canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Well with the RRSP deadline a hop, jump and a tick of the clock away, have those of you with money decided if you're going to put more or less away in RRSPs or are you going to change how and where you save/invest your money? My wife and I decided to put a big chunk of our savings and investments into stasis with government bonds. Not a big return, but not much chance of taking a huge hit either.

So far, that's the only effect the recession has had on us. Here in Taiwan, people are going back to school to upgrade skills, including their English, hoping this givs them an edge in the job market. So, things are pretty secure for me at university, and school for kids goes on regardless of economic conditions, so my wife has no concerns either. No mortgage also helps.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm going to max out my rrsp's and then start up one of those new TFSA's. I don't think I'm going the bond route at the moment though, I'll probably throw it into equity. A bit risky atm but beats the hell out of 1% and the markets should recover sooner or later *knock on wood*.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 pm

To the government. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 am

TFSA's and Image

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 pm

I'm sticking with RRSPs (mostly in mutual funds, but a bit in GICs too).

Everyone is down on them because of the market downturn, but if you follow the rules of dollar ocst averaging, now is the best time to buy them, simply because they are much cheaper now than they were a year ago (meaning you buy more shares for the same dollar amount).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:26 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

Everyone is down on them because of the market downturn, but if you follow the rules of dollar ocst averaging, now is the best time to buy them, simply because they are much cheaper now than they were a year ago (meaning you buy more shares for the same dollar amount).

you sound like Harper :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:28 pm

My money is going to a week in the sun on a beach. So a really great tan I guess :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:10 pm

mtbr mtbr:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Nope, I'm buying low and selling high, while he buys high and sells low... :lol:

http://www2.canada.com/saskatoonstarpho ... a8613a1d13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:16 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
mtbr mtbr:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Nope, I'm buying low and selling high, while he buys high and sells low... :lol:

http://www2.canada.com/saskatoonstarpho ... a8613a1d13

what has he sold?

what has he bought ?

I was referring to him saying buy stocks, the comment the opposition got all pissy about last fall.

Did you hear what Obama said :P

""On the other hand, what you're now seeing is profit and earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal if you've got a longterm perspective on it."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090303/ts_ ... _economy_5

friggen copy cat :P

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:36 pm

If you're not too scared of the financials, Accenture is a good investment. It's been forced down by the gloom of its sector, but its price:earnings ratio is better than 4:1, so it's a really good buy right now. The Canadian banks are all very safe, high dividend investments that are WAY undervalued. For RRSP mutual funds, I'd be looking for funds with a heavy Canadian bank content. To buy Bonds now, with the interest rate so low, requires paying a heavy rate premium that, IMHO, is too high, given zero grow potential. Get into the Canadian banking sector while its so grossly undervalued.

Where's MY money going? I'm buying a '74 Les Paul.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:38 pm

mtbr mtbr:
what has he sold?

what has he bought ?

I was referring to him saying buy stocks, the comment the opposition got all pissy about last fall.

""On the other hand, what you're now seeing is profit and earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal if you've got a longterm perspective on it."

Nothing yet, but he's proposed putting Crown assets on the block...right when their value is depressed...hence the sell low. I'm not buying stocks, but mutual funds.

If anything, he's copying me, not the other way around. My financial plan is based (in part) on The Wealthy Barber, printed well before Harper got into politics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealthy_Barber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:46 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
mtbr mtbr:
what has he sold?

what has he bought ?

Nothing yet, but he's proposed putting Crown assets on the block...right when their value is depressed...hence the sell low. I'm not buying stocks, but mutual funds.

If anything, he's copying me, not the other way around. My financial plan is based (in part) on The Wealthy Barber, printed well before Harper got into politics...

If he gave the CBC away for a buck that would be a wise sale for Canadians.

and I was referring to Obama copying Harper, the same comment that he got jumped on for making.