Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:16 am

Hey there, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with ING Direct. I'm looking for a good savings account and they offer 3%. Which is good. Has anyone had a good or bad experience with them. Or how about PC Financial, you know the superstore bank. there interest is only 2.6% still not bad though.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:55 pm

I've been with ING Direct for the last 10 months already and I love it! Especially between September and Decmber where they had added an extra 3.5% interest to any money deposited, over the regular 3% of the regular savings account. I've got 4 accounts with them; one of which is my REER.

If you want, I'll "refer" you and by opening an account from my link, you'll get an immediate 13$ deposited in your account as a gift....As a matter of fact, I'll get 13$ too. So, anyone who's thinking about opening an account with ING Direct, leave me your email and I'll send you "referrals".

You can do everything online and it's easy to use. You simply transfer the money from your regular chequing account (or other) and, when you need it back, put it back in ...no fees!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:08 pm

sounds too good to be true...is there fine print? any strings?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:45 pm

what the heck does that have to do with ING at all?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:54 pm

oops! :oops: lol my bad. i haven't heard good things about superstore banks either.... i personally prefer credit unions. seems like ING has a lot more benefits than any other banking option, even superstore. i personally don't like having to do all my banking electronically, gives me the creeps.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Indelible Indelible:
oops! :oops: lol my bad. i haven't heard good things about superstore banks either.... i personally prefer credit unions. seems like ING has a lot more benefits than any other banking option, even superstore. i personally don't like having to do all my banking electronically, gives me the creeps.
Ya the good thing about the superstore bank is that they are affiliated with CIBC, so you can use there bank machines, and possibly thier branches, and there's no fee's.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:15 pm

I've wondered about ING as well. Isn't it a dutch company?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:25 am

canucker canucker:

Yes.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:33 am

canucker canucker:

So they must really know how to save a buck then. :P

Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:07 am

Is there a catch with ING?

do you have to have a minimum balance to get those interest rates?

what " hidden fees" are there?

I have to know "all the facts" before I would change banks.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:58 pm

went to the ING website....
http://www.ingdirect.ca/en/isav5/openaccount.html
$1:
• No fees or service charges
• No minimum balance

from the FAQ section:
$1:
How do you calculate the Interest on my account?
Interest is calculated daily on the closing balance of your Investment Savings Account and is paid into your account at the end of the month.

$1:
Is my account secure?
Absolutely. All of your transactions with ING DIRECT - whether online, over the phone or ABM - are completely secure. All of the information you provide to us is held in the strictest confidence, in compliance with privacy standards followed by all major Canadian financial institutions.
You are the only one who can access your account or verify a transaction using a unique Personal Identification Number (PIN) and password selected by you. When you withdraw money, it can only be transferred into the linked chequing account designated by you. With any telephone transaction, your selection will be repeated back to you. And talk about high security, ING DIRECT uses one of the most advanced encryption systems available for online transactions.

$1:
How can you offer to pay higher rates than the Big Five Canadian Banks?
Because you do everything with us online or by phone, we don't have to maintain expensive branches on every street corner. We pass on those savings to you in the form of higher interest on your savings and lower interest on loans and mortgages. And, instead of thousands of employees at all levels, we have a highly trained department of Direct Associates who are ready to help whenever you need them.

this is the url for the legal section:
http://www.ingdirect.ca/en/legalstuff.html

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:59 pm

seems to me that ING is clean as a whistle....if there are any strings then they aren't on the website.....

does anyone know if there has been investigative journalism done on ING?