Total votes : 28

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:03 am

Just a little thread to see how CKA'ers invest their money and possibly generate some discussion about what are the best investments for the future and any investment strategies that have/have not worked.

Personally I have only been investing for a short time ~4 years. My company matches my own RRSP contribution so that was a big incentive to start. It all goes into manulife mutual funds which have done well as over the 4 years I've averaged a 14.7% return (as of today).

I also invest in stocks but I have only been doing that for a couple of months. That hasn't been going as well as I had hoped.

1/2 of my portfolio is in dividend paying stocks purchased with long term growth in mind and the other 1/2 investing in cheaper stocks to turn a quick profit by so-called day trading. That hasn't been very good since 1 particular stock I had been following for awhile (always going up) was doing well and once they announced their mineral analysis showed an even higher amount of minerals then estimated I assumed the stock would skyrocket and quickly bought 800 shares. Needless to say I am very chagrined and annoyed (not to mentioned mystified) that the stock has fallen quite a bit.

Live & learn I guess.

So anyone else wanting to share their investment strategies please feel free to be as specific or vague as you like.

Last edited by DerbyX on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:09 am

DerbyX wrote:
Just a little thread to see how CKA'ers invest their money and possibly generate some discussion about what are the best investments for the future and any investment strategies that have/have not worked.

Personally I have only been investing for a short time ~4 years. My company matches my own RRSP contribution so that was a big incentive to start. It all goes into manulife mutual funds which have done well as over the 4 years I've averaged a 14.7% return (as of today).

I also invest in stocks but I have omnly been doing that for a couple of months. That hasn't been going as well as I had hoped.

1/2 of my portfolio is in dividend paying stocks purchased with long term growth in mind and the other 1/2 investing in cheaper stocks to turn a quick profit by so-called day trading. That hasn't been very good since 1 particular stock I had been following for awhile (always going up) was doing well and once they announced their mineral analysis showed an even higher amount of minerals then estimated I assumed the stock would skyrocket and quickly bought 800 shares. Needless to say I am very chagrined and annoyed (not to mentioned mystified) that the stock has fallen quite a bit.

Live & learn I guess.

So anyone else wanting to share their investment strategies please feel free to be as specific or vague as you like.
Buy gold,preferrably Agnico eagle shares.

Thanks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:11 am

Its getting better but I'm still technically living paycheque to paycheque but I do invest 25 dollars every two weeks to my RRSP and I'm really suprised at how fast it adds up.

then as i get older i can invest more monthly then i am now and I should be set by the time I'm ready to retire.
the trick is to start small when you are young and you dont even notice it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:12 am

newfette wrote:
Its getting better but I'm still technically living paycheque to paycheque but I do invest 25 dollars every two weeks to my RRSP and I'm really suprised at how fast it adds up.

then as i get older i can invest more monthly then i am now and I should be set by the time I'm ready to retire.
the trick is to start small when you are young and you dont even notice it.
Yup,then when the divorce rolls around you can use it to settle without paying tax on it. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:13 am

what divorce????

who said i have any plans on getting married??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 am

newfette wrote:
what divorce????

who said i have any plans on getting married??

Famous last words. :roll:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:20 am

I'm selling my house and putting it all in Nortel!!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:21 am

i'm 26.. and single.. simmer

not that many guys are interested in a 26 year old workaholic anyways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:23 am

bloodyirish wrote:

No,buy gold. :o GOLD!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:36 am

Real Estate, AKA flip that house.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:37 am

In order to properly invest the person must have clear objectives and goals. For example. If you are 30 and want to retire at 35 or wish your investments to start returning a dividend then you must lean heavily towards passive income. If you plan to not retire for 35 more years then RRSPs are a solid but slow growth choice. Stocks are riskier but should be evenly spread through about 10 key indexes with a smattering of about 20 companies per index to leverage you loses. For dummies you can levarage against the S & P index and you are guaranteed to do well over any 10 year period.

Stay away from bonds and GICs unless you are parking cash for the short term. Precious metals and stones require a great deal of expertise and avoid the stock tips and instead do your own due diligence.

Finally, Real Estate affords the greatest potential for wealth generation for the average Canadian.

Remember: Wealth comes when your assets exceed your liabilities. Learn to fully understand this phrase as it is the key to financial success.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:38 am

ziggy wrote:
bloodyirish wrote:

Precious Metals mf's have at least doubled in the last year!!

Risky but Rewarding..at least for last year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:40 am

bloodyirish wrote:
ziggy wrote:
bloodyirish wrote:

Precious Metals mf's have at least doubled in the last year!!

Risky but Rewarding..at least for last year.

Going to be good for gold.

Quote:
Four gold deposits have been discovered along the Meadowbank gold trend, a 25 kilometre long trend encompassing 35,000 hectares of land. The known gold resources are situated within 225 metres of surface, making the project amenable to open pit mining methods. A zone of high grade, near surface gold mineralization, the Cannu zone, was discovered and evaluated during the 2005 drill program

The Portage gold deposits are defined over 1.85 km strike length and cross lateral extents ranging from 100m to 230m. The geometry consists of a NNW striking recumbent fold with limbs that extend to the west. The mineralization in the lower limb of the fold is typically 6m to 8m in true thickness reaching up to 20m in the hinge area.

The Goose Island deposit is similar in its geometry and setting to the Portage deposit, with a NNW trend and a steep westerly dip. The deposit is currently defined over a 750m strike length and down to 500m at depth (mainly in the southern end); with true thickness of 10m to 12m.

The Vault deposit is a planar and shallow dipping with a defined strike of 1,100m. The deposit has been disturbed by two sets of normal faults striking east-west and north-south and dipping moderately to the southeast and steeply to the east respectively. The main lens has an average true thickness of 8m to 12m. The hanging wall lenses are 3m to 5m.

Reserves Chart Information:

Gold Reserves

Project
Tonnes
Grade (g/t)
100 % Contained Ounces
Cumberland Contained Ounces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meadowbank (100% interest)

Proven and Probable [1]

Going to be Canada's biggest open pit gold mine.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:44 am

I should also point out that going into business is also an excellent investment vehicle if done properly but if you are even remotely left wing when you start you won't be when you finish.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:47 am

grainfedprairieboy wrote:
I should also point out that going into business is also an excellent investment vehicle if done properly but if you are even remotely left wing when you start you won't be when you finish.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

I'm in business many years know and I know exactly what you mean! ROTFL