canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:51 am

Can anyone point me in the direction of an idiot prrof guide to getting started with stocks?

My bank is spinning me in circles. I don't want to invest much, I just want dabble a little bit to see how it works.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:15 am

Have you talked to your local SISIP guy/lady :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 am

Buy stocks in your bank. They always pay dividends and their value always increases.

I'd also recommend dropping the stocks idea if you have limited funds and go with a Self-Directed RSP with someone like TD Waterhouse. You can set up an account and do everything online.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 am

bossdog wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of an idiot prrof guide to getting started with stocks?

My bank is spinning me in circles. I don't want to invest much, I just want dabble a little bit to see how it works.

Here, call Franklin Templeton Canada and ask them for some free info - and then if you aren't up on stocks I'd recommend starting with buying funds to establish your portfolio and then after you get going you can start investing dispensible income into stocks.

http://www.franklintempleton.ca/ca/reta ... t_home.jsp

Toll Free, English: 1-800-387-0830 8am-8pm, (ET)
Greater Toronto Area: 416/364-4672

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:09 am

bossdog wrote:

There is no "idiot-proof" guide to getting started in stocks. The market is full of idiots.

Perhaps the best book for beginners, though, is One Up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch. Another is Contrarian Investment Strategies The Next Generation by David Dremen.

Here is a list of books I recommend. They range from books for amateurs to books for professionals.

http://runningofthebulls.typepad.com/to ... k_log.html

The greatest book of all time IMO is Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, but that may be a step or two above starting level.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:43 am

You might want to invest with just one knowledge: Diversity. Don't invest all your money in the same hole. Fragment your investments in multiple areas to play safe. Be patient and knowing when to pull it out.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:00 am

:? Thanks guys...I think I'll wait until I get my feet back on the ground in Canada so I can talk to somebody face to face.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:45 pm

read "fleecing the lamb" then start up and e-trade account. that's what I did

I'm addicted to the TSX-V and junior speculative stocks, just don't invest your life savings and remember that it's a game that can kick your ass twice as fast as it can make you rich