bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:40 am

Quote:
(Reuters) - Costco Wholesale Corp said it will stop accepting American Express Co cards in Canada from next year as it will not be renewing its credit card relationship, which expires on Dec. 31.

"Costco warehouses and gas stations in the United States will continue to accept American Express Cards after Jan. 1, 2015, with the exception of TrueEarnings and American Express Platinum Cash Rebate cards issued in Canada," Costco said in an email to customers.

Costco said it will provide information about new payment and membership card options soon.

Representatives at American Express were not immediately available for comment outside regular U.S. business hours.

Costco operates 88 stores in Canada, according to the company website. The company offers everyday items such as bananas below supermarket prices hoping customers will buy other goods as well and usually prices gasoline lower than competing stations.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/costc ... ector.html

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:45 am

Many companies don't accept AMEX because of their exceptionally high fee. That's why small businesses rarely accept them. Nearly twice what Visa is for some.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:31 am

AMEX charges EVERYONE up the wazoo for using AMEX. Aside from my government card (when I had one) I've never had an AMEX card and see no constructive reason why I would have one.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 am

I have a Costco AMEX for the cash back. It's nice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:26 pm

DanSC wrote:

Yep, I've received about $300 annually in dividends from it.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:43 pm

bootlegga wrote:
DanSC wrote:

Yep, I've received about $300 annually in dividends from it.

Exactly- 2 % from each adds up and no charge for the card. Just received a letter from Amex today- new cards coming with 1.5 cash back and up to 5 % on gas - max 250 in cash back for the 1st 6 months.
Picked up the RBC Westjet - 99$ fee but- 250 WJ dollars included, 1.5 cash back in Wj dollars, a companion flight 99 plus taxes and crap once per year.
We are flying to the NB then drive to PEI next year, cannot lose is how I look at it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Regina wrote:
Many companies don't accept AMEX because of their exceptionally high fee. That's why small businesses rarely accept them. Nearly twice what Visa is for some.

Yep.

Already bad enough that people want to by scartch & wins with MasterCards...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Dunno if it's still like this but Amex not only gouged, they were SLOWWWWW to pay.
Visa and MC got purchases got deposited to our account the minute we did the machine settlement at the end of the day. Amex took like a week...
people would ask why we didn't take it and I'd just say it's American Express. This is Canada and stare at them like they were some kind of goddam traitor... :D