bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 am

There are reports Al gore is selling his low rated cable network, Current TV to the Oil-based kingdom of Qatar so the sheiks can realize their dream of expanding their network Al Jazeera in the US.

It's also interesting Current rebuffed offers from Glenn Beck who was looking to expand his largely internet based network, Blaze TV.

American Conservatives - no. Oil Sheiks - yes. There's some priorities from the sinking poop deck of the good ship global warming for you.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/report- ... urrent-tv/

Does this mean Current TV employee, Joy Behar has to cover her face in a Burqa now? If so I'm for this.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 am

Big deal I'm sure all five viewers are outraged.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 pm

It's not the business Al-Jazeera wants. It's the license. Current TV is licensed to reach into 40 million homes.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Al-Jazeera, the Pan-Arab news channel that struggled to win space on American cable television, has acquired Current TV, boosting its reach in the U.S. nearly ninefold to about 40 million homes. With a focus on U.S. news, it plans to rebrand the left-leaning news network that cofounder Al Gore couldn't make relevant.

The former vice president confirmed the sale Wednesday, saying in a statement that Al-Jazeera shares Current TV's mission "to give voice to those who are not typically heard; to speak truth to power; to provide independent and diverse points of view; and to tell the stories that no one else is telling."

The acquisition lifts Al-Jazeera's reach beyond a few large U.S. metropolitan areas including New York and Washington, where about 4.7 million homes can now watch Al-Jazeera English.

Al-Jazeera, owned by the government of Qatar, plans to gradually transform Current into a network called Al-Jazeera America by adding five to 10 new U.S. bureaus beyond the five it has now and hiring more journalists. More than half of the content will be U.S. news and the network will have its headquarters in New York, spokesman Stan Collender said.

http://news.yahoo.com/al-jazeera-buys-c ... nance.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Ah. Good for Al-Jazeera.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 pm

xerxes wrote:
Ah. Good for Al-Jazeera.

They'll be good for awhile, until they're firmly entrenched, then you'll start to see what they're really all about.

Vaguely related...

http://1389blog.com/2012/12/28/matt-dam ... -emirates/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Hell, I'm more likely to watch Al Jazeera than I am Al Gore's Global Warming Channel.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:13 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
xerxes wrote:
Ah. Good for Al-Jazeera.

They'll be good for awhile, until they're firmly entrenched, then you'll start to see what they're really all about.

Vaguely related...

Very vaguely related.

But, you're right; time will tell how well they do. I had Al-Jazeera International for about a month as a free preview (conveniently when the Egyptian revolution was heating up) and it was a lot like the BBC in terms of style and delivery. I wouldn't mind if this new deal gets it bundled in the same cable package that gets me CNN, MSNBC, and FOX.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:25 pm

I imagine you'd have to pay extra. Can we even get Current here in Canada? I never bothered to look.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:27 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
I imagine you'd have to pay extra. Can we even get Current here in Canada? I never bothered to look.

You never missed anything.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:

I don't think so. At least, I don't get it with Shaw. But like Bartman said, you missed nothing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
N_Fiddledog wrote:

From what I hear pretty much everybody can say that.

I'll be missing Al Jazeera too. Anything they have worth saying can be put on a five minute clip, and I'll find it on YouTube.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:55 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
xerxes wrote:
Ah. Good for Al-Jazeera.

Vaguely related...

You'd be surprised how many Hollywood films have Abu Dhabi money in it, from movies like Furry Vengence, MIB3, Ghost Rider 2 to name a few. So to pick out one so called Anti American movie and spin a story around it...oh wait a minute !

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
N_Fiddledog wrote:

From what I hear pretty much everybody can say that.

I'll be missing Al Jazeera too. Anything they have worth saying can be put on a five minute clip, and I'll find it on YouTube.

They had reruns of "The First 48" or Dallas SWAT or something interesting like that. That's about it. I didn't even realize it was Current TV until I saw Jennifer Granholm start yapping about her show.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 pm

xerxes wrote:

But, you're right; time will tell how well they do. I had Al-Jazeera International for about a month as a free preview (conveniently when the Egyptian revolution was heating up) and it was a lot like the BBC in terms of style and delivery. I wouldn't mind if this new deal gets it bundled in the same cable package that gets me CNN, MSNBC, and FOX.

I'll state AJ does much better coverage of African issues than any other network.

But anything around Israel, or the ME in general, forget it.
So lopsided it's not even funny.

But CNN and even FOX aren't any better, mostly due to sheer ignorance,
so I go elsewhere for news from that area.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34 am

desertdude wrote:
N_Fiddledog wrote:
xerxes wrote:
Ah. Good for Al-Jazeera.

Vaguely related...

You'd be surprised how many Hollywood films have Abu Dhabi money in it, from movies like Furry Vengence, MIB3, Ghost Rider 2 to name a few. So to pick out one so called Anti American movie and spin a story around it...oh wait a minute !

I think you misunderstand. The new Matt Damon movie, Promised Land isn't an anti-American movie. It's an anti-fracking movie. Fracking as you should know is an innovative drilling process which if generously implemented would make the US easily the number 1 energy producer in the world. This would negatively affect Mid-east oil. At present the so green they're red guys are able to slow down fracking's acceptance. Promised Land encourages that. The movies major funder was the oil producers of the United Arab Emirates.

Al Jazeera is funded by the oil producing nation of Qattar. That's the vague connection between the two stories I was talking about.

Actually I think there's mid-east oil money in Fox News now for what that's worth.