bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:35 am

Ireland cut corporate and personal income tax rates to 10% and eliminated exemptions and loopholes to make sure that no one got creative to avoid paying their taxes - Bono, the jackass from U2 - of course left the country so he could go to a country where his accountants could get away with gameplaying to evade paying any taxes.

In any case, Ireland is now the economic juggernaut of Europe when just thirty years ago they were the poorest nation in Europe - behind even Portugal.

Canada would be an instant magnet for US businesses and investments were Canada to cut the upper level tax rates to 10% across the board and then dump all of the exemptions the same way Ireland did.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:43 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Ireland cut corporate and personal income tax rates to 10% and eliminated exemptions and loopholes to make sure that no one got creative to avoid paying their taxes - Bono, the jackass from U2 - of course left the country so he could go to a country where his accountants could get away with gameplaying to evade paying any taxes.

In any case, Ireland is now the economic juggernaut of Europe when just thirty years ago they were the poorest nation in Europe - behind even Portugal.

Canada would be an instant magnet for US businesses and investments were Canada to cut the upper level tax rates to 10% across the board and then dump all of the exemptions the same way Ireland did.

We're running near full capacity already, we don't need to be a Magnet. Any Tax Cuts here will be mostly to help Business compete with a High $CDN.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:52 pm

sandorski sandorski:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

We're running near full capacity already, we don't need to be a Magnet. Any Tax Cuts here will be mostly to help Business compete with a High $CDN.

It isn't about being a magnet today, it's about creating prosperity and stability tomorrow.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:07 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Then you agree that the Liberal plan for corporate and personal income tax cuts Vs GST cuts is a better plan for increased economic growth, right?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Bart, I find it amazing how much you care for our country. For the most part I couldn't give a fuck about countries outside of Europe, America, and Ociania. The rest can go to hell. :D Even then, I'll cover my back before anyone elses... which is why I am amazed and admire your mentality.

anyways, I like the Ireland idea, but first I think we should pay down as much of the dept. as possible BEFORE the tax cuts. Why? because I would assume we would use this model when the economy starts to go downhill so that we could encourage Americans to come up north, and as such boost our economy again. But there is also the risk factor that this plot would either fail, or companies wouldn't come north... We'd be putting ourselves into an even worse position for the first couple years. so the less initial debt. we have, the less of a burdon it is.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Bart, I find it amazing how much you care for our country. For the most part I couldn't give a fuck about countries outside of Europe, America, and Ociania. The rest can go to hell. :D Even then, I'll cover my back before anyone elses... which is why I am amazed and admire your mentality.

anyways, I like the Ireland idea, but first I think we should pay down as much of the dept. as possible BEFORE the tax cuts. Why? because I would assume we would use this model when the economy starts to go downhill so that we could encourage Americans to come up north, and as such boost our economy again. But there is also the risk factor that this plot would either fail, or companies wouldn't come north... We'd be putting ourselves into an even worse position for the first couple years. so the less initial debt. we have, the less of a burdon it is.

Yup. There's a time and place for everything, this is neither the time or place for drastic changes to the Tax System.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:42 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Then you agree that the Liberal plan for corporate and personal income tax cuts Vs GST cuts is a better plan for increased economic growth, right?

Actually, yes, I do. Leaving the consumption tax alone while cutting income taxes will encourage investment which expands the available capital to expand the Canadian economy...thus higher tax revenues at the end of the day.

:wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:46 pm

Funny, you folks don't see how truly special and unique you are in the world. You take yourselves for granted.

I don't.

I see in Canada the worlds next superpower if only you'd have a little faith in yourselves.

Just as the 20th Century was the American Century I truly believe that this is the Canadian Century and that things will be astoundingly better for Canada over the coming years.

Because you people have so much potential and because, despite the occasional asstard, Canadians are probably the most decent people in the world.

Americans used to hold that title, but we've turned inward and we've become narcissistic and guilt ridden to where we're pissing away our birthright.

So long as you don't blow it, Canada will lead the world within a few decades.

Oh, and the Irish proved that you can cut taxes and raise revenues. If you do what they proved works you'll be able to pay off your debt sooner than if you do nothing at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:53 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Funny, you folks don't see how truly special and unique you are in the world. You take yourselves for granted.

I don't.

I see in Canada the worlds next superpower if only you'd have a little faith in yourselves.

Just as the 20th Century was the American Century I truly believe that this is the Canadian Century and that things will be astoundingly better for Canada over the coming years.

Because you people have so much potential and because, despite the occasional asstard, Canadians are probably the most decent people in the world.

Americans used to hold that title, but we've turned inward and we've become narcissistic and guilt ridden to where we're pissing away our birthright.

So long as you don't blow it, Canada will lead the world within a few decades.

Oh, and the Irish proved that you can cut taxes and raise revenues. If you do what they proved works you'll be able to pay off your debt sooner than if you do nothing at all.

We need to triple our population before we can even think about being a "Super Power". Probably even more than that though.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:01 pm

Its not just about population anymore, it is more about money. If china uses a 100 people in a sweatshop where we only use one to operate the machinery to produce the same goods at better quality and standards, we have china beat at least 3 times over. Only way we'd lose is in a military conflict... In which case our only chance would be space-based super weapons. something like the ION cannon from Command and Conquer or gunships with hundreds or thousands of tactical nuclear weapons per satellite.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:12 pm

sandorski sandorski:
We need to triple our population before we can even think about being a "Super Power". Probably even more than that though.

There's more to being a superpower than population or military hardware. Those were how people measured power in the last century.

While Canada does need to improve her military capabilities, Canada will also have influence around the world far and away out of scale to her military or population.

Canada keeps acting as if they're second place to the USA and that seems to be the focus. As the power of the USA wanes it is Canada that will lead in North America and it is Canada that will hold the reigns of American power.

Canada does not need to have the power, you merely need to control it. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:21 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
sandorski sandorski:

There's more to being a superpower than population or military hardware. Those were how people measured power in the last century.

While Canada does need to improve her military capabilities, Canada will also have influence around the world far and away out of scale to her military or population.

Canada keeps acting as if they're second place to the USA and that seems to be the focus. As the power of the USA wanes it is Canada that will lead in North America and it is Canada that will hold the reigns of American power.

Canada does not need to have the power, you merely need to control it. :idea:

I suppose that's a good point. We've had a few such influences, although we completely blew it on Kyoto. In order to accomplish that we need a more Independent from the US Foreign Policy though. Harper has done a mediocre job on that. Not Terrible, but not Great either.