canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:15 pm

I won't copy-and-paste the article, as it is too long, but here is an excerpt of an interesting column I read on Politico.com:

Quote:
So what’s changed since the 1960s and '70s? Overtime pay, in part. Your parents got a lot of it, and you don’t. And it turns out that fair overtime standards are to the middle class what the minimum wage is to low-income workers: not everything, but an indispensable labor protection that is absolutely essential to creating a broad and thriving middle class. In 1975, more than 65 percent of salaried American workers earned time-and-a-half pay for every hour worked over 40 hours a week. Not because capitalists back then were more generous, but because it was the law. It still is the law, except that the value of the threshold for overtime pay—the salary level at which employers are required to pay overtime—has been allowed to erode to less than the poverty line for a family of four today. Only workers earning an annual income of under $23,660 qualify for mandatory overtime. You know many people like that? Probably not. By 2013, just 11 percent of salaried workers qualified for overtime pay, according to a report published by the Economic Policy Institute. And so business owners like me have been able to make the other 89 percent of you work unlimited overtime hours for no additional pay at all.

Full column here.

I'm sympathetic to the author's thesis that the overtime threshold should be raised both to pay workers for the hours they work and maybe even boost employment, but I'm curious what you all think.

Full disclosure: I somehow landed a professional job that pays by the hour instead of salary, so missing out on overtime is not a concern for me.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Quote:
And so business owners like me have been able to make the other 89 percent of you work unlimited overtime hours for no additional pay at all.

And that's when I find a new employer. They are in it to make money. So am I. I sell my knowledge and time, and if I'm not getting paid then I have no reason to show up in the morning or stay late at night.

DanSC wrote:
Full disclosure: I somehow landed a professional job that pays by the hour instead of salary, so missing out on overtime is not a concern for me.

The last few years, I've been a contractor. Typically the contracting agreements require oncall and overtime, as change windows are usually after hours or weekends. But compensation is hourly, at a constant rate. But you sign these agreements eyes wide open. Not a mandated time-and-a-half, but at least it wasn't for free.

My current position is as an employee, so I also get paid overtime as time in lieu, paid to be oncall (2 work hours per day of oncall) and doubletime on holidays. And, for the first time in I don't know how long, I get a performance bonus as our contract came in above target, plus a raise, plus a Christmas bonus!! W00t!

That said, I think people should get paid for the work they do. If your business model is to hire too few employees that the others need to stay late or work weekends to get the piss poorly planned project completed on time, then you should have to pay for their loss of life and/or family time. And it should hurt a little.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:57 pm

I work 55 hours a week, and I'm on salary. Overtime? That'll be the day. 11 hours a day for me, and I go home with no more money, only the fatigue that tells me how long and hard I worked. Oh well.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Like many other labour protections, it is slowly being whittled away so the "job creators" can have another billion to throw on the pile.