CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 10666
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:28 am
 


andyt wrote:
peck420 wrote:

Your Acadia is not a CUV.



GM calles it a CUV. What makes it not a CUV?

Dodge Durango should meet your needs. It can tow 6200 lbs. The Grand Cherokee can tow 7500. Or get a body on frame SUV like a Yukon - they can tow more. Choices may be fewer but they're out there. You want to tow big loads you just have to pay at the pump, even if you're not towing at the time.


GM does refer to the Acadia as CUV I think for marketing purposes. It's a beast of a vehicle and tows over 5000lbs. I have one sitting right in front of me right now.

In many cases, crossovers are based on a car platform/chassis or a smaller chassis which the Acadia is not.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20878
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:30 am
 


My Odyseey has been going for ever. Great for sports dads and moms. I'd recommend it. It dents a little easy when you punch it though.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2566
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 am
 


Robair wrote:
Toyota 4Runner? Ford Expedition?


This class is what I am currently looking at. Not like I have much choice. But, I still don't see why the couldn't throw sliding doors on them, to make them at least have the access of a minivan...or give the 3rd row enough leg room to sit an adolescent.

Aside, minivans are called minivans because they were derived from full size passenger and commercial vans. Relatively speaking, they are mini compared to their originators.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2566
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am
 


OnTheIce wrote:
andyt wrote:
peck420 wrote:
GM does refer to the Acadia as CUV I think for marketing purposes. It's a beast of a vehicle and tows over 5000lbs. I have one sitting right in front of me right now.

In many cases, crossovers are based on a car platform/chassis or a smaller chassis which the Acadia is not.


The Acadia is currently riding on the Lambda Chassis (which, ironically, GM classifies as an SUV chassis, not a CUV), which is a direct derivative of the Epsilon chassis...which we all know and love as the Malibu.

So, in essence, the Acadia/Enclave/Traverse are all riding on scaled up car chassis'.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 10666
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am
 


andyt wrote:
Quote:
The original Acadia crossover brought new elements of style and refinement to the category. Now the redesigned 2013 Acadia advances the world of crossovers yet again. I
http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/gm ... a/overview

The Acadia is a unibody design - it's a cross over. What is it more capable of?


When the Acadia/Outlook and Traverse came on the market, they were marketed as a 'crossover SUV'. "Crossover" is a more trendy term.

These vehicles aren't built on a car platform like a true crossover. They're built on the Lambda platform designed specifically for these vehicles.

In some cases, vehicles like the Ford Explorer are classified as both a SUV and CUV depending on the source.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 am
 


OnTheIce wrote:
andyt wrote:
peck420 wrote:

Your Acadia is not a CUV.



GM calles it a CUV. What makes it not a CUV?

Dodge Durango should meet your needs. It can tow 6200 lbs. The Grand Cherokee can tow 7500. Or get a body on frame SUV like a Yukon - they can tow more. Choices may be fewer but they're out there. You want to tow big loads you just have to pay at the pump, even if you're not towing at the time.


GM does refer to the Acadia as CUV I think for marketing purposes. It's a beast of a vehicle and tows over 5000lbs. I have one sitting right in front of me right now.

In many cases, crossovers are based on a car platform/chassis or a smaller chassis which the Acadia is not.


CUV does not refer to size, but to being a unibody design, whereas a SUV is body on frame. The Honda Accord, Pilot, and Odyssy all share the same platform, just with varying wheelbase lengths. So the Odyssy, even tho it's big, can be called car based. Who knows, maybe that's true of the Acadia as well.

The other thing that makes an SUV an SUV is a heavier duty 4WD system. So the Grand Cherokee say, althoug unibody, is called an SUV. It has a proper transfer case and low range.

The other piece is that the CUVs, no matter how large, are frontwheel drive design with added rear whell drive. SUVs are the opposite, mostly have solid rear axels.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 34261
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:44 am
 


bootlegga wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
I've been in the market for something bigger of late and I don't see anything but a minivan in my future.


