canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:12 pm

Who's with me on this?

I'm kinda new here (BC) and was wondering if this is ever a hot election topic? Do we have any political parties looking to go with public insurance? Or even better, something like Saskatchewan's no fault insurance?

Because I can't show an uninterrupted insurance history (drove a company vehicle in Kentucky so didn't have to insure anything for awhile) my rates are through the roof! They won't accept a clean drivers abstract, won't even look at it.

I looked at buying a little piece of junk truck today, just for bombing back and forth to work. Just buying the legal minimum, no comprehensive, it would cost me 1,300.00 per year to insure a 1,500 dollar truck!!

I'll be paying 230.00 per month for USA Babe's little Chevy Malibu... ...WTF!

BC has to be the worst place in Canada for car insurance, I can't imagine paying more.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:17 pm

When I move out their in a few years I won't be able to afford a car.

Its about $2300 for the 20 year old - 30 year old range.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:22 pm

ICBC sucks. You are correct.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:22 pm

I have no choice. Well, I guess I did, I could have stayed in Penticton, paying about 1300 bucks a month rent and used my bicycle year round. As it is I opted for a mortgage payment instead, but this means a 20 minute drive to work.

Vehicle required I'm afraid.

www.icbcsucks.com

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:32 pm

I pay $700 a year to insure my 2002 Car in BC. Thats cheaper than any of the other Canadian Cities from what I remember learning in high school.

Back in high school we had this report that showed the average cost of an 18 year old to insure a car in all the major Canadian cities, Vanocuver was much lower than most.

I have no complaints.

$1:
Statistics Canada shows that BC rates are lower than most other provinces, and lower than all other provinces with tort systems.

Studies done by other groups, such as the Consumers' Association of Canada, also indicate that BC motorists have among the lowest rates in Canada.

http://www.insurance-canada.ca/consinfo ... to-607.php

That does suck about your previous driving record not having an effect, but I think thats a common things in any province and if you were to move to any country.

I have my nice 40% discount :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Robair Robair:
I looked at buying a little piece of junk truck today, just for bombing back and forth to work. Just buying the legal minimum, no comprehensive, it would cost me 1,300.00 per year to insure a 1,500 dollar truck!!

I like ICBC, but I agree that is fucked up. I don't think private insurance would be much better though.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:37 pm

Every year ICBC is boasting about how much profit they're making, then it almost seems like right after that they're talking about boosting rates.

And come to think of it, where is all that ICBC money going. Have we ever gotten a satisfactory answer? The BC media is pussy. They never really go after ICBC the way they should.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:48 pm

It definately hurts if you can't provide an insurance history to backup your abstract.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 pm

Campbell got an eye on it to privatize it. That’s why they are trying to run so heavy in the black.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:00 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
That does suck about your previous driving record not having an effect, but I think thats a common things in any province and if you were to move to any country.

I've lived in SK, AB and Kentucky. First time I've had to prove a record of uninterrupted insurance.

It's retarded. If you don't own a vehicle for a month you're back to square one?? Am I the only person in BC who has ever taken a job with a company vehicle supplied?

They say a letter from the company I was working for would suffice, that would be great if the company still existed.

Fuck me. I'm pretty much making a car payment every month in insurance alone.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:13 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
I pay $700 a year to insure my 2002 Car in BC. Thats cheaper than any of the other Canadian Cities from what I remember learning in high school.

What would it be in SK? Launch the rate calculator: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/rates/rate_calc.htm

Let me know what you find out... or tell me what you drive and I'll find out.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:31 pm

Get, or keep the Sask plates.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:35 pm

Well I can't do my rate on that site, I don't know what my safety rating would be on there scale. With ICBC I have the Max 40%, I don't have gold star yet though, both my parents do.

for $700 i also don't have collision, i used to be took it off, never been in an accident, and im confident in my driving abilities.

on the SK calculator, even if i choose the max 12 safety rating, its more $$ than I pay in BC.

If your in Penticton, your in an "X" zone i think? so its considerable cheaper than the lower mainland and don't need to do aircare. When i lived in Hope, it was in this X zone. Lots of friends from Chilliwack would register there cars in Hope to get cheaper insurance.

I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 pm

Regina Regina:
Get, or keep the Sask plates.
Don't think I'd get away with that for very long, I'm in a pretty small town with an RCMP detachment...

Besides, anything ever does happen, insurance would be denied.

USABabes malibu? the one that will cost 220/month here? Would cost me 76 bucks in SK. And that crapper truck that would cost me about 110? Under 40 bucks a month in SK.

Any BC residents on here give the SGI rate calculator a try. It's... ...fun? :x

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:41 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
Well I can't do my rate on that site, I don't know what my safety rating would be on there scale. With ICBC I have the Max 40%, I don't have gold star yet though, both my parents do.

for $700 i also don't have collision, i used to be took it off, never been in an accident, and im confident in my driving abilities.

on the SK calculator, even if i choose the max 12 safety rating, its more $$ than I pay in BC.

If your in Penticton, your in an "X" zone i think? so its considerable cheaper than the lower mainland and don't need to do aircare. When i lived in Hope, it was in this X zone. Lots of friends from Chilliwack would register there cars in Hope to get cheaper insurance.

I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent.
You would be at 768/year in SK. That includes collision.