bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:44 pm

This is a thread for people to post photos of the Bear Statues all around Vancouver, see if we can get them all.

In Europe was the first time I came across this city statue thing, tons of city's there had different ones. The cows in Prague were cool.

Vancouver had orca whales for awhile, but now there is Bear's everywhere. I kinda liked the orca's better, more original... but I guess BC has lots of Bears too.

The best one I've seen is the Darth Vader Bear outside HMV on Robison.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:48 pm

uhm trev here's the site

Spirit bears are through out the Province not just the lower mainland.

http://www.spiritbearsinthecity.com/

or

Spirit Bears

Know two of the artists involved in this awesome project.. I personally like Nazzy Bear out in front of GM Place

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Personal favourites:

Bear Mountain Golf Course Victoria

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:51 pm

Okay so those hockey bears aren't bad, but some of the bears I've seen around the city are absolutely fucking horrendous.

I have to say that when it comes to "city beautification projects" that the bears are ... well... tacky, compared to what could be done. Ladysmith is a small town, but they did an awesome job of beautifying itself over the last decade or so that Rob Hutchins has been Mayor... (Not sure if he still is or not). They focused on the town's Heritage, and History. Old anchors and old pieces of coal mining equipment that were otherwise wasting space in a warehouse, were brought out, the rust blasted off them, and then painted a nice glossy black color (for the most part) and then they were strategically placed around the city, and bolted down (not that they could've been moved even if they weren't). The result is that its pleasing on the eye, a part of the city's own history, and it looks good. Surely Vancouver must have some kind of history that they could do something similar with???

I heard a bus driver talking about the cost of each one of the bus shelters that are out there too, the nice stainless steel & glass ones that look 'modern.' I'm in the wrong fucking business, because those are a stupid amount of money apiece.

I'm not a fan of the bears.