All of the above investments.  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 28

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:35 pm

lily wrote:
grainfedprairieboy wrote:
I should also point out that going into business is also an excellent investment vehicle if done properly but if you are even remotely left wing when you start you won't be when you finish.

My dad was always self-employed, and he's as liberal now as he was 50 years ago.

There is a difference between being self employed and an owner of a business.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:48 pm

We mostly live paycheque to paycheque right now, but a big part of that is our mortage, which is a serious investment on its own. When we can afford a bigger place, we'll probably rent out the condo rather than sell it (if we can charge a rent that will cover the motgage, or a sufficient portion of it).

Other than that, mutual funds are about as risky as we'd go, and I'd like to get into RRSPs, but my wife doesn't understand that it's better to pay the tax later and is wary....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:10 pm

lily wrote:
He owned a logging company - he had a crew of up to 20 guys at a time.

But maybe a logging company isn't a business?

Then he only told you he was a liberal so he wouldn't have to argue with you 8)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Let's see - real estate, the requisite 401(k), a pretty decent stock portfolio, silver & gold bullion as a hedge, and an account with the Bank of the Republic of the Marshall Islands which is legally tax-deferred. Retirement will be relatively comforatable when the time comes - I won't be rich but my retirement income is slated to be about 60% more than my gross income is right now.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Quote:
I should also point out that going into business is also an excellent investment vehicle if done properly but if you are even remotely left wing when you start you won't be when you finish.

I thought you let the Muslim fellow stay on with you? ;)

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Clogeroo wrote:
Quote:

I thought you let the Muslim fellow stay on with you? ;)

:)

Update: He turned out to be a bag of shit and we let him go. It's not that he was lazy or anything he just couldn't get a grip on the equipment and was becoming a real safety issue.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:21 am

I am doing 2 things, right now. Heavy Equipment operater training, thats just about finished. Thats from 800 am til 6-8 pm. Then half an hour break, then off to do deliverys til 1-2 in the morning. 15 hour days, (sigh). It supplements my disability income. Im kinda sidelined for a lil while. Im paying 100 dollars a week for my car, which I really need. Thats almost paid off. Then I want to start looking for some layaways of money. RRSP's, Gic's, etc. On my good days before the disability I used to do 3 jobs a day, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:23 am

Biblical_Christian wrote:
I am doing 2 things, right now. Heavy Equipment operater training, thats just about finished. Thats from 800 am til 6-8 pm. Then half an hour break, then off to do deliverys til 1-2 in the morning. 15 hour days, (sigh). It supplements my disability income. Im kinda sidelined for a lil while. Im paying 100 dollars a week for my car, which I really need. Thats almost paid off. Then I want to start looking for some layaways of money. RRSP's, Gic's, etc.

You in toronto? A few guys I work with are taking a heavy equipment operator course there in anticipation of the new gold mine opening up.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:28 am

Hmmm, in Ontario? Also the Mckenzie pipeline should be up and going pretty soon probably. Today i woke up with a swollen elbow. It's not really that bad, Im going to have it checked out today. I don't think I will go to Fort Mac, unless I stay in a camp. You know 1 week out - 2 weeks in.I was driving a dozer the other day. Im done with the Backhoe, with flying colors. The Next is the excavater after the dozer.

Last edited by Biblical_Christian on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:29 am

No Im in Mid Canada. Toontown.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:32 am

Hmmm, in Ontario? Also the Mckenzie pipeline should be up and going pretty soon probably. Today i woke up with a swollen elbow. It's not really that bad, Im going to have it checked out today. I don't think I will go to Fort Mac, thou.I was driving a dozer the other day. Im done with the Backhoe, with flying colors. The Next is the excavater after the dozer.
Excavator is a back-hoe,and you dont drive a dozer....it doesnt have a steering wheel. :o You RUN a dozer,now dont make that noob mistake again. :wink:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:34 am

Ezcavater is a track-hoe. Not a back-hoe, lol. Back-hoe has 2 buckets remember? Drive? a dozer? what do I say, run a dozer? Oh right.

Last edited by Biblical_Christian on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:34 am

Unless your an american. They call vans, trucks. They call lotta things different from Cane-ada.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:40 am

Ezcavater is a track-hoe. Not a back-hoe, lol. Back-hoe has 2 buckets remember? Drive? a dozer? what do I say, run a dozer?

backhoe/trackhoe,tomato tomatoe.... :lol: Generally anything without a steering wheel is run,not driven. Hoes here are hoes,mention rubber tire hoe and thats what has 2 buckets.

Now get your level 1 first aid ticket,cpr certification,whmis and so on and I'll see if I can throw you a number for work that should happen in a few months.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:47 am

ziggy wrote:
Ezcavater is a track-hoe. Not a back-hoe, lol. Back-hoe has 2 buckets remember? Drive? a dozer? what do I say, run a dozer?

backhoe/trackhoe,tomato tomatoe.... :lol: Generally anything without a steering wheel is run,not driven. Hoes here are hoes,mention rubber tire hoe and thats what has 2 buckets.

Now get your level 1 first aid ticket,cpr certification,whmis and so on and I'll see if I can throw you a number for work that should happen in a few months.
Excavater is a t-x, t-rex, right? My mistake. Yes, your right. The back-hoe is a a machine thats mostly called something with a hoe on it. When I meant excavater, I was speaking of a track-hoe. I got all this actually just a few minites ago. that guy I m buying the car from, He was a heavy eqiupment operater for many , many years, so he gave me the real stats. He, he, he.