Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:14 pm

It is just way way bigger than just marrying more than one person.
As far as I am concerned, you can live with whomever you want, as long as it is consensual, but legally marry more than one is imo not a good idea. I think you should only be able to get benefits (in whatever way) for one. Why should an employer have to pay for your other 6 spouses? What about immigration? "welcome to Canada, sponsor 20 spouses"? What about pensions? What about healthcare? What about any form of assistance? What when 2 in a 5 people marriage want to divorce? Who gets what? Who has right to spousal support? Any form of assistance? What about tax-deductions? What about the children?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:17 pm

$1:
undermined Christian practises - like slavery.

It was the majority evil Christians who fought to end slavery too.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:17 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
The_Doctor The_Doctor:
I know someone who is in a relationship with a husband and wife. I have no issues with it. It's not my problem.

I don't give a shit who messes around and lives with whom. However, legitimizing polygamy just opens the door for all kinds of abuse. If we accept another culture's polygamy laws what's gonna be next? Accepting marriages of children?
If the case of polygamy is argued on the basis or religious freedom, then it's not much of a stretch to argue that one can marry a 12 year old based on that same religious belief. Unfortunately, polygamy just isn't as simple as more than two consenting ADULTS living together as a unit.

Really. Really? Reading this post makes me want to bash my head into my desk until I bleed. Legalising polygamy doesn't open any doors except the one that allows consenting adults to marry more than one partner. We already have laws against child abuse. Nobody said anything about accepting another culture's polygamy laws, we're smart enough to write our own. No one said anything about lowering the age of marriage, because that would mean having to strike down statutory rape law.

This is just like the stupid crap anyone with two brain cells to rub together had to listen to when gay marriage was legalised. "Oh no, now people are going to marry goats and have sex with children!" I mean really, fucking educate yourself about the issue!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:19 pm

$1:
Reading this post makes me want to bash my head into my desk until I bleed.

Go with that feeling!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:24 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:

And?

Last edited by Gunnair on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Brenda Brenda:
The moment you remove Christian morality from the law (thus the foundations on which this country is built), you open the door to any other morality, and lack foundation, which would make the whole country collapse.

I call a mountain of bullshit on this. Christian "morality" is, at best, arbitrary in modern times and, at worst, just plain abusive to anyone who isn't Christian or following whatever your sect of Christianity considers normal.

Our laws need to be based on reason, precedent, and justice, not what a mythological tome says a man from the sky passed down to us.

"Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony." -Monty Python

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:31 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Because, as I love to point out, if you say that marriage is between one man and one woman because of family and social needs, then what happens when three or more gays or lesbians want to be married? Will you put five gay men in jail because they have a common household? If not, then how do you propose to claim equal treatment under the law for heterosexuals?

Why would we need to think about that? Gay marriage is already legal, so this shouldn't even be a question.

$1:
Hate to tell you, kids, but you all popped open Pandora's Box with gay marriage by arguing that no one had a right to dictate who and how you love.

Oh yes, and so much evil has happened since then. Gay people getting married left and right and happily living together, just like they wanted, and of no consequence to you. What tragedy! :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
$1:

And?

So why is slavery a 'Christian' practise??

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:58 pm

romanP romanP:
Do we really have to hash this out? Sex with children is already illegal under statutory rape law, and has nothing to do with anything that should be called polygamy.

You're totally missing the point. I'm not talking about sex with children. Young women in these cults are basically forced into arranged marriages. They're coveted as young teens by the cult elders and brainwashed over years into polygamous marriages. They're most often not married until they're legally adults, but it's still not consentual. Statutory rape laws have nothing to do with this. We're talking about 18, 19, 20 year old women who are being coerced into marrying 75 year old men by threat of shunning. This develops over years, beginning in their early teens. It's behaviour that's also supported by the teen girls' own parents. Their parents see their daughters' marriages to 'The Leader' as a status symbol in the cult community. Do you know how many agencies there are in the USA that exist solely to rescue young women from these types of cults? HUNDREDS. That's a business I don't think we want to import into Canada. Sex with children isn't the issue. It's culturally entrenched sexual exploitation of women of all ages.

romanP romanP:
Real polygamy is something that happens between three or more consenting adults, without coercion.

And I've already declared that I support the right to enter into that sort of marriage. The trouble is that that's Fantasy Land. The reality is that most polygamous relationships are of the cult-variety that I've described above.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
The reality is that most polygamous relationships are of the cult-variety that I've described above.

Not at all. The person I know who is in that relationship is a Wiccan and her husband & wife partners don't have an religion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:08 pm

Because it was.

A point that not all Christian morality is necessarily good.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
And I've already declared that I support the right to enter into that sort of marriage. The trouble is that that's Fantasy Land. The reality is that most polygamous relationships are of the cult-variety that I've described above.

Again, I think that might be the case because it is hidden away. Turn the lights on and I think that those abuses will diminish.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:23 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Because it was.

A point that not all Christian morality is necessarily good.

Slavery was a firmly entrenched societal/legal practise that existed long before Christianity was introduced into European nations. Slavery existed in differing forms throughout the world that weren't 'Christian'. The slave of a wealthy man was more powerful than supposed free men. There were also indentured servitudes, it was used as a punishment for crime, POWs were enslaved, and it was a form of contract work(people could actually sell themselves for a period of time). So which one are talking about? The only slaves who were made so based on religious doctrine were nuns and monks....and that was done through free will.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Slavery came to the USA because the Virgnia colony was settled by merchants. These merchants didn't have the inclination to do agricultural work, so they imported others to do it for them. The devout Christian settlers were Pilgrims and Puritans in Massachusetts. They brought with them a Protestant work ethic and didn't need or want slaves to do their work. Slavery came to the least Christian areas of Colonial America, not the most.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Slavery came to the USA because the Virgnia colony was settled by merchants. These merchants didn't have the inclination to do agricultural work, so they imported others to do it for them. The devout Christian settlers were Pilgrims and Puritans in Massachusetts. They brought with them a Protestant work ethic and didn't need or want slaves to do their work. Slavery came to the least Christian areas of Colonial America, not the most.

Massachusetts was the first slave holding colony.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next