Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:44 am

Why is it that stores like 7-11, Macs, Taco Bell, Second Cup, Best Buy, ect are not seen in the Maritimes? Granted there is a Taco Bell in Moncton, but how bad is it when there is only one store in the entire province. It seems to me like Atlantic Canada as a whole is scared of big business, unless it has some tie in with Irving. What is so wrong with being able to pick up a slurpee and nachos at 3am?

I still get a chuckle when I remember that Sunday shopping new thing in Nova Scotia.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:47 am

So impressed that you had to post it twice? :lol:

;-)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:58 am

its a plot by Provi-Soir, they hijack all the trucks headed East. :)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:20 am

Brenda Brenda:
So impressed that you had to post it twice? :lol:

;-)

Did I? 8O

Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:22 pm

They will come in time, but as usual, they wait until the population grows enough that they will support it.

I remember when I moved to NB in 1971 from Ontario. I remember how small the grocerie stores were and the lack of fresh vegetables, and other things I was use to buying, such as Dr. Pepper.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:48 pm

denmns denmns:
They will come in time, but as usual, they wait until the population grows enough that they will support it.

I remember when I moved to NB in 1971 from Ontario. I remember how small the grocerie stores were and the lack of fresh vegetables, and other things I was use to buying, such as Dr. Pepper.

There is still a lack of fresh veggies as far as I am concerned (in my neck of the woods, that is :lol: )

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:42 pm

There is different retail situations across the country.

Loblaws is only in Ontario, as far as I know. We have Sobeys grocery stores here in Manitoba, but I don't think they're nationwide.

IGA still exists in certain areas I believe.

Saveon Foods is exclusive to B.C. and Alberta.

White Spot is exclusive to B.C.

Harveys is pretty Ontario-centric. There is only one Harveys in Manitoba, and that's at the International Airport in Winnipeg.

And yeah, that's the other thing. Stores like Best Buy, The Bay, etc. have to have big markets.

Manitoba has Winnipeg, which is 650,000 people so it can get those big stores. But in the Maritimes you have small cities and small towns, so there is no big hub of population.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:11 pm

westmanguy westmanguy:
There is different retail situations across the country.

Loblaws is only in Ontario, as far as I know. We have Sobeys grocery stores here in Manitoba, but I don't think they're nationwide.

IGA still exists in certain areas I believe.

Saveon Foods is exclusive to B.C. and Alberta.

White Spot is exclusive to B.C.

Harveys is pretty Ontario-centric. There is only one Harveys in Manitoba, and that's at the International Airport in Winnipeg.

And yeah, that's the other thing. Stores like Best Buy, The Bay, etc. have to have big markets.

Manitoba has Winnipeg, which is 650,000 people so it can get those big stores. But in the Maritimes you have small cities and small towns, so there is no big hub of population.

Sobies is nationwide now I think, they have them in Alberta and in NB. Harvey's is another that they have in Alberta and NB. Most of the small towns are within a half an hour of Fredericton, and it is slowly getting better. They are just deciding to put a Costco in North Freddy. Your right though the maritimes does not have the population needed for the large chain stores, its the lack of 7-11s and other small franchises that perlexes me. Most natural New Brunswickers I talk to are a little “confused” about this situation as well though. Some of them feel that businesses like Chapters, Stokes, HMV, Mary Browns, Orange Julius, The Source and Sport Check are all strictly in the east coast. I found this out while looking for gift certificates for family out west. They were shocked and in disbelief when I told them the north side of Edmonton alone have three Future Shops, as well as a Best buy and at least a dozen Sources.

Oh and nice generalization of the maritimes there Tegan, again showing you no nothing about another topic. :roll: Do you have any knowledge of any thread you comment on?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Whitespot has been in Alberta now for over a decade. Harvey's still hasn't got the spread that they have in the east. You gotta wonder at the population levels though. We (a town of 5k) have a good sized Cdn Tire, Walmart with full grocery store, Ramada, Best Western, Timmies, A&W, Mark's and all sort of various smaller stores, motels etc all to serve a population within the area of maybe 10,000. 7/11 has been here for 20 years already.

Oh yeah, the Chamber of Commerce claim to fame:

Fountain Tire Store No 1.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:39 pm

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
Sobies is nationwide now I think, they have them in Alberta and in NB. Harvey's is another that they have in Alberta and NB. Most of the small towns are within a half an hour of Fredericton, and it is slowly getting better. They are just deciding to put a Costco in North Freddy. Your right though the maritimes does not have the population needed for the large chain stores, its the lack of 7-11s and other small franchises that perlexes me. Most natural New Brunswickers I talk to are a little “confused” about this situation as well though. Some of them feel that businesses like Chapters, Stokes, HMV, Mary Browns, Orange Julius, The Source and Sport Check are all strictly in the east coast. I found this out while looking for gift certificates for family out west. They were shocked and in disbelief when I told them the north side of Edmonton alone have three Future Shops, as well as a Best buy and at least a dozen Sources.

I dunno Eisen, I kinda liked the East not having all those chains up
the wazzoo.. the mom and pop stores can be more interesting than the
7-11 stuff.. except the hot dogs at 3 in the morning of course :)

I think its simply population, with a little less disposable income
thrown in.

On the other hand, might be an interesting business opportunity....

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Im not a fan of the Mom and Pop stores, I like going into a store that is clean and I dont have to double check the expiry date on the salt. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:40 pm

Haha :D Don't go to the Extra Foods here in town then!