CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 50938
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:57 pm
 


dudenamedric wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the info...but come on, don't give me shit for asking about this stuff. The whole reason I asked these questions was to gain a better understanding. I don't really trust what I read on websites because they're designed to sell the country to you. I wanted honest answers from common people who live there, which is exactly what I got. I just don't appreciate being made fun of for being off base.

The only website you need is the website of the embassy. Like I stated before. All other websites and opinions are just what they are. The embassy is the one processing your application, no one else.


Offline
Active Member
Active Member


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:11 pm
 


coaster_dot wrote:
dudenamedric wrote:
Hey, I currently live in America, but I've been seriously considering moving to Canada for a few years now. I've been researching Canada but I really wanna ask a few questions here so that I can get direct answers from Canadians, rather than read a glorified version of the case in a brochure.

What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is if the Canadian health care system is really free. If so, how exactly does it work? Are the wait times really as bad as everybody says? In America, we have pretty ridiculous wait times as well but we also have to pay out of pocket for it.

How is the education system compared to America? I'm asking not only for my children, but I, myself, am looking into transferring to a Canadian University. I hear that the educational system in Canada is far superior to America, and also that it's free, even college. Is this true?

I really hope you guys can help me out. I appreciate your time and your input.


I'm assuming this is also your introduction then but hey!

I feel the same way about moving there. But I would really research EVERYTHING and visit FREQUENTLY almost everywhere too see if it is really right for you. And reading your post...I would do some more research and learning ;)

Also how do you plan to apply? Are you doing a skilled worker visa? If you would like to do that you will need about $10,500. ($10,000 in proof of funds and about $500 for the applications alone). Another way to do it is to find a job up there and not have to pay the $10,000 in funds. And most likely your employer will pay for the application. Also once you do all that you will need to wait....about 2 years or more.

It is a very long process and you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to make sure you want to do this.

I have been researching this since I was about 14 and am still wanting to go through with it. I also have been visiting different parts of Canada multiple times a year since I was a kid. Not to mention, my dads side of the family lived in Canada before coming to the states. Also I don't plan on starting the application process until I graduate college.


I am not sure if it is still the same but I lived and worked in the US for about 4 years on a NAFTA TN1 work visa. I assume it works the same both ways. I just found a job in the US, drove back to the boarder with a letter from the employer and about 1 hour in immigration at Sweet Grass I had a TN1 work visa that cost $60.00 US good for 1 year. I had to re-apply each year through the mail for $50.00 US. This may be only available to Professionals though, not sure.

I also lived in the US for the five years prior to that going to University. In that situation I had a student visa. For that, like you said, I had to prove that I had $10,000 US in the bank to live on each year. I also was not allowed to work off campus without a work visa. I was allowed to work on campus though.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11392
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:11 pm
 


mtbr wrote:
dudenamedric wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the info...but come on, don't give me shit for asking about this stuff. The whole reason I asked these questions was to gain a better understanding. I don't really trust what I read on websites because they're designed to sell the country to you. I wanted honest answers from common people who live there, which is exactly what I got. I just don't appreciate being made fun of for being off base.



This is Canada, if you don't have a sense of humOUR, you're not welcome :lol:


Agreed, if you don't have a sense of humor in Canada, you may end up voting for the NDP 8O


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 30765
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:12 pm
 


You guys that answered this desperate cry for help are all bad, very bad people.


That said, "We don't need any more friggin' Americans in Canada"!!! :wink:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11392
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:16 pm
 


raydan wrote:
You guys that answered this desperate cry for help are all bad, very bad people.


That said, "We don't need any more friggin' Americans in Canada"!!! :wink:


:lol:

Americans are to Canadians
AS
Mexicans are to Americans :twisted:


















Dudenamedric .......I'm joking :P


Offline
Active Member
Active Member


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:18 pm
 


dudenamedric wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the info...but come on, don't give me shit for asking about this stuff. The whole reason I asked these questions was to gain a better understanding. I don't really trust what I read on websites because they're designed to sell the country to you. I wanted honest answers from common people who live there, which is exactly what I got. I just don't appreciate being made fun of for being off base.

Research the NAFTA TN1 work visa. It may be called something different if you are coming from the US to Canada but I believe that since it is a NAFTA agreement the plan works the same both ways. If you are a university student call the foreign students office at the University you may plan to attend. When I went to University in the US the foreign student’s office took care of all the paper work for me. They just sent me some paper work to sign and I had to get caught up on all of my vaccinations.

For the NAFTA visa I just needed to prove that I had a job offer and a letter from the employer, I didn't need to prove any bank funds.

Good luck on your search. [B-o]


Last edited by rawmeat on Thu May 21, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline
Active Member
Active Member


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:29 pm
 


Check the link below for a Student visa and how to get one

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ ... /study.asp

The following link is a start on how to get a work visa. Also try to call one of the contact numbers on the web page. It may be faster if you call and ask questions rather than searching through the endless pages on the web site

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... 5553E3.asp


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:36 pm
 


novachick wrote:
raydan wrote:
You guys that answered this desperate cry for help are all bad, very bad people.


