canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:08 pm

hwacker hwacker:
Boot them out. Lock the door, enough is enough.

The same could be said for you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:13 pm

xerxes xerxes:
hwacker hwacker:

The same could be said for you.
I think it has been said.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:24 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Hardy Hardy:
Just the same, I have far too easy of a life to feel the slightest bit persecuted or disadvantaged, so forgive me if I never carry the White Male Liberation banner.
Is that how legal rights work these days?

Well, yes, I have the right to be amused by everyone who has a sense of class entitlement, whatever their colour, gender, etc.

In this particular case, I have no choice but to smirk at East Asian businesspeople who figure that it's fine to discriminate against non-Asians because they want to make an ethnic shopping ghetto. I might cut them some slack if I felt that Canadians of East Asian descent are horribly oppressed, but I don't see any reason to think that. If you look at the demographics of East Asians in North America, they do just fine. The actions of a handful of bigots aside, it's also happily difficult to see any signs that Jews are facing any real problems, and things are getting a lot better for women.

I'd imagine that the shop owners will bring charges against the mall, and will have things rectified by the courts, which is exactly as it should be. Still, I have a hard time summoning a visceral feeling of personal victimisation. I just can't conjure up a "Boohoo, boohoo! I'm being oppressed!" frame of mind very well when the worst challenge I face in life is high taxes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:37 pm

Hardy Hardy:
Still, I have a hard time summoning a visceral feeling of personal victimisation. I just can't conjure up a "Boohoo, boohoo! I'm being oppressed!" frame of mind very well when the worst challenge I face in life is high taxes.
Well, it's not supposed to be personal for you... if you heard that a school teacher was beating children at a local school, you wouldn't say, "Meh, I don't really care - he hasn't tried to beat me or my kids lately," would you?

It's the shop owners that are the victims, not the shoppers.

Last edited by Blue_Nose on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:37 pm

My Nazi friend was going on about this and how "he was right" and that "the white people are becoming the minority". Oh lord. :roll:

Anyway.

I think this is wrong. Just as a white only shop would be.

I also agree that this is actually not reverse discrimination, but regular.

This shouldn't be allowed. We use political correctness to be polite. Don't fucking push that politeness. Things may get messy.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Hardy Hardy:
Still, I have a hard time summoning a visceral feeling of personal victimisation. I just can't conjure up a "Boohoo, boohoo! I'm being oppressed!" frame of mind very well when the worst challenge I face in life is high taxes.
Well, it's not supposed to be personal for you...

Apparently it is, since I am in the same class of persons as the shopkeepers -- as, to the best of my knowledge, has been every poster in this thread. We are all a bunch of white guys here, aren't we?
Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
if you heard that a school teacher was beating children at a local school, you wouldn't say, "Meh, I don't really care - he hasn't tried to beat me or my kids lately," would you?

If I were a schoolkid, I would be very personally outraged. Kids have few rights, everybody tells them what to do, nobody takes them seriously. The only thing good about being a kid is that you grow out of it. Other than that, it totally sucks.

Not being a kid, I would consider the teacher to be in need of the same treatment that is given any criminal who preys on the weak. But I wouldn't be turning that isolated example into a claim that kids needed far more extensive legal protections, either. With thousands of teachers out there, it's inevitable that a few of them will be screwed up, just like in any other line of work.

There was a screwed up commercial property manager. Make them fix what they did, fine them a pile of cash, and move on.
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
My Nazi friend was going on about this and how "he was right" and that "the white people are becoming the minority". Oh lord. :roll:

Right. Now that is a good example of the culture of victimisation. Hopefully your friend will manage to become a man some day, and will realise that his life is his own responsibility and what he makes of it, not something to be blamed on others.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:18 pm

Hardy Hardy:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

Right. Now that is a good example of the culture of victimisation. Hopefully your friend will manage to become a man some day, and will realise that his life is his own responsibility and what he makes of it, not something to be blamed on others.

Oh god, I hope so too.

I always seem to make friends with the weirdo's who never agree with me.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 am

Hardy Hardy:
as, to the best of my knowledge, has been every poster in this thread. We are all a bunch of white guys here, aren't we?

Almost got that right.

This whole thing is unfair business practice and hopefully it will go to court. They have no right to evict the "white" store owners who are willing to pay a significant increase in rent to stay. Just like it would be unfair for me to buy a plaza in Korea and kick out the Korean shop owners and sell to "white" businesses only. There is already such a high asian population here with many asian plazas, malls, restaurants, and so on. Just because we live in a multicultural society doesn't mean they can push around whomever they choose.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:27 am

Hardy Hardy:
Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Hardy Hardy:
Well, it's not supposed to be personal for you...

