Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 am

Is Apple the next BlackBerry or Motorola? Analyst draws parallels

Quote:
Peter Misek at Jefferies has turned mega super bearish on Apple.

Seriously.

In a note this morning he cuts his price target to US$420, down from US$500, and suggests it’s all over for Apple.

As recently as August Misek had a US$900 price target on Apple.

What’s changed? He thinks the iPhone is over. He thinks Samsung is eating Apple’s lunch.

He even warns that Apple might miss its own guidance this quarter as sales slow in the second half of March due to the release of the Galaxy S4.

He says Apple might release a bigger smartphone in the first quarter of 2014 to stop people from defecting to Samsung, but at that point it will probably be too late.

He says, “historically when handset makers fall out of favor (e.g., the RAZR, BlackBerry, HTC) they fall faster/further than expected.”
Advertisement

Did you see what he just did?

He compared the iPhone to Motorola, BlackBerry, and HTC, three smartphone companies that were dominant and then crashed hard and haven’t recovered.

The suggestion here is that Apple is seriously hosed.

In August, a comparison like this would be crazy. Even today, it’s nuts.

Apple had the best selling smartphone in the world last quarter. But that was the launch quarter for the iPhone. It’s possible Apple peaked last quarter and it’s all downhill from here.

Misek warns that his current estimates project “moderate growth” but if the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 “fail to re-stimulate” the developed market, he’s going to cut his targets.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... =315b-c236

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:01 am

The one difference though is that Apple isn't just about smartphones. iPads, iPods, iTunes etc have broadened the scope of the brand whereas the others were almost exclusively phones. That being said, Apple is falling behind after so many innovations. Minor tweaking of their products in the face of say Google Glass won't keep the faithful forever.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:00 am

iStuff is nice but are overpriced toys. They lack flexibility and adaptability. In the past they offered good cameras and displays but that is standard with all other competitors now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 am

Regina wrote:
iStuff is nice but are overpriced toys. They lack flexibility and adaptability. In the past they offered good cameras and displays but that is standard with all other competitors now.

Well, the toys are generally better quality than the competitor's toys with far far more apps. Comparing my old Blackberry to my iPhone was....no comparison.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:12 am

Gunnair wrote:
Regina wrote:

Well, the toys are generally better quality than the competitor's toys with far far more apps. Comparing my old Blackberry to my iPhone was....no comparison.

I beg to differ.

iCrap is overpriced commodity stuff designed to sell you things you don't need. Apple used to provide schematics with their hardware so you could make chip level repairs, if you were so inclined. Now they try to hide as much of the hardware and software (API's) to give themselves the monopoly on eyeballs their stuff has.

I can't say how many times I've looked over the shoulder of someone using their iPhone in an elevator or line at Tims' and seen their display shattered. I've had a Blackberry for ... since before they had phones, and I've only ever had a problem with one which was promptly fixed free of charge by RIM.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 am

DrCaleb wrote:
Gunnair wrote:
Regina wrote:

I beg to differ.

iCrap is overpriced commodity stuff designed to sell you things you don't need. Apple used to provide schematics with their hardware so you could make chip level repairs, if you were so inclined. Now they try to hide as much of the hardware and software (API's) to give themselves the monopoly on eyeballs their stuff has.

I can't say how many times I've looked over the shoulder of someone using their iPhone in an elevator or line at Tims' and seen their display shattered. I've had a Blackberry for ... since before they had phones, and I've only ever had a problem with one which was promptly fixed free of charge by RIM.

Well, I've had both. Blackberry doesn't compare for me. I've had a personal one and a business one and neither held a candle to my iPhone.

And from what I've seen from other people's tablets, they don't hold a candle to my iPad either.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 am

Although I have a handful, I don't really have much use for the plethora of daily Apps so that's lost on me. Also there are Apps that are free for BlackBerry but iPhone users have to pay for it, like "WhatsApp".
Apple does great obsolete engineering which means in order to keep up you need to upgrade to the latest and god forbid you need more memory space. Not to mention the new cord or adaptors you need to charge all of them or if you want to pop in a new battery. I like the fact that if it plugs into the slot it will charge it. Then there's iTunes which produces crappy sound quality and won' let me cut and paste my own music files from one storage unit to the other. Drives me crazy!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 am

Gunnair wrote:
Well, I've had both. Blackberry doesn't compare for me. I've had a personal one and a business one and neither held a candle to my iPhone.

And from what I've seen from other people's tablets, they don't hold a candle to my iPad either.

When I compare my LG (Android) tablet to my brother's iPad, it seems like a no brainer. Mine cost less, is more compact, has twice as much memory and overall, works better than his does.

He has more apps (a lot more) than I do, but that's mostly because I don't bother with them all that much - I prefer using things like Google Drive, Maps, etc. simply because of personal preference.

I've never had an iPhone, but I really enjoyed using a Blackberry when I worked at the Legislature a few years ago. I might even break down and get a smartphone this year, but have no idea what to get.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 am

Gunnair wrote:

Oh I beg to differ there as well. I have the latest iPad along with a Nano, iPod and iTouch so I have my share of experience with Apple. My wife has an ASUS tablet for work which we take on vacations. It's a great size for mobility along with a great touch display and detachable keyboard. It also has the ability to take the SD card from the camera and copy the pictures. I can also use USB sticks with it as well so at that point it doesn't really matter how big the hard drive is.
IMHO ASUS ROCKS!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 am

The principal difference between Apple and BlackBerry/Motorolla/Nokia is that Apple has a diversified product line (cell phones, tablets, computers, software, etc). The other companies are single-product enterprises. And the demise of RIM and Nokia has been at the hands of Apple. Apple is the predator and it sits atop the food chain.

My wife has an iPhone and the kids have iPads. I have an iPod, but I use my Kobo Arc (android) reader as my primary mobile device.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 am

DrCaleb wrote:

I beg to differ.

Agreed.

I currently have 3 tablets; iPad, Galaxy Tab 2 and Playbook. The Galaxy Tab is by far the better tablet and the Playbook is fantastic when I'm away from the office on business. The kids love the iPad and I use it only if the Galaxy isn't available.

I find Apple stuff too locked down, you can't do "normal" tasks with them like music sharing, file sharing and media playing. I hate that Apple forces you to use their media format to play shit.

I'm on my 3rd Blackberry phone in a row and will likely switch to the Z10 or Q10 in April or the Galaxy S4.