bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:16 pm

BRAH wrote:
Apple isn't just for old rich people but it's losing what made it different, stand out, as you pointed out cool. When an Apple store consultant pulls out a Samsung smartphone that says everything. ITunes is also facing a serious challenge from streaming sites like Netflix where people can easily stream a movie rather than downloading it which means they won't need the more expensive larger storage capacity computer such as the IMac, MacBook Air, Pro.

Why spend $1,000 on a MacBook Air for your road laptop when you can spend $300,000 on a Samsung Chromebook. There's also folks who in good faith upgraded their IPhones and IPads to IOS7 which turned out to be a piece of shit designed to force them to upgrade to the latest hardware if you want to keep using Apple products that they have a lot of money invested with via ITunes etc.

Just took my 2011 Mac Book 13" with the cracked screen in for repair. $500. More than the computer's worth really. Ouch.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Zipperfish wrote:
Just took my 2011 Mac Book 13" with the cracked screen in for repair. $500. More than the computer's worth really. Ouch.

Ouch. I do repairs like that. Too bad you're not in Winnipeg. I charge $60 plus parts. I assume the display was cracked, not just the cover glass. Checking ebay, cover glass is available for about $32. But the display itself varies from $285 to $500. I could have saved you a little bit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:05 pm

bootlegga wrote:

Blackberry, hello? What about Nokia?

Apple was hardly the first smartphone maker in the world.

They weren't the first but they changed the game. They were the major player in the market that everyone, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, etc tried to copy with often disastrous results.

iTunes, Apps, seemless integration with your PC....nothing that Blackberry or Nokia had.

bootlegga wrote:

Highly doubtful that it will translate into a large increase in market share.

Will they sell a few more phones than they currently do?

Sure, but I doubt they will jump more than a percentage or two, but it won't be enough to close the gap with Android.

But why not? Isn't this what the people want? Isn't this why Samsung has taken a large chunk of the market due to the screen size? I wouldn't be surprised if they grow their market share by greater than 5% which is huge for a company that already makes more than it's competitors.

Apple has changed the game again with Apple Pay, another idea the other companies have had but could never implement it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:10 am

BRAH wrote:
The best IPhone Apple had was the 4S.

DrCaleb wrote:
Wow! The iPhone 6+ is nearly the size of my BB Z30!

Call me when they get some security. ;)

After my shitty experince with the Z10 and Q10 I'm on the fence about BlackBerry but with the upcoming release of the classic we'll see. You still can't deny BlackBerry owns the market in security hence why ceo's and celebrities choose to use BlackBerry because when their phones are full of naked selfies they replace the sd card. :lol:

I love my Z30 like a kitten. Playful, and full of energy. I still see Apple products as toys and content delivery machines. Their purpose is to sell other product. And the security is not only lacking, it's faulty by design.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/04/ca ... estigates/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:15 am

OnTheIce wrote:
iTunes, Apps, seemless integration with your PC....nothing that Blackberry or Nokia had.

Incorrect. Blackberry developed Sync services in partnership with Microsoft, service which is still present in Windows 7 & 8. In the old days, before USB, it was the only way to sync a media device like an MP3 player or Cellphone through a serial port.

And Apple still has nothing like the Blackberry Enterprise Server, that links corporate email securely to a mobile device.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:40 am

DrCaleb wrote:
OnTheIce wrote:

Incorrect. Blackberry developed Sync services in partnership with Microsoft, service which is still present in Windows 7 & 8. In the old days, before USB, it was the only way to sync a media device like an MP3 player or Cellphone through a serial port.

And Apple still has nothing like the Blackberry Enterprise Server, that links corporate email securely to a mobile device.

Apple made that integration mainstream, just as they did with the touch-screen phone.

Whether some like to admit it, Apple changed the game in a lot of categories when it comes to Smart Phones. They were originally laughed at when the iPhone came out (mostly from BB users) and now look at the position of Apple vs Blackberry.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:45 am

OnTheIce wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
OnTheIce wrote:

Apple made that integration mainstream, just as they did with the touch-screen phone.

Whether some like to admit it, Apple changed the game in a lot of categories when it comes to Smart Phones. They were originally laughed at when the iPhone came out (mostly from BB users) and now look at the position of Apple vs Blackberry.

Exactly. Apple is jumping the shark, while Blackberry is learning from it's mistakes and re-inventing itself like Apple did once Jobs came back as CEO.

An iWatch? Really? People stopped wearing watches because the time is right there on their phone!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:05 am

DrCaleb wrote:

An iWatch? Really? People stopped wearing watches because the time is right there on their phone!

And they'll start again because now, rather than being old fashioned, it will show they are hip to the latest trends and can afford the latest technology. At one time it was all about how small a phone was, now look - they're getting bigger and bigger again. Probably happen with these i-watches too, people start watching TV on them and bragging about what a great picture they're getting. Listen to music on crap mp3 files, watch TV on a 5" screen - how cool is that? Just slaves to fashion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:26 am

DrCaleb wrote:

Exactly. Apple is jumping the shark, while Blackberry is learning from it's mistakes and re-inventing itself like Apple did once Jobs came back as CEO.

