bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:25 pm

$1:
In what is surely the most shocking piece of financial news to hit the wires this week, retro gaming icon Atari announced it was filing for bankruptcy. The surprise, to be sure, isn’t that the Pong-maker had hit the skids, but that the company was even still around. Even more startling is that the company is profitable, and there's still a demand out there for ‘80s-era games, apparently.

Before we get into the specifics, let’s look back to the last time Atari was spotted in public.

That would be sometime around 1982, when Atari was the fastest growing company in the U.S., and its 2600 faux-wood paneled console was selling in the millions. By then, a version of the firm had been around for 10 years, having got its start as progenitor of arcade video machines.

The founders’ great inspiration was not so much in anticipating the appeal of home-based arcade games - that much was obvious - but in coming up with Apple-like console that could easily connect to a TV and that was so simple to use that anyone could immediately play. (A lesson immediately lost on VCR designers during the same time period)

As anyone in their 40s and beyond knows, Atari’s breakthrough moment was Pong, an adaptation of a popular arcade game at the time that was basically two paddles and a ball. Pong’s success soon led to Centipede, Asteroids and Missile Command, and by 1983, Atari essentially owned the video game market, and was on the forefront of a consumer electronics boom that has yet to slow down.

And, well, so much for first-mover advantage. Atari was so far out in front, it lost track of the field. Even with the backing of Warner Bros, which bought the company soon after Pong’s arrival, Atari struggled to maintain momentum.

A bid to expand into personal computing, still a nascent technology at the time, was stymied when factions in the company refused to cooperate, resulting in products that wouldn’t work together. Atari computer users, for instance, were out of luck if they wanted to play Missile Command. Those sorts of snafus combined with the rise of competitors such Intellivision (which, for the record was shuttered in 1991), led to Warner selling the flailing business in 1985.

From there, the saga is too convoluted and dispiriting to recount. Management misfires combined with engineering glitches led to brawls and lawsuits, as the company ricocheted into irrelevance. At perhaps the lowest point, in 1998, Atari was unloaded to Hasbro for US$5 million, a fraction of what Warner had paid for it two decades earlier.

Normally, this would be the end of the road for a legend like this; at least from a commercial perspective. As these things normally go, the remaining rights, along with a collection of vintage arcade machines, would be bought as a quirky bauble by some self-made tech mogul, to be delivered up as a fun fact for the exec’s next profile in Fortune or Forbes.

That’s where the Atari story would end, if not Pong’s and Asteroid’s retro appeal as a fun game for smartphones. There’s money to be made there, which the company’s U.S.-based division would do, if it weren’t saddled under the debt of its Paris-headquartered parent firm. Filing for bankruptcy is the path the U.S. arm is pursuing to escape from those cash woes and start again.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/insig ... 30965.html

Who even know they still existed?!?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Atari was a victim of their own success. They mistakenly thought they could tell people what to buy and they were wrong. Apple went down that same road with their Lisa platform that no one liked.

You just can't rest on your laurels. You've always got to keep on your edge or else someone will drag their edge across your throat (euphemistically, of course).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Holy shit, I'm in the same boat as you boots. I figured they disappeared ages ago.

I'm not much for bankruptcy protection of any company.

So... let their ship sink.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Holy shit, I'm in the same boat as you boots. I figured they disappeared ages ago.

How very capitalist of you.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Some of Atari's new games weren't too bad, but not what you would call blockbusters. The only game I have is Rollercoaster Tycoon and it's one of those I have interest in for a few weeks then delete off the drive for another 6 months.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Some of Atari's new games weren't too bad, but not what you would call blockbusters. The only game I have is Rollercoaster Tycoon and it's one of those I have interest in for a few weeks then delete off the drive for another 6 months.

I totally forgot that Rollercoaster Tycoon had Atari as a publisher, and some of their recent publications (The Witcher 2, anyone?) are pretty good, but yeah, they were fading from existence.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Public_Domain Public_Domain:

How very capitalist of you.

Better capitalist than state capitalist...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:10 pm

The biggest problem with Atari is that you now get indie game publishers making solid games that blew anything they made in the last 10 years out of the water.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 am

The real Atari died in 1984. This "Atari" is just some random French firm running around with their name and logo.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:40 am

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:01 am

[Insert 25 Cents to continue]