Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Driving from Edmonton to Quesnel via the 16 to PG and the 97 south. Anticipate arriving in Quesnel on Sunday. From there I'm heading to Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal) with a loaded horse trailer. And then back to Alberta again a week later via the 5 and 16.

What is highway 16 and highway 97 like this time of year? Would it be most advisable to take highway 99 via Lytton, Pemberton, and Whistler; highway 1 via Cache Creek, Spence's Bridge, and Lilloet; or highway 5 via Cache Creek, Kamploops, and Merrit down to the coast?

The only highway I haven't driven this time of year is 99. That said, neither the Coquahalla nor the Fraser Canyon are roads I want to take with a horse trailer. Is the 99 okay to take this time of year, or will there be a significant amount of snow (over 8 inches will be a concern)?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Best advice is to check Drivesafe BC. It has info on all the highways and driving conditions.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:35 pm

I wouldn't advise taking the 99 from Lillooet to Pemberton this time of year, it's narrow, 2 lanes, high altitude and has very steep sections coming into Pemberton, I'd stay on 97 to Cache Creek then stay on the Trans Canada down the valley to Hope. Coming from Quesnel it's going to be quite the detour to hit 5 from Cache Creek, stay straight ahead and do the canyon...

edit: if you don't want to take the horse trailer on the Coquihalla or through the Fraser canyon you sure as Hell DO NOT want to take it on the Duffy Lake road in any season!!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 am

From where you/we are I would be inclined to do the Crowsnest Pass depending on road conditions

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:10 am

Yogi Yogi:
From where you/we are I would be inclined to do the Crowsnest Pass depending on road conditions

With horses ?

I did that once in winter.. never again. Started out nice, weather changes quick in the hills.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:17 am

You don't want to take the pass now. The Kootenay Pass is closed on and off and has been for the past 2 weeks orso. There is a significant risk of avalanches at the moment, the roads are slippery.

I was told today that people coming from AB, who tried to travel to Kelowna, were stuck in Golden. They took a detour down here to get there. Golden-Revelstoke was closed as well.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:47 am

Brenda Brenda:
You don't want to take the pass now. The Kootenay Pass is closed on and off and has been for the past 2 weeks orso. There is a significant risk of avalanches at the moment, the roads are slippery.

I was told today that people coming from AB, who tried to travel to Kelowna, were stuck in Golden. They took a detour down here to get there. Golden-Revelstoke was closed as well.

So, yur sayin that I proly wouldn't make it thru on my 'new' Harley, eh! :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:49 am

martin14 martin14:
Yogi Yogi:

With horses ?

I did that once in winter.. never again. Started out nice, weather changes quick in the hills.

Gonna try to take that trip this year with my Brothers since we got rained out last summer( High River Flood), and ended up heading north instead.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:02 am

How the Hell do the Crowsnest and Kootenay Passes even enter into this story, he's travelling from Edmonton to Quesnel via Prince George, picking up a horse trailer then driving to Vancouver. Why the Hell would he therefore want to travel to southern BC????

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:06 am

Hyack Hyack:
How the Hell do the Crowsnest and Kootenay Passes even enter into this story, he's travelling from Edmonton to Quesnel via Prince George, picking up a horse trailer then driving to Vancouver. Why the Hell would he therefore want to travel to southern BC????

Just cuz it's the more scenic route! :lol:

I thought he was leaving home with the horsies.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:13 am

Crowsnest is a nice ride Yogi.. in the summer.

In the winter, I wouldn't bother.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:01 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Driving from Edmonton to Quesnel via the 16 to PG and the 97 south. Anticipate arriving in Quesnel on Sunday. From there I'm heading to Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal) with a loaded horse trailer. And then back to Alberta again a week later via the 5 and 16.

What is highway 16 and highway 97 like this time of year? Would it be most advisable to take highway 99 via Lytton, Pemberton, and Whistler; highway 1 via Cache Creek, Spence's Bridge, and Lilloet; or highway 5 via Cache Creek, Kamploops, and Merrit down to the coast?

The only highway I haven't driven this time of year is 99. That said, neither the Coquahalla nor the Fraser Canyon are roads I want to take with a horse trailer. Is the 99 okay to take this time of year, or will there be a significant amount of snow (over 8 inches will be a concern)?

There is currently a local warning about the highway conditions east of Prince George. It just hit plus 5 and everything is getting messy here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:02 am

When I see you all considering hauling a trailer full of horses up some of those passes, I can smell burning transmission from way out here. I've been on all of those mentioned and about half of them in the dead of winter. You're a better man than I.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 am

I've been giving the truck a special prep for this trip.

Too be more specific; I am leaving from Wainwright to Edmonton, overnighting in Edmonton, leaving tomorrow morning for Quesnel. I will stay overnight in Quesnel, pick up the trailer, loading it with 4000lbs of hay, and head to the island via Vancouver.

Once on the island, I pick up the horses, and head all the way back in Wainwright. I was intending on overnighting in Kamloops, and taking the 5 and 16 the rest of the way back.

Yogi - I'm considering the Crowsnest for summer trips, but I wont do it with living cargo.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:03 am

Yogi Yogi:
So, yur sayin that I proly wouldn't make it thru on my 'new' Harley, eh! :lol:

Well, considering it is a Harley, you'd have to push it up the hill anyway, I'd say you're good as long as you wear studded boots :twisted: :twisted: