CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:53 am

Could anyone recommend web sites where I could read up on life in British Columbia, preferably Victoria? I'm an American mulling over the idea of moving there. What is the job market like there, for people in editing (copyediting, writing, proofreading)?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:55 am

From what I heard it's going to cost a lot. Unless you married an Canadian.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 am

If you have a degree in the professions prescribed by NAFTA you can get in without going through Immigration. Otherwise the queue is something like seven years at this time. The employment market prerecession in Victoria and most of Canada was there's lot of competition for good jobs.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:42 am

Probably better off to try and get to Alberta. Recession did hit us, but not as bad as elsewhere, and we seem to be recovering a bit.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:48 am

Victoria is one of the the most expensive places to live in Canada with housing prices being overinflated by about 40%

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:27 pm

ivywmn ivywmn:
Could anyone recommend web sites where I could read up on life in British Columbia, preferably Victoria? I'm an American mulling over the idea of moving there. What is the job market like there, for people in editing (copyediting, writing, proofreading)?

As said, housing is amazingly expensive. Starter homes outside of Victoria proper will begin in the $350,000.00 range, and they ain't much. Condos are similar. It has a high cost of living, but sometimes it's worth it when you consider the weather, the scenery and the ammeneties.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:37 pm

I can attest to that! Still Vancouver is the real housing bubble as CMHC did their survey recently showing home owners are paying up to 70% of income to maintain their mortgages. That is a prime indication of a housing bubble.

For finding work:

http://victoriajobshop.ca/victoria-jobs/

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifieds/jobs

http://www.timescolonist.com/jobs/job-l ... index.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Prepare to live in the Best Place on Earth. Oh, and ya that $Cost. :lol:

As for a Job in the field(Entertainment Industry?), you might want to consult an Association/Guild for info on that.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:31 pm

Go to the mattresses.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:11 am

Media has bit hit hard here....best to test the waters first. Maybe take a trip up here and check it all out, give yourself a month or two to network. but it is expensive to live here.

On a side note...we are expected to get the worst winter in 55 years so it will be stellar boarding this year XD

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:49 am

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
Media has bit hit hard here....best to test the waters first. Maybe take a trip up here and check it all out, give yourself a month or two to network. but it is expensive to live here.

On a side note...we are expected to get the worst winter in 55 years so it will be stellar boarding this year XD

It's actually Booming right now. HST effect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:30 am

Thanks, everyone. You've confirmed my opinion of Canadians as a bunch of cool chaps!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:26 am

ivywmn ivywmn:

I'm a Californian who's owned a home in the Oak Bay neighborhood of Victoria my advice is to buy something that you can rent out if things don't work out. We sold the house in Oak Bay to an over-eager buyer and then we turned around and parlayed the proceeds into two new condos in downtown Victoria. One we rent out and the other is our get-a-way when we can take some time. The taxes on the condos are not bad compared to the house and the rent on the one condo covers costs and a tidy profit for both as we owe no mortgage (we bought them with the net proceeds of the sale of the Oak Bay house).

For an American you'll find employment in Canada to be problematic and you'll also find filing taxes in both countries to be an extraordinary pain in the tookus because both sides have conflicting laws on what's taxable, deductible, and what ends up constituting net and gross income. You need one CPA who's conversant and licensed in both countries to effectively do your taxes. That ain't cheap, but it's worth it.

You're far better off living in Washington and working in Canada (for tax reasons) or, become a Canadian citizen. That's always an option.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 am

You should bring your own pot.
It's considered rude in B.C. to show up and start bugging people for a connection.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:25 am

Chumley Chumley:
You should bring your own pot.
It's considered rude in B.C. to show up and start bugging people for a connection.

XD