canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:36 pm

so I'm in the market for some really good photo editing software but i have no idea what to get.

suggetstions?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:09 pm

How much are you looking to spend?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Newfette. What camera do you have and what do you need the editing software for? As in are you taking pictures for yourself, or looking to sell them?

I'm a pretty keen photog (not pro) and I find Photoshop Elements does it for me. I'm not really into a lot of post processing and I shoot in RAW, using Canon's DPP to do most stuff I need.

I also have Photoshop CS4 which I never use as it's way more than I need.

Elements is a very good bit of kit and is about $90.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:35 pm

I agree with EB, if you want to spend under $100 photoshop elements 7 is the way to go. If you want a more indept program the prices jump pretty quick. PSE can do pretty much everything, it takes a while to get used to (I still havent figured out all the features) but its easy once you get the hang of it. I also recommend geting a touch pen, its a hell of alot easier to edit with a pen than a mouse.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Elements and Corel Paintshop are the best at an affordable price.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:11 pm

newfette newfette:
so I'm in the market for some really good photo editing software but i have no idea what to get.

suggetstions?

The Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/

Cost - $0

It is fairly decent. It'll get you started at least.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:16 pm

The best photo editing software is Photoshop. That is if you want quality. If you are looking for a cheap one I am sure Adobe or Macromedia (visit there site) has a few options for you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm looking for something to just touch up some pictures. I dont plan on selling them but I do get a lot of people asking for copies of pictures I've taken. and I dont mind sharing them with people I know. however there are always a few things I would like to "fix" in them. I'd like to be able to enhance colours in specific areas and not have to do it to the whole picture. I also ran into some trouble with some sunset pics in florida of a glare spot when taking pics with the sun.

I'll have to check out some of your suggestions.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:41 am

I have Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate, Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 & Corel Painter IX.5.... For photo editing I use Paint Shop Pro 90% of the time and much prefer it over Photoshop Elements... For artsy stuff Painter is the way to go...

My gallery....

http://kenmo.zenfolio.com

Cheers

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:46 am

I'd agree with Stemmer that photoshop is a better program than Adobe Elements but I would also add that photoshop can have a bit of a steep learning curve if you've never used it and it's quite a bit more expensive. If you're looking to just install a program and start editing Elements is a great buy for the price.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:53 am

I did not say Photoshop was better... I did however recommend Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 over Adobe Photoshop Elements....

It's on sale for $79 or upgrade from an earlier version for $49 (prices are Canadian dollars)....

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ ... bview=tab0

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:57 am

oh sorry, :oops: It's early here, haven't had enough coffee yet

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:02 am

Coffee always helps... :D :D :D :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:44 am

I used to use Paintshop and and Elements until I had to take a bunch of classes with Photoshop (now using CS4) and once you get the hang of using CS3 or CS4 you wont want to go back. Personally I would spend the money on CS4. It takes a while to learn but once you learn it its great.

Also are you shooting images in RAW?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:45 pm

No.... I'm fully clothed when I take photos... :D :D :D

When I use my dslr (Olympus E500) I only shot in raw. I have more then enough compact flash cards to allow me to shoot in raw. My pocket camera, a Canon Powershot 610 does not shot in raw, so I shoot in the highest quality jpeg setting...

There is too much detail you can recover from an badly exposed photo when it's in raw... And raw allows for better hdr as well...