bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am

Public_Domain wrote:
Lucky... daily resetting of the internet has been an ordeal we've dealt with since at least 2003, across several telecoms and several routers... The only constant has been a D-Link in some incarnation.

Looking at the D-Link website, I notice they don't even carry models that look like the one we have anymore. Maybe it's time to upgrade, but fuck $110!

I was having to do daily resets with my Linksys WRT54G after two years of service. Bought a 'el cheapo TP-LINK router that calved after six months.

Is your router compatible with DD-WRT? I've put "pooched" routers back in service with that Linux-based firmware.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:25 am

I... I have no fucking idea...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:29 am

http://www.dd-wrt.ca/site/support/router-database

Check it out. Some D-Link routers are supported. I used it on a DIR-315 that was acting up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 pm

commanderkai wrote:
saturn_656 wrote:

A distinction has to be made between SimCity and say a graphics card for your PC for example.

There will always be a small number of faulty video cards come off the production line, its expected, and the companies have a process in place to replace those cards which make their way to consumers.

SimCity was straight up broken across the board. This wasn't a defect in a handful of disks, but serious problems with EA's servers and the program itself.

It's as if they never Alpha or Beta tested the program. Pure 100% laziness.

EA is a terrible software publisher.

Another Simcity fan crying at the destruction of a great franchise, I see?

Yeah, it was quite possibly the worst game purchase I ever made. I haven't touched it in a month, and it sucks. There's so much potential in the game, all ruined by EA's incompetence. Sword of the Stars II was another horrible release, but at least I got that on sale, and it was just a buggy mess, not the complete clusterfuck Simcity was.

MoH Warfighter is another one EA managed to fuck up. Not only another game that requires a persistent internet connection, but a departure from where I thought they were going with MoH. With Airborne, they gave the game a more open ended feel. Warfighter? Right back to funneling you through the way THEY want you to go. And it's buggy as hell. Worst MoH in the series. Maybe the multi-player version is better?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Public_Domain wrote:
For general internet anonymity, I suggest Tor. Never BitTorrent with it though. Eventually I'll chalk up enough money to get a VPN worth the hassle.

The Scientific Dialectic demands you find $39.95 and buy a year's subscription to privateinternetaccess .

You can also watch US only streams when you set your location to some place in the US.

Tor is just a massive honey pot by the NSA. Who do you think operates most of the nodes?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:25 pm

I was on a Boston University one the other day, run by their computer club

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Who gives a shit if your $39 router blows after a year. Buy another one. The expensive ones are for transferring files between local devices faster. Not worth a penny more for internet.
And look at where & how it's plugged to power. That's why you're resetting all the time.
Don't plug it in a power bar. Don't plug it into the same circuit as the washing machine, toaster, tv, or anything high powered.
Don't plug it in a BC Hydro plug anywhere Beyond Hope.

And seriously don't play games wireless. Plug in the network cord.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Is a computer too high powered to be on the same circuit?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Stumbled through DD-WRT like a drunken elephant. Few problems for several hours but I finally figured it out!

Thanks Saturn!