canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:09 am

Lemmy wrote:
RBC employs nearly 60,000 Canadians and we want to crucify them over cutting 46 jobs? Really?

Well that's kinda like saying, as it seems to me I've heard recently in several topics, why worry about that $xx million the government wastes? It's a drop in the bucket.

If we look at something that way, the bucket might fill up pretty quick! :D

It hearkens back to that old British expression - "Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 am

Optics aside, wouldn't it be nice to know how many Canadians were hired by RBC on the same day these 46 were cut?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 am

Lemmy wrote:
Gunnair wrote:
Why not? RBC ain't hurting for profits. They cut full time Canadians and hire temp foreign workers who will contribute little to the local economy.

Sounds like a great reason for crusifying them.

Optics aside, wouldn't it be nice to know how many Canadians were hired by RBC on the same day these 46 were cut?

Only in order to judge its quality of a deflection to the issue.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 am

Lemmy wrote:

Jeez, and you a uni prof and all. What does one have to do with the other. Are you saying that because these people were cut, RBC was able to hire other people for other positions?

Outsourcing of IT jobs is a scourge - those are good jobs. Exploiting loopholes in temp job laws to bring the people who will take those jobs away from Canadians here to be trained by those very Canadians is a travesty. Keep going down this road and you won't be asking how many people RBC hired but fired because Canadians don't have the money to put into RBC bankaccounts anymore. Mcjobs don't make for much investment, and even Mcjobs rely on somebody still having a real job and money to spend.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 am

Gunnair wrote:
Only in order to judge its quality of a deflection to the issue.

That's fair, and I'm not defending RBC. There's cause to be critical in this case. I'm just saying that the fate of 46 employees in a corporation that employs more than 80,000 people worldwide doesn't accurately reveal this company's record or standards, vis a vis labour relations.

andy wrote:
Jeez, and you a uni prof and all. What does one have to do with the other. Are you saying that because these people were cut, RBC was able to hire other people for other positions?

No, I'm saying that, even if they screwed these 46, how many others did they do well by? How many out of 80,000 have to be unhappy before we declare this company a bad employer? I think that number needs to be higher than 0.0575% of their workforce to draw that conclusion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 am

PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
RBC. What a BUNCH of boneheads. When I first moved to Cmabridge I opened an account with RBC(God knows why, they sucked the last time I had accounts with them).
I also told them I didn't want a debit card right away because I didn't want easy access to the funds. About a year later I decided to get a debit card for my account.
They told me they couldn't give me one because the instructions on my account said not to issue me one. When I told them those were MY instructions it didn't matter. SO, I closed my account and took my money elsewhere.

When I was still living in Windsor, I had two accounts with the Royal Bank with a totoal of just over $6000 between them. I was still kind of young and hadn't established a credit rating so when my buddy's dad offered to sell his '71 MACH 1 to me for $2000, I jumped at the chance. I went to my branch to apply for a loan. After telling me they didn't do loans for less than $5000 I told them I'd take one for $5000 then. They turned me down. I said, "But wait a second here, you have $6000 dollars of mine between two accounts. I could take the cash and just buy the damn car but I'd like to establish a credit rating". I told them they could even freeze my making any withdrawals on both accounts until the loan was paid off.

After some discussion with her manager, she came back and said they could do it if I got a co-signer. I told them to fuck off and closed my accounts.

A former employer of mine tried to get cash out of RBC once so he could buy a Camaro he saw in the Auto Trader. Even though he, and the business he was running, was worth a few million RBC dicked him around and said that they'd give him a bank draft but they weren't allowed to give out that much cash. Bad and costly move on their part, because all out payroll invoicing and benefits were done through RBC. It pissed him off so much that he had all of the company's business switched to another bank before the month was over.

He did end up getting the Camaro though. As far as I know he's been bombing back and forth to work in it every day for the last 13 years. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Quote:

If that's the case (and I'm not quite sure of that yet), it might not be quite the same as the foreign workers staying here, but is that really any better? Canadians train them, in Canada, so they can leave and take those Canadians' jobs with them, leaving those same Canadians without work. I'd say that's the height of insult.

That is still unfortunate, but offshoring has been a common and well-known practise over the past 20 years or so and perfectly legal.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanos wrote:
A former employer of mine tried to get cash out of RBC once so he could buy a Camaro he saw in the Auto Trader. Even though he, and the business he was running, was worth a few million RBC dicked him around and said that they'd give him a bank draft but they weren't allowed to give out that much cash. Bad and costly move on their part, because all out payroll invoicing and benefits were done through RBC. It pissed him off so much that he had all of the company's business switched to another bank before the month was over.

He did end up getting the Camaro though. As far as I know he's been bombing back and forth to work in it every day for the last 13 years. :lol:

The guy didn't need cash, but I did loan someone $240,000 once to buy a car. :lol:

As to your cash thing, we did ask people to give us a couple of days notice when they needed a large amount... but there was never any problems.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm

I don't think there's much difference between RBC and the other big banks.

I do find the timing of the story somewhat odd. Surely, there must be hundreds of people like this poor schmuk at RBC's IT department daily across Canada who find that they've been replaced by Hardoop Sanjignh's BellyGoodService Enterprises.

This one seesm to have hit a nerve--maybe because it's a big bad bank. Or maybe it's just an issue whose time has come. Or maybe because it appears as if they are being replaced by foreign workers in Canada (a claim the bank, in its weaselly bank way, denies).

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Something everyone may want to consider; many governments have service contracts with large service corporations that use offshoring as a means of cost cutting. These government contracts almost always have a clause in them that requires anyone working on the contract to reside in a certain province, or at least in Canada. The main reason is not to protect jobs, it's to protect the data the infrastructure contains.

If the infrastructure is offshored (or put into the mystical 'cloud'), so is the data. In the case of Governments, that would be data about you and me. If you bank with RBC, your data probabally will be offshored, where it is not subject to the same privacy laws as it is here.

That said, bringing workers here to learn the job and then take the skills back home with them isn't new, but it's not very nice.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Lemmy wrote:
I'm saying that, even if they screwed these 46, how many others did they do well by?

The "46" could very well be the tip of the iceberg as far as company philosophy and employment practices are concerned. I'd much rather see something like, "Hey, this decision by xx department goes against our philosophy of continuing to provide good jobs to long-standing Canadian employees, and we will move to correct the situation".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I kinda wonder what companies will do when at one point in the future, there won't be anywhere left to cut.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm

raydan wrote:
I kinda wonder what companies will do when at one point in the future, there won't be anywhere left to cut.

Yeah, you've got to wonder how far and how many they can cut before people won't be able to afford their services.

How many burger flippers have RRSPs? Or can afford car loans? Eventually, all this offshoring is going to bite big corporations in the one place they care - profits.

Last edited by bootlegga on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Quote:
our philosophy of continuing to provide good jobs to long-standing Canadian employees,

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

No employer talks like that ever.

I laugh, but it's sad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:15 pm

bootlegga wrote:
raydan wrote:

Yeah, you've got to wonder how far and how many they can cut before people won't be able to afford their services.

How many burger flippers have RRSPs? Or can afford car loans? Eventually, all this offshoring is going to bite big corporations in the one place they care - profits.

My friend works for a hi-tech firm that has already discovered this. Even if you only pay the Inidians 20% of what a similar person would make here, it can still be a money-losing proposition. Fact is, an Indian call centre is an easy way to lose customers, because it often takes several more calls to resolve an issue. This isn't so much the case with banks (who don't have much in the way of competition), but in more competitive industries, where customers can easily defect to another company, my friend tells me that out-sourcing to third-world countries is not considered the panacea it once was.