That said, "We don't need any more friggin' Americans in Canada"!!! :wink:


:lol:

Americans are to Canadians
AS
Mexicans are to Americans :twisted:


















Dudenamedric .......I'm joking :P


haha oh shit, for a second i was like "do Canadians really feel that way?" but that would be a little too American of you haha.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11392
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:38 pm
 


dudenamedric wrote:
novachick wrote:
raydan wrote:
You guys that answered this desperate cry for help are all bad, very bad people.


That said, "We don't need any more friggin' Americans in Canada"!!! :wink:


:lol:

Americans are to Canadians
AS
Mexicans are to Americans :twisted:


















Dudenamedric .......I'm joking :P


haha oh shit, for a second i was like "do Canadians really feel that way?" but that would be a little too American of you haha.



ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL [B-o]


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 5368
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:57 pm
 


novachick wrote:
raydan wrote:
You guys that answered this desperate cry for help are all bad, very bad people.


That said, "We don't need any more friggin' Americans in Canada"!!! :wink:


:lol:

Americans are to Canadians
AS
Mexicans are to Americans :twisted:


















Dudenamedric .......I'm joking :P


HAHA...there's a difference though. When people immigrated they had a choice America or Canada. So we all come from the same roots...almost.

However, you don't see many Americans sneaking into Canada....at least not many as Mexicans sneaking into the US.

But Canadians are very welcoming and polite. Every time I visit I always feel welcomed :D Once I was talking to some dude outside of my hotel while I was smoking and he offered to get my a beer across the street because he was a Green Bay packers fan :lol:

Question for dudenamedric, have you ever visited Canada?


Offline
Active Member
Active Member


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:02 pm
 


coaster_dot that is a good question, also I would ask why do you want to move to Canada? Is it some sort of political decsion or just looking for a new life experience?

Visiting the part of Canada you want to move to would be a very good idea.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 5368
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:10 pm
 


For me its not a political reason or the fact that I "hate the US". Just visiting (London, ON especially) I just became really attached to it for some reason. Just the views on life, the culture, ect. Its really hard to say exactly why in a post. But the more I visit the more I like it.

Another reason is from a family stand point. When I was a kid and found out that my family lived there I became really interested in it and thats when it started.





PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 pm
 


coaster_dot wrote:
For me its not a political reason or the fact that I "hate the US". Just visiting (London, ON especially) I just became really attached to it for some reason. Just the views on life, the culture, ect. Its really hard to say exactly why in a post. But the more I visit the more I like it.

Another reason is from a family stand point. When I was a kid and found out that my family lived there I became really interested in it and thats when it started.

You sure it's not just a case of the grass is always greener in someone else's backyard?

You'll never find out because the snow is a hell of a lot deeper.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9838
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:54 pm
 


As the teller at the grocery store explained to a treeplanter:
"We're not staring at you because you're black. We're staring at you for wearing a toque in July. Everyone thinks you're mental...."


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 21443
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 pm
 


dudenamedric wrote:
Hey, I currently live in America, but I've been seriously considering moving to Canada for a few years now. I've been researching Canada but I really wanna ask a few questions here so that I can get direct answers from Canadians, rather than read a glorified version of the case in a brochure.

What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is if the Canadian health care system is really free. If so, how exactly does it work? Are the wait times really as bad as everybody says? In America, we have pretty ridiculous wait times as well but we also have to pay out of pocket for it.

How is the education system compared to America? I'm asking not only for my children, but I, myself, am looking into transferring to a Canadian University. I hear that the educational system in Canada is far superior to America, and also that it's free, even college. Is this true?

I really hope you guys can help me out. I appreciate your time and your input.


Health care depends on the province, but in Alberta, I think it's pretty good. Medical care is usually dispensed in a triage format, with those needing it the most getting treatment the quickest. My sister got an MRI a month after a major accident due to the seriousness, while a friend got one within a couple of days. Generally, doctors do their best not to let someone die while waiting for treatment. however, if you show up in the ER with a scrape or ingrown toenail, expect to wait a lot longer than someone who just had a heart attack.

Free university? No, but it is much cheaper and depending on the school, roughly equal in quality. Example, the University of Alberta chargd my wife about $24,000 for an MBA (total over 2 years). NYU (or some other university in New York City), wanted $40,000 a year for 2 years. Odds are, the education was close, but the NYU degree might have better cachet than a UofA one. Still, it got her a job making six figures, so it can't be all that bad.

Average care and education are usually better )or at least equivalent) to the USA. however, if you are in the top 5%, you are better off in the US because you can afford the best medical coverage and education system in the world.

Basically, Canada aims to provide good coverage and education to almost everyone, while in the US, it appears the wealthier part of society gets the best and the lower middle class and poor get whatever is leftover.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 13  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.