Jumping the shark? Not even close.

The iPhone is better and more relevant than ever. It's more popular than ever. With the new larger screens and the payment system, it'll only get more popular into the Christmas season and into 2015.

The Apple Watch will be a huge seller.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 am

andyt wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

And they'll start again because now, rather than being old fashioned, it will show they are hip to the latest trends and can afford the latest technology. At one time it was all about how small a phone was, now look - they're getting bigger and bigger again. Probably happen with these i-watches too, people start watching TV on them and bragging about what a great picture they're getting. Listen to music on crap mp3 files, watch TV on a 5" screen - how cool is that? Just slaves to fashion.

A way back when, the first digital watches came out, and it was all the fashion to have one. I had one, with a calculator, stopwatch, and a full keyboard on it. On the band was a tiny stylus used to press the keys. I think I used all of the functions 3 or 4 times, and the calculator half a dozen.

That's the fate that befalls smart watches. A cool distraction. Fashionable. And like fashion, it'll fade.

OnTheIce wrote:
and the payment system, it'll only get more popular into the Christmas season and into 2015.

The Apple Watch will be a huge seller.

No doubt. But it is still a content delivery system first, and people are fickle. I have Near Field Communication in my Blackberry too. I can set it up to 'tap to pay' at cash registers. Might be a convenient thing to do. But since Android is pretty sketchy as far as app security, there is no way I'm going to set it up and let Joe Hacker have that information should I download one of the many Trojan apps on the Google Play store. Blackberry apps, I wouldn't have a problem with. But Android apps run on the BB too, and that would kill half the functionality not to install them.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:21 am

BlackBerry's biggest problem was not having the right leadership to steer it in the right direction.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:52 am

DrCaleb wrote:
No doubt. But it is still a content delivery system first, and people are fickle. I have Near Field Communication in my Blackberry too. I can set it up to 'tap to pay' at cash registers.

At very few cash registers.

NFC is great technology and while BB has had it in their phones for a while now, they never really got into implementing and promoting it as Apple has just done with their new phone.

It's great to have the technology but if you don't have the support of the major retailers and the customer awareness, it's useless.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:50 am

OnTheIce wrote:
bootlegga wrote:

Blackberry, hello? What about Nokia?

Apple was hardly the first smartphone maker in the world.

They weren't the first but they changed the game. They were the major player in the market that everyone, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, etc tried to copy with often disastrous results.

That's not what you said though is it?

You said Apple was virtually alone in the smartphone market, which is nowhere near accurate.

As DrC already noted, other phones worked just fine with PCs and other services.

Of course nobody else had integration with iTunes - that is a proprietary Apple product.

Adding 'apps' was Apple's biggest innovation in the smartphone market and a big part of their leap to the top of the heap, too bad they haven't done anything like that in years now.

OnTheIce wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
Highly doubtful that it will translate into a large increase in market share.

Will they sell a few more phones than they currently do?

Sure, but I doubt they will jump more than a percentage or two, but it won't be enough to close the gap with Android.

But why not? Isn't this what the people want? Isn't this why Samsung has taken a large chunk of the market due to the screen size? I wouldn't be surprised if they grow their market share by greater than 5% which is huge for a company that already makes more than it's competitors.

Apple has changed the game again with Apple Pay, another idea the other companies have had but could never implement it.

The reason Samsung has close to twice the market share that Apple does is choice - the same reason PCs dominate the computer market and Macs are essentially a niche market.

Samsung offers more than a dozen phones, in a variety of sizes and price points, while Apple now has what, six of seven (most of which are near the high end on price)?

That difference allows Samsung to find users in almost every country or market niche out there, while Apple limits itself to a smaller piece of the pie (affluent users in developed countries). Admittedly, it's a more profitable one right now, but then again so was the market Apple targeted when it first released the Mac. Then when PCs went mainstream, Apple was almost wiped out.

Going after the high end market is fine, but it's very hard to the global leader if you only target 15 or 20% of the population (if that much in Apple's case). Look at almost any industry and you'll see that is the case - Lexus or Cadillac isn't the world's biggest car company is, Toyota or GM is.

Samsung, meanwhile can sell its phones to literally billions of people in developing countries AND at the same time eat Apple's high-end market share with it's better phones. Apple has no way to respond, which is why it is unlikely Apple will ever be #1 globally again.

While I doubt Apple will fall as far as they did in the 90s, sales indicate that it has just about tapped its market segment and will either stagnate or slowly decline, unless they find another homerun like the iPod or original iPhone - let's be honest, the iPad was nowhere near the success of the other two.

I'm not a betting guy, but without Jobs, that seems less and less likely everyday.