Apparently it is, since I am in the same class of persons as the shopkeepers -- as, to the best of my knowledge, has been every poster in this thread. We are all a bunch of white guys here, aren't we?
I'm having trouble understanding your point here. This is wrong independently of any of our races. Nobody is claiming that you or I is being disciminated against, so I don't know why you're trying to make this about yourself.

That you don't feel violated by the situation doesn't change the fact that these shop owners were treated unfairly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:53 am

Re-Tar-Ded.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:20 pm

$1:

I wouldn't say that but there should be exhisting laws against this. I agree this is not reverse discrimination such as employment quotas this is landloards expelling established buisenesses based exclusivly on race and it is unacceptable.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:31 am

B.C. strip mall owner rejects claims of racism
Updated Wed. Oct. 18 2006 11:44 PM ET

VANCOUVER -- The owners of a B.C. strip mall who are facing allegations of racism over their refusal to renew the leases of three longtime tenants say it's not personal, it's business.

Stanford Plaza Inc., owner of the slice of suburban life known as West Willow Shopping Centre in Surrey, B.C., denies it is methodically evicting non-Asian businesses to make way for a mall targeting the Asian community.

"This has been made into a discrimination issue when it was really just a business issue," Annette Blenkarn, a spokeswoman for Stanford Plaza said.

"Any new owner coming into the company would have done the exact same thing."

Rumours of a shakeup began when Stanford secured H-Mart, an American-based Korean grocery chain, as the anchor tenant for the plaza, which had been floundering since the last major retailer pulled out six months ago.

Then, the owners of an insurance brokerage, beauty salon and framing gallery were told their leases weren't being renewed.

Lynne Wallace's store, Frames-West Gallery had been in the mall for 24 years.

Wallace said when she was told her lease wasn't being renewed, she immediately offered to hire Korean staff and change the decor to appeal to the type of client she believed the mall was trying to attract.

She also offered the owners $100,000 to stay in her location through 2009, when she had hoped to retire.

When they ignored her offers, she began to believe it was about race.

"So it's not about money, it's not about me hiring a Korean girl, it's not about me making my store appealing to the Asian market," Wallace said, her voice breaking. "There can be no other reason for them to ask me to leave."

Blenkarn said her offers to hire Korean staff and change the decor were non-starters, as Wallace wasn't asked to leave because she isn't Asian. Wallace's financial offer wasn't market value for the space and the company felt it could do better.

As far as the other two tenants, Blenkarn said the salon was consistently behind on rent and the insurance brokerage had an exclusivity clause on the lease that didn't fit with the plaza's future plans to bring in a financial institution.

Blenkarn said the mall has been struggling for years and the company is focused on rebuilding.

All three evicted tenants have filed a complaint with the B.C. Human Rights Commission, though Wallace admitted it doesn't change the fact that she and the others have to move.

One retail analyst said he wouldn't accuse the company of racism, but of bad business sense.

There is a major lesson that can be learned by both Stanford and existing tenants, said David Gray of Sixth Line Solutions.

"How do we do a better job serving the Korean market so that they don't feel the need to shop in this one place," said Gray. "And how do we show these guys that they are making a huge business mistake aiming at a tiny niche when in fact they should be serving the market they are located in?"

There are a dozen other tenants in the plaza and several contacted said they haven't heard anything about a major change in focus for the mall.

"I feel bad for the businesses that aren't having their leases renewed," said Karam Kler, owner of Fast Fit and Firm Fitness. "But this has been a dead plaza for two years. We need the business coming in here."

H-Mart is expected to open later this year.

June Lee, the project manager for H-Mart, said the argument that the entire mall would cater to the Korean or even the larger Asian community makes no sense because there isn't enough of a population base to support it.

The plaza straddles the Langley-Surrey boundary, two cities southeast of Vancouver experiencing explosive growth.

Statistics Canada estimates there about 5,000 Koreans in Surrey and less than 1,000 in Langley. The largest Asian group in both cities is Chinese.

The number of people of Asian descent in those cities pales in comparison with Richmond, B.C., where several Asian-themed shopping centres have been built deliberately over the last 10 years.

About 60 per cent of Richmond's population are members of a visible minority, with the largest share being Chinese.

The first mall, Aberdeen, was initially conceived as being a place where East met West, said Gray.

"Vancouver could be a total retail model city for how communities can come together," he said. "We can all learn from each other, it's not that farfetched."

Link.

Newsbot posted the story, but we should try to keep the discussions in one thread.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:40 pm

$1:
Blenkarn said her offers to hire Korean staff and change the decor were non-starters, as Wallace wasn't asked to leave because she isn't Asian. Wallace's financial offer wasn't market value for the space and the company felt it could do better.

As far as the other two tenants, Blenkarn said the salon was consistently behind on rent and the insurance brokerage had an exclusivity clause on the lease that didn't fit with the plaza's future plans to bring in a financial institution.

I missed this it might be woth looking inot the business aspects.