Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:04 am

Hi guy's.

My wife and I want to move out West.

We currently live in the armpit of Ontario with it's two seasons. Being born in Northern England we would like to welcome back the four seasons seen in England and Western Canada...rain and all. I currently work in IT.

Need some advice as to where in BC to move to. Don't want to live in Vancouver itself. We have been told it's much more expensive to live in BC, although I think that would depend on exact location.

Please would the left coast people chime in with your views.

We would prefer to hear from the horses mouth (so as to speak).

Thank in advance.

Frank (sweating in Ontario) W.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:41 am

Come to Victoria, the weather's nice. We get half the rain Vancouver does and it's cheaper, though still expensive. My wife says there's lots of work here, people are still coming here and finding work. I'm in the military so I don't see this - I have to take her word for it.

Our winters are grey and dreary, I prefer the snow and the sunny winters of Saskatchewan. After four months of grey and rain, I'm ready to remove the teeth of anyone who says, "at least we don't have to shovel it."

And for planning purposes: Winter in Victoria falls on a wednesday this year.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:55 am

I used to have a friend in Victoria who recently moved. His email and address etc have changed and I cannot locate him. My wife would jump at the chance to live on Vancouver island. I need to find work out west before we move.

Thanks for the reply

Regards Frank (still sweating) W.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:44 am

lily lily:
Victoria is probably the most "British" city in all of Canada. It's beautiful. Of course, I'm partial to my own corner of the province - Tsawwassen - as we get even more hours of sunshine than Victoria (certainly more than elsewhere in the lower mainland).

It depends more on finding work, but there are several really nice areas here in BC. The Okanagan (stay away from Kelowna, apparently), and the northern areas all have their appeal.

Go to mls.ca and have fun.

Hi Lily,

Thanks for the real estate link.

House prices are pretty much the same as as here (Whitby Ontario).

How much snow arrives in winter at sea level on Vancouver Island?

Frank

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:51 am

snow? Did you say snow? I can tell you quite honestly that snow is something you generally do not have to worry about in coastal BC. It has not snowed (more than say 5 cm's) here in North Vancouver for close to 3-4 years. When it does snow.....you can count on it melting within 2-3 days tops.

We get a substantial amount of "liquid sunshine" in the winter and yes it's true...at least we don't have to shovel it! lol.

[flag]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:02 pm

We had some snow, a lot of it, in Dec 96. Not much since. Even what we had in 96 melted in two weeks. Most of what we get lasts less than a day, maybe two. If we have enough to make a snowman we take pictures. I'd attach a pic of one if I was at home.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:39 pm

Prince George and that area. All four seasons, beautiful country. No huge crowds, traffic and congestion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:06 am

The Island is nice if you can get a job there but if you're working in Vancouver I'd suggest North Delta maybe, a bit cheaper but not that far away. Stay away from Surrey :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:26 pm

SprCForr SprCForr:
Prince George and that area. All four seasons, beautiful country. No huge crowds, traffic and congestion.

Gets pretty cold in winter - I would rather the Thompson/Okanagan: Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Vernon, Penticton. Cheaper housing than the Coast or the Island, too.

Forget Kelowna - a bunch of latte'-slurping, Beemer-driving Yuppie dinks.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:06 pm

Isn't it getting too expensive in the Okanagan Valley pretty much anywhere? Besides, Hwy 97 is just ugly with traffic in summer. Thompson isn't that bad neither.

Cold? I'll trade with them anyday!

Non-Rev Non-Rev:

Forget Kelowna - a bunch of latte'-slurping, Beemer-driving Yuppie dinks.

I see you've met my sisters. :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:17 pm

ROTFL ROTFL

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:24 pm

TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
snow? Did you say snow? I can tell you quite honestly that snow is something you generally do not have to worry about in coastal BC. It has not snowed (more than say 5 cm's) here in North Vancouver for close to 3-4 years. When it does snow.....you can count on it melting within 2-3 days tops.

We get a substantial amount of "liquid sunshine" in the winter and yes it's true...at least we don't have to shovel it! lol.

[flag]

we had a cm of snow here in fanny bay 2 years ago. were right on the water though. was 320 degrees at one point in january, very wet though. lots of work up here. house prices are skyrocketing, so you'll want to move in before tha major development starts in 2007. prices will skyrocket compared to what they already have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:55 pm

Move to Kitimat, BC

There is great fishing and recreation.Many trails and secret waterfalls, fishing holes, and scenery.There are many uninhabited Islands along the Douglas channal which leads to the Pacific.These islands are fun to camp on and explore.There is one Island with natural hotsprings on it.I dont live ther but I have vacationed ther and have friends and family there. :D

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:56 pm

Kelowna is rude for price and traffic right now. Vernon is developing like mad so those price will continue to soar. There are outlying comunities that are more reasonable price wise. Vernon to Vancouver can be done in a carin six hours easy.
Prince George can be a little cold in the winter for sure. I can remember in the late 90's it hit -50 for a week. A week or two of real cold just makes you appreciate the other seasons.

I just rented a apartment for my daughter in N Van single bedroom for 700. Without owning a car and using public transit makes it reasonable. Auto insurance and air care in Van makes it nearly impossible for someone young to own and operate a vehicle.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:54 am

Richard Richard:
Kelowna is rude for price and traffic right now. Vernon is developing like mad so those price will continue to soar. There are outlying comunities that are more reasonable price wise. Vernon to Vancouver can be done in a carin six hours easy.
Prince George can be a little cold in the winter for sure. I can remember in the late 90's it hit -50 for a week. A week or two of real cold just makes you appreciate the other seasons.

I just rented a apartment for my daughter in N Van single bedroom for 700. Without owning a car and using public transit makes it reasonable. Auto insurance and air care in Van makes it nearly impossible for someone young to own and operate a vehicle.

Thanks for all the replies guy's

Whats 'air care'?

Would that be $700 per ?????

Regards Frank