CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:32 am

The city of Prince George has decided to construct the largest wooden city in the world. I see 2 sides to this, which I shall layout in a Pro v Con ultimate smackdown

Boom!
Pros-
Encourages city expansion
Aids in clean air
Creates jobs in the city
Promotes the use of wood as a modern technology and not just a weak high-fibre alternative to steel

Shacrack!
Cons-
Yet to have a buyer to make the building come to life
City revitalization should be the first issue
Prince George has such a small workforce, that the building may be less filled than a cougars game.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/bcs-planned-wood-building--could-be-worlds-tallest-143939526.html?viewAllComments=y

The Winnepeg Press

VANCOUVER -- B.C. is moving ahead with plans to build what is expected to be the tallest wood building in North America and possibly the world.

The proposed 10-storey Wood Innovation and Design Centre in Prince George will become a test case for creating a value-added forest products industry around tall wood building construction methods that would differ radically from the way traditional mid-rise and even highrise buildings are constructed.

Jobs Minister Pat Bell said this week that within 30 days, the province will seek qualified firms to design and construct the building out of engineered wood beam products instead of traditional concrete and steel beams. The province has already received 34 expressions of interest.

The wood building would be the tallest in B.C., "likely North America and possibly the world," Bell said.

The plan comes at the same time a new study produced for the Wood Enterprise Coalition by Vancouver architect Michael Green and several others suggests engineered wood skyscrapers of up to 30 storeys can be safely built using this new wood technology.

In an interview, Green said he expects that within five years, buildings between 10 and 20 storeys will be built in B.C. using any one of a number of laminated engineered wood products. But for that to happen, the province needs to change its building code. The code now limits wood buildings to six storeys, but that is based on wood-frame construction methods using studs and wood cladding.

Green said he was motivated to propose tall wood buildings as a way to tackle climate change. Wood acts as a carbon sink, locking in carbon dioxide.

-- Postmedia News

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:45 am

I'm guessing Mr. PG isn't enough anymore...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:30 am

Prince George got wood.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:51 am

Interesting.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:59 am

Who's paying for it?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:05 pm

raydan raydan:
Prince George got wood.

must be compensating for something. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:10 pm

martin14 martin14:
raydan raydan:
Prince George got wood.

must be compensating for something. 8)

They're also erecting. 8O

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:33 pm

They're also erecting. 8O[/quote]

There is an article in the National Post 2012/03/25 "Wood High Rises" I wonder if the spruce beetles will like it or how it would stand up to a fire? :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:42 pm

10 storey's is a skyscraper?

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:00 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
10 storey's is a skyscraper?

I know what you mean 10 story's = 100 ft isn't much I am ok working at this height but at 30 story's (300ft) I am starting to freak out.
Especially if I can see people on the ground like when installing a head pulley in a bucket elevator boot.
I think nipping explosives under ground is a less nerve wracking job than working 300ft in the air with no floor under my feet. 8O