CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am

As a landlord is it possible in any way to get the tenant to have welfare wire the monthly cheque directly to you?

I have a tenant right now that isn't exactly trustworthy. I can trust him in my place but he has substance abuse issues and when he's in his right mind, he's a great guy. I'm sure that I could get him to go along with the above(if it is possible).

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:07 am

Regardless of what you do the government will side with the deadbeat you allowed to move into your property.

Good luck. You're going to need it when it comes time to evict the POS.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 am

If your tenant agrees to fill out the auto-deposit form with your name and transit info on it, it might be. Only one way to find out.
But if you're a landlord for even the whole $610 a month less monthly bank fees, you need a new career.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Regardless of what you do the government will side with the deadbeat you allowed to move into your property.

Exactly, I have a friend who was renting rooms to University students but got talked into taking a welfare case by one of his friends who said the guy was a good tenant. As it turned out this guy's friend was just trying to get rid of this clown from her place because he was a drug addict and a welfare case who didn't pay his rent and was threatening her.

Long story short. He lost all his University tenants and couldn't get rid of the guy. He went to welfare 3 times and they told him that the guy not paying was his problem and if he didn't stop harassing him they'd get the police involved. This poor welfare drug addict also started threatening him and his pet with bodily harm. So, he went to the police and got the same reaction as with welfare about this asshole harassing him but, with the old caveat that they couldn't do anything till he did something and the threats he'd recorded on his phone meant nothing.

I offered to help the welfare gentleman move from the premises but, my friend decided he'd go another route so, he ended up paying the guy a thousand bucks he couldn't afford just to get him out. Then even after that settlement the guy kept coming back and threatening my buddy while claiming he was looking for his mail.

So, if you're a landlord in BC renting to a welfare recipient, good luck getting your money out of them because as far as the Gov't's concerned they're your problem now not theirs and if my friends experience is any indicator they apparently don't want you bothering one of their "clients" no matter how badly they act or how dangerous they become when you try and exercise your rights.

But don't get me wrong. Not all people on welfare are like this so, your problem becomes separating the wheat from the chaff before you rent to one of them. But, good luck getting rid of this renter if he becomes an issue because I can almost guarantee he knows the system and will use it to his advantage and your detriment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Exactly, I have a friend who was renting rooms to University students but got talked into taking a welfare case by one of his friends who said the guy was a good tenant. As it turned out this guy's friend was just trying to get rid of this clown from her place because he was a drug addict and a welfare case who didn't pay his rent and was threatening her.

Long story short. He lost all his University tenants and couldn't get rid of the guy. He went to welfare 3 times and they told him that the guy not paying was his problem and if he didn't stop harassing him they'd get the police involved. This poor welfare drug addict also started threatening him and his pet with bodily harm. So, he went to the police and got the same reaction as with welfare about this asshole harassing him but, with the old caveat that they couldn't do anything till he did something and the threats he'd recorded on his phone meant nothing.

I offered to help the welfare gentleman move from the premises but, my friend decided he'd go another route so, he ended up paying the guy a thousand bucks he couldn't afford just to get him out. Then even after that settlement the guy kept coming back and threatening my buddy while claiming he was looking for his mail.

So, if you're a landlord in BC renting to a welfare recipient, good luck getting your money out of them because as far as the Gov't's concerned they're your problem now not theirs and if my friends experience is any indicator they apparently don't want you bothering one of their "clients" no matter how badly they act or how dangerous they become when you try and exercise your rights.

But don't get me wrong. Not all people on welfare are like this so, your problem becomes separating the wheat from the chaff before you rent to one of them. But, good luck getting rid of this renter if he becomes an issue because I can almost guarantee he knows the system and will use it to his advantage and your detriment.

I get your point but I'm only renting a room and the guy isn't even on the lease so getting him outta here should be pretty cut and dry, especially since the landlord of this place doesn't want him here.

I just need to find out if I can get welfare to forward his cheque to me. Like, has anyone in BC done this recently? If so I'm sure that I can get him to take that path(during the short time that he's not 'f*cked up'), then at least he can't screw me outta rent money.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Nope. Once you rent him a room you are more likely to have a court order YOU out of the house than you are to get a court to evict him.

Take it from me, a recently former landlord in BC: it's not worth it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Sounds like you're trying to help someone out more than being a landlord.
You might try to talk to his caseworker and see if something can be arranged re handling his money. But when they're messed up on drugs, you're taking a big risk and you can only hope you get rent money.
My advice is to tell him to get out, go thru rehab and come see you afterward. It's not on you to try to fix the guy, only he can. You're probably enabling more than helping.

You don't HAVE to rent to people you don't want. Even if a welfare caseworker comes and tells you you do, you can tell them to F off. They can't press it, they have no budget, the threats are all hot air. Been dare dundat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:10 pm

BTW if he's not on the lease, your landlord can kick YOU out. Think about that!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm

lazarus102 lazarus102:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I get your point but I'm only renting a room and the guy isn't even on the lease so getting him outta here should be pretty cut and dry, especially since the landlord of this place doesn't want him here.

I just need to find out if I can get welfare to forward his cheque to me. Like, has anyone in BC done this recently? If so I'm sure that I can get him to take that path(during the short time that he's not 'f*cked up'), then at least he can't screw me outta rent money.

Herbie's right. Before you can even discuss getting his money the first thing the case worker is going to ask for is a copy of the lease agreement so you're pooched before you start because you can't get that since you're not the landlord.

Friend or not, cut your losses and tell him to get out before you find yourself embroiled in a big mess like my friend and you end up being the one who's homeless.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:26 pm

herbie herbie:

He can but he won't. He's already found out and made it clear that he doesn't want to kick me out but he's really not a fan of the guy. The landlord could easily kick him out under the basis that he isn't on the lease. Also with that said, there's no legal proof that he lives here. It's as easy as, put his stuff in the hallway and deny everything.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 pm

lazarus102 lazarus102:
herbie herbie:

He can but he won't. He's already found out and made it clear that he doesn't want to kick me out but he's really not a fan of the guy. The landlord could easily kick him out under the basis that he isn't on the lease. Also with that said, there's no legal proof that he lives here. It's as easy as, put his stuff in the hallway and deny everything.

Now that's a real smart move. Piss off the guy who's "not" going to throw you out. :roll:

My guess is if you do that, your Landlord who will find out, will get pissed enough to kick both of you out. Your friend for not being on the lease and you for breaking it by illegally subletting his property.

But hey, given the shortage of rental accommodation in certain area's of BC it shouldn't be a problem for you guys to find another more accommodating place.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:17 am

lazarus102 lazarus102:
herbie herbie:

Now that's a real smart move. Piss off the guy who's "not" going to throw you out. :roll:

My guess is if you do that, your Landlord who will find out, will get pissed enough to kick both of you out. Your friend for not being on the lease and you for breaking it by illegally subletting his property.

But hey, given the shortage of rental accommodation in certain area's of BC it shouldn't be a problem for you guys to find another more accommodating place.

Pretty sure you misunderstand my entire situation... the landlord doesn't literally want the guy out right now, he just doesn't care for having him here (he doesn't like the guy). If I told the landlord that I want this guy out, it'd be done in a snap.