Ford stopped making the Windstar years ago. The Edge is a much better vehicle, but I still don't know why people stopped buying big cars. Shorter than Minivans, higher crash ratings, higher fuel economy - I guess I just don't see the upside of the minivan. I drove one for a job I had up north for a few years and didn't see the attraction, other than the huge windshield and side viewing area.


The biggest reason is space. The Dodge Grand Caravan can carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood around if you want to - or 7 passengers and a lot of cargo.

If you need to haul more than five people (especially for a vacation), then a minivan is your best bet. When my in-laws visit, I've got 6-8 people to transport (depending on how many come), and I think it's incredibly wasteful to drive two vehicles say from Edmonton to Banff. Most CUV/SUV with third row seating basically eliminate your cargo space if you use the third row.


That's about the only time I can see the Minivan having an advantage. Both my car and my truck haul 5 adults easily. My car will also fit 4 golf bags in the trunk, which is something I do far more often that hauling 7 people around. The fuel savings aren't insignificant on day-to-day usage.

My F-150 will haul 5 people, AND a pallete of 2X4s or 40 sheets of 4' X 8' plywood. Or pull a 19' holiday trailer, or a 6' with all the luggage 5 people could need for a month. And again, I haul things in the back or pull a trailer far more often than I need to carry 7 people.

It's pretty rare too that there is more than 1 person in my vehicles. Sometimes there are 2, and 2 dogs, so the folding rear seats of my F-150 make an excellent space for doggies to approve of the trip.

bootlegga wrote:
I test drove a Veracruz (Hyundai) a few weeks back and it has lots of space in the back for luggage, golf clubs, etc, IF you don't use the third row. Once the third row is unpacked and in use, there is basically just enough room for a backpack or two - certainly not a suitcase or a set of golf clubs. Same went for the Honda Pilot and other third row SUV/CUVs I test drove.

But with a minivan, I can haul around 7 people (8 if I get a bench seat in the second row) comfortably with room for several suitcases or a couple sets of golf clubs. Finally, there is no climbing over seats to get to the third row like there is in the SUV/CUV class of vehicles.

SUV/CUV look nicer and are more sporty, but for simple utility, the minivan beats them all IMHO.


I suppose it depends on your need then. I see far more day to day advantage for a car or a truck than I do a minivan. For the rare occassions I'd need to haul 7 people, I suppose I'd rather rent a van for the weekend and save on monthly costs.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2566
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
I suppose it depends on your need then. I see far more day to day advantage for a car or a truck than I do a minivan. For the rare occassions I'd need to haul 7 people, I suppose I'd rather rent a van for the weekend and save on monthly costs.


Realistically speaking, I think I am best served by doing similar.

Get a minivan for day to day use and rent/borrow an Expedition (or similar) whenever I take the family camping.

For me the towing is the option I can use on occasion, the passenger capabilities are required day to day.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13978
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
I've been in the market for something bigger of late and I don't see anything but a minivan in my future.


Ford stopped making the Windstar years ago.

It's no wonder what with the head gasket problem that model suffered from for years.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13978
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 am
 


peck420 wrote:
CUV = Completely Useless Vehicle.

Oh, you mean you want to put an adult in the back seat?

Oh, you want to tow something bigger then your BBQ?

Oh, you want something that looks neat, has some pep, and AWD...here is the new line up of CUV's!

When people are forced to buy for need, not image, mini vans will be back.

That was the brilliant thing about Chrylser's ad campaign for the minivan. They didn't build what people thought they wanted, they built the minivan and then basically told the public, 'You NEED this vehicle", and people bought 'em by the millions.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11179
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am
 


Swapped my F150 for a Ford Edge. Sold the boat so didn't need the towing capacity.

The Edge is a CUV. Myrtle beach trip with 4 people, golf clubs, luggage etc, no problem.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20918
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am
 


andyt wrote:
When will people be forced to buy for need not image - when will minivans be back?

