bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:37 am

Mukluk wrote:
Imagine all of the brownouts if we were wind dependent. On the other hand, you have TXU moving ahead with the only type of new power that the consumer can stomach, with their announcement of 11 new coal fired plants in Texas.

I hope those plants are required to utilize the latest technology for generation of power and the reduction of pollutants with a mandate to make improvements to these processes on a regular basis as newer technology becomes available.

I'm still lost as to why you continue to bash alternate 'green' power generation sources. I don't recall anyone saying wind power or solar power would ever solve our problems. The key here is that they can supplement the power sources we find less desirable such as fossil fuel power generation and nuclear power. If it helps decrease our reliance on fossil fuels and nuclear energy then it's all good.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Hey Ripcat

The forum is business, and as far as business goes, my advice is that coal will rule for the next several years. People enjoy the thought of green power, then protest wind farms (see my thread starting post). I don't mean to bash green power, please don't take my posts that way. It is just not feasible in the near future to meet the demands of the masses - and people get upset by that....but then protest wind farms.

From a business point of view, my advice remains unchanged: coal then nukes. The tickers I posted April 11th are all up 40% and two have announced splits, and they were not penny stocks to begin with. These are big outfits that are seeing increased pricing and demand for their commodity.

Cheers
m

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:37 pm

Mukluk wrote:
The forum is business, and as far as business goes, my advice is that coal will rule for the next several years.
That'd make some sense if the only consideration in business was economics.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:09 pm

Well Mukluk, I'm no investor but when I invest in building new decks on my home I will also be investing in a solar power generation system for the exterior lighting of my home and yard. I will also be able to run the sump pump off this so power failures will not be a problem and I can get rid of the backup pump.

With the continued rise in the price of electricity more home owners will dabble in home power generation and continued investment in this area will bode well for me as better/cheaper solar panels will benefit me in the near future.

If I ever get around to putting a garage with 2nd floor addition on the house I'm thinking of mounting a wind turbine on top and generating power with that.

I also have a working well in the backyard(it used to supply the house and a few neighbours with water before town water was intalled 15 years ago) that we use to water the vegetable garden.

My goal is to be as self sufficient as possible in power and water by the time I retire if we chose to remain in this house.

If only I could raise a few cows and pigs for milk and meat.... :P

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:12 pm

R=UP

Bravo Ripcat. Am renting at the moment, but am trying to persuade my landlord to make similar steps. Slowly slowly.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:17 pm

Ripcat wrote:
Well Mukluk, I'm no investor but when I invest in building new decks on my home I will also be investing in a solar power generation system for the exterior lighting of my home and yard. I will also be able to run the sump pump off this so power failures will not be a problem and I can get rid of the backup pump.

With the continued rise in the price of electricity more home owners will dabble in home power generation and continued investment in this area will bode well for me as better/cheaper solar panels will benefit me in the near future. If I ever get around to putting a garage with 2nd floor addition on the house I'm thinking of mounting a wind turbine on top and generating power with that.

I also have a working well in the backyard(it used to supply the house and a few neighbours with water before town water was intalled 15 years ago) that we use to water the vegetable garden.

My goal is to be as self sufficient as possible in power and water by the time I retire if we chose to remain in this house.

If only I could raise a few cows and pigs for milk and meat.... :P[/quote]

Hey Ripcat, I think you have me pegged as a tree burner (vs hugger :)) I really am not, and have done a lot of reading on projects like the one your talking about. These projects are great!

We essentially all own the equivalent of Hummers when it comes to our homes (with a few exceptions, such as yourself). Until people spend the extra buck for the high efficiency bulb, washer dryer set, more insulation etc etc, companies will have to put in large power plants. They must meet the demand set by the consumer. There is no tolerance for blackouts or brownouts.

And these large power plants can't all be token 500MW wind farms to appease the masses and offset the bad press that inevitably comes with an announcement of 8600MW (at half the price, by the way, per installed MW) in thermal capacity.

Kudos on your efforts.

And if you have a few extra bucks after building your deck, BTU is still looking like it has a lot of upside...hehe.

Cheers
m