Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:37 am

Just some various stuff I've done over the years:

^ Something I did in my own free time during a debate on the seal hunt elsewhere. Intended as a neutral expression any side of the argument should find humorous. Sealee tis be his name.

^ Concept Art Inspired by the song "Scarecrow" from a band called Agents of Balance.

^ Album cover I designed for the band Agents of Balance, inspired by their name. I would have loved to have had a decent photo of someone in a suit in a similar position, but since I couldn't find one or make one, I drew one.

^ Just a mad scientist.

Something I made up while waiting for work at work. The Angry Beaver.

Another thing done in my spare time.... Crazy Monkey

A Grimlin, Ogre, whatever....

^ Le Squid

That's about it for now. I have more at home stored away, but don't have them uploaded anywhere at this time.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:48 am

Excellent work & art...very cool.. You've got talent...

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks.. I got animations too, but haven't had the chance to upload them anywhere yet.

I also have a large selection of signage I've worked on over the years, but didn't think anybody would be interested in that sort of stuff :wink:

I'll also have to upload some of my 3D modeling.

All I've supplied so far was just hand drawn with a touch of photoshop to most except the crazy scientist fella.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:01 am

Cool Prax. Did you study at NSCAD and if so when?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:04 am

Praxius Praxius:
Thanks.. I got animations too, but haven't had the chance to upload them anywhere yet.

I also have a large selection of signage I've worked on over the years, but didn't think anybody would be interested in that sort of stuff :wink:

I'll also have to upload some of my 3D modeling.

All I've supplied so far was just hand drawn with a touch of photoshop to most except the crazy scientist fella.

What app do you use for 3D modeling...???

I dabble in Wings3D, Hexagon and Google Sketchup... Still a newbie when it comes to 3D... I use Vue for compositing and rendering....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:15 am

Stemmer if you use SketchUp then try 3dvia at 3dvia.com I think you'll like it and they have a cool site, and if your using Hexagon why not go with the full DAZ Studio.

I'm also new to 3d. [B-o]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:28 am

Wada Wada:
Cool Prax. Did you study at NSCAD and if so when?

I thought about it, but no, I went to McKenzie College in Halifax one year for Interactive Multimedia, then NSCC for Mechanical Drafting and then back to McKenzie College for Animation.

During my Animation year we were put into a contest between the 2nd year NSCC students and the 2nd year Da'Vinci College students (now the Centre of Arts and Technology I believe) - Our class was only a 1 year course and we pretty much mopped the floor with them, getting gold and silvers in each test.

Of course what helped us was that we went in the day before to setup our computers and made sure everything worked. The other colleges set up an hour before everything started, had all sorts of problems and a few of their systems didn't work.

I did do a March Break thing at NSCAD back in high school where we did sculptures, charcoal and a few other things.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:32 am

stemmer stemmer:
What app do you use for 3D modeling...???

I dabble in Wings3D, Hexagon and Google Sketchup... Still a newbie when it comes to 3D... I use Vue for compositing and rendering....

I first started on 3D Studio Max back in 1998... I liked how it worked, but I didn't realize how limited it was compared to the next program I learned on, which was Maya. (well not so limited, just you had to do a lot more to get the same results as in Maya)

Both are now owned by AutoDesk. Maya is quite the hefty penny, but there is a free version you can download from their site. Some video games that allow you to make your own models such as a few of the Unreal Tournament games came with a light version of Maya you could use. I just checked and there also is a free trial of 3DS Max as well.

3D Studio Max
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... id=5659302

Maya
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... eID=123112

I haven't personally used any of the above programs you mentioned though.

And it has been a number of years since I done anything big in 3D. I did forget most of what I was taught, but it's there somewhere and I quickly get back on track when I need to.

The last big things I worked on were some 3D modeling tutorials for people wanting to work on the Mod for UT2004 - Red Orchestra and for the full game Red Orchestra Ostfront.

I modeled a Sten MKII SMG, Sten MKV SMG, a Panzerschreck and a German Stug III Tank. Took a long time considering I had to go over everything and make screen shots to suit the tutorial.... but was still fun.

I still know most of what I need to know for modeling in Maya, but as it goes for animation, I'm a bit rusty..... that stuff takes a long time as I'm sure you guys know.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:41 am

Right on! I bought a bunch of 3dMax books years ago from a bud who went to McKenzie College and soon dropped out. Glad to see your still envolved in the graphic arts.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:46 am

Thats some wicked cool stuff dude!!! [B-o] :rock:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 am

Wada Wada:
Stemmer if you use SketchUp then try 3dvia at 3dvia.com I think you'll like it and they have a cool site, and if your using Hexagon why not go with the full DAZ Studio.

I'm also new to 3d. [B-o]

Hexagon is a full 3D box modeling app... Daz Studio is for compositing and rendering only with very limited modeling capabilities...

Wings3D is a very good box modeling app that is free...

http://www.wings3d.com/

Quite a few hobbyists at Renderosity use Wings3D...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:53 am

Hexagon 2D is rumoured to be on the latest cover on 3D World magazines...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 am

Cool stuff

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:19 am

I've always wanted ZBrush but it's too expensive for an hobbyist... I later heard of 3DCoat which is touted as a competitor to ZBrush & Mudbox but with an hobbyist price... I recently snapped up 3DCoat and recommend it highly...

http://www.3dcoat.com/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:43 am

Are you left handed, Prax?