A Pilot is a shortened Odyssy. People say the Odyssy drives nicer than the Pilot.

Boots - how do you transport 8 people and all their luggage on a long road trip even in a minivan? Doesn't sound very pleasant to me.


In a minivan, it's not super comfortable, but it's a heck of a lot more enjoyable than in a SUV with third row seating, let me tell you.

A couple years ago, we went to LA and then drove to Vegas and San Fran in a minivan with 7 people. The first van we had (Toyota Sienna) was cramped (some luggage went on people's laps), but okay as it was only for a day. The next leg of the trip we had a Grand Caravan and we drove to close to a 1000 miles without a complaint. All the luggage was stowed and everyone fairly comfortable.

I wouldn't do a cross-country trip with that many people in one vehicle, but for a jaunt to the mountains or a a few hours a day of travel, it's not bad at all.

And the Pilot is NOT a shortened Odyssey, it's a SUV or CUV.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20918
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
bootlegga wrote:

The biggest reason is space. The Dodge Grand Caravan can carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood around if you want to - or 7 passengers and a lot of cargo.

If you need to haul more than five people (especially for a vacation), then a minivan is your best bet. When my in-laws visit, I've got 6-8 people to transport (depending on how many come), and I think it's incredibly wasteful to drive two vehicles say from Edmonton to Banff. Most CUV/SUV with third row seating basically eliminate your cargo space if you use the third row.


That's about the only time I can see the Minivan having an advantage. Both my car and my truck haul 5 adults easily. My car will also fit 4 golf bags in the trunk, which is something I do far more often that hauling 7 people around. The fuel savings aren't insignificant on day-to-day usage.

My F-150 will haul 5 people, AND a pallete of 2X4s or 40 sheets of 4' X 8' plywood. Or pull a 19' holiday trailer, or a 6' with all the luggage 5 people could need for a month. And again, I haul things in the back or pull a trailer far more often than I need to carry 7 people.

It's pretty rare too that there is more than 1 person in my vehicles. Sometimes there are 2, and 2 dogs, so the folding rear seats of my F-150 make an excellent space for doggies to approve of the trip.


The problem is I don't have five adults in my family - I have two and two small children who ride in child safety seats. When I put both in, there is only 10 or 12 inches of space between the two in the backseat, converting my 5 passenger car into a 4 passenger vehicle. And if the mother-in-law comes for a visit to see her grandchildren, then you either have to leave someone at home or make two trips.

I can easily see going to something like a CUV when my kids are bigger, but when they are young, that extra passenger space really comes in handy.

DrCaleb wrote:
I suppose it depends on your need then. I see far more day to day advantage for a car or a truck than I do a minivan. For the rare occassions I'd need to haul 7 people, I suppose I'd rather rent a van for the weekend and save on monthly costs.


Yep, I agree, but for me it's the other way around - I rent a vehicle if I need to get something big home. That's the great thing about Lowe's and Home Despot - $19.95 gets you a cargo van for 90 minutes (I used to use Rona but they got rid of their vans a few years back).

I envision a minivan being awesome for camping trips too (we still tent so we don't need towing capability). My daughters love riding in a minivan and watching movies on the drive somewhere - and best of all, I never, ever hear, "Are we there yet?" :lol:


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64287
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 pm
 


andyt wrote:
A Pilot is a shortened Odyssy. People say the Odyssy drives nicer than the Pilot.


A longer wheelbase on a vehicle has the effect of mitigating rough road surfaces and thus it creates a better ride.

Go for a ride in a Fiat 500 to see what I mean. Be sure to wear a kidney belt if you're going to be on a rough road or you stand a good chance of seeing blood in your urine.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 pm
 


bootlegga wrote:

And the Pilot is NOT a shortened Odyssey, it's a SUV or CUV.


The Pilot shares underpinnings and the powertrain with the Acura MDX luxury SUV, and their platforms are shared with the Odyssey minivan and the Honda Accord sedan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Pilot


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



cron
 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.