leaders and the PQ say that they'll still move forward with their agenda.

They're more like the idiots on the Titanic who upon hearing the ship was sinking laughed and said "it's unsinkable!" and then all died horrid deaths.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Rather than the US annexing Canada why doesn't Canada annex the US?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
kenmore kenmore:
You are absolutely right.. many Americans from Vermont inter-married with Québcois(e) and there are some very strong french accents in that area. I have relatives in Bennington Vt. and some in Stanstead Québec. My cousins in Vermont speak better french than I do.. The french who settled in Canada (before the British) have managed to spread their seed in many parts of the US...

And out west. Let's not forget the Metis.

Absolutely!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:46 pm

PimpBrewski123 PimpBrewski123:
DerbyX DerbyX:

:)

I was searching for an English article to post about this matter.

There have always been quarrels inside the Parti Quebecois for as long as the party itself. They are always disputing amongst their ranks, yet there are still separatist partisans that still vote for them anyways. Now, it's time for those nationalists ''sheeple'' in the province to realize that the PQ and the sovereignty issue is irrelevant.

The PQ has lost credibility. They are so tunnel visioned that they have become racist and anti-semites. They are trying hard to win over those who feel that to live in Québec one has to be pure Québecois and that the absolute protection of the language and culture gives them the right to exclude others.. They will slowly dwindle into oblivion.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 pm

The fact that the PQ never abandonned the sovereignty issue. It's pointless.

Marois has double standards, during the previous provincial election had discarded sovereignty and she was actually in favour of it a few months later.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Canada has no culture.......yes we have.

I'm currently growing a penicillin culture in Agar Agar.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 pm

GreenTiger GreenTiger:

Because NYC alone has more police officers than there are soldiers in the Canadian Forces?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 pm

GreenTiger GreenTiger:

Because NYC alone has more police officers than there are soldiers in the Canadian Forces?

We'll just Fire them if they put up a fuss. :o

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:23 am

sandorski sandorski:
GreenTiger GreenTiger:

We'll just Fire them if they put up a fuss. :o

Oh yeah, sure. That'll go over real well. Have you BEEN to NYC? :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:20 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Canada has no culture.......yes we have.

I'm currently growing a penicillin culture in Agar Agar.

Me too, except mine is on an orange I forgot at the bottom of the fruit bowl.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 am

I really really wanna see Joebine and Alexandre come back to this thread. If only for amusement purposes. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 am

MacDonaill MacDonaill:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
MacDonaill MacDonaill:
Joebine mentions that the Northern US and Canada are identical, which is totally untrue and in you want a first example of proof while think of the fact that the majority of US northerners speak with radically different accents than Canadians in any part of the country (think New York, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit etc...) Do you know anyone in Canada who talks like them? Me neither.

These dialectic similarities have nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with regional location. Those of us near the border share a lot more with our American brethren than most people realize.

Despite what you may have noticed, there is significant documentation suggesting the contrary, and not only that, but that the accents on either side of border in the most densely populated regions are actually moving farther apart as time goes by. Like it or not, an international border (as unguarded as it once may have been) does act as a linguistic divide, similarities aside.

If I had to offer my own anecdotal evidence to counter yours, I wouldn't have to think back very far. Trip to Buffalo last year to visit a friend. I live two hours away from him in Ontario, but I was literally shocked by the working-class Buffalo accent and by how different the vowel sounds were from those just over the border, especially the 'A' sound.

Actually, having spent a significant part of my childhood in Upstate NY in the Adirondacks, I remember always knowing when people came from the city (any big city in NY, not just NYC) because they all had very strong accents compared to those of the mountain folks. Their accents had much more diphthongised vowels and were most frequently non-rhotic, meaning they didn't pronounce final R's (like the Brits or the Aussies). You don't find this phenomenon anywhere in Canada. All local accents are strictly rhotic, and vowels are less diphthongised.

All that being said, in the end we do speak the same language and the differences are pallid compared to the similarities. It's only to be expected and it is not a unique situation in the world. Think of Austria and Germany, Francophone Belgium, Switzerland and France, Italophone Switzerland and Italy, Australia and New Zealand and then of course all the Hispanophone countries in Latin America. It doesn't keep them from being different countries and having a distinct culture each one, even though the similarities outweigh the differences in pretty much every case.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you knew more about it than someone who actually spent more than half his life living in border cities. THis isn't a case of me visiting those places once. I lived it, I heard it and I saw it every day for the better part of 25 years. That 'A' sound can be heard quite clearly in the speech of Windsorites and residents of Niagara Falls. Not as pronounced but it IS there.
Now, I won't argue the point that those similarities are getting farther apart. My guess is that has more to do with cable TV than anything else. Like I said, in the border cities I lived in, you had a choice of the CBC and several local US stations. IF you spend your life watching TV from Detroit, listening to radio stations from Detroit, yer gonna talk like yer from Detroit.
This phenomenon can be seen when you travel to foreign countries that speak English. Go to Great Britian for a month and I can almost guarantee you'll have an accent by the time you get back.
Like it or not, speech patterns are regional and have dick all to do with borders. I can tell you right now that someone from Northen Ontario is gonna sound different than someone from Southern Ontario, who is going to sound different than someone from Alberta etc etc. I mean hell, a lot people living in Ontario close to the Quebec border have some form of French accent. Why should that effect be any different for those that live close to an international border?
And sorry but, your little anecdote about a one time visit to Buffalo is hardly the same as LIVING in border cities for 25 years. 25 years of experience is not an anecdote.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Go to Great Britian for a month and I can almost guarantee you'll have an accent by the time you get back.

I did a fair chunk of my growing up in Massachussetts and whenever I travel back there I come back to California with the "Bahstahn" accent and it seems to plague me for weeks thereafter. I'd say you're dead on with this point.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Go to Great Britian for a month and I can almost guarantee you'll have an accent by the time you get back.

This is true. I hosted a British kind for a while and some of my family and friends were shocked when a British accent sprang forth from me, and I barely noticed.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 8  9  10  11  12  13  Next