CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:08 pm

bootlegga wrote:

Health care depends on the province, but in Alberta, I think it's pretty good. Medical care is usually dispensed in a triage format, with those needing it the most getting treatment the quickest. My sister got an MRI a month after a major accident due to the seriousness, while a friend got one within a couple of days. Generally, doctors do their best not to let someone die while waiting for treatment. however, if you show up in the ER with a scrape or ingrown toenail, expect to wait a lot longer than someone who just had a heart attack.

Free university? No, but it is much cheaper and depending on the school, roughly equal in quality. Example, the University of Alberta chargd my wife about $24,000 for an MBA (total over 2 years). NYU (or some other university in New York City), wanted $40,000 a year for 2 years. Odds are, the education was close, but the NYU degree might have better cachet than a UofA one. Still, it got her a job making six figures, so it can't be all that bad.

Average care and education are usually better )or at least equivalent) to the USA. however, if you are in the top 5%, you are better off in the US because you can afford the best medical coverage and education system in the world.

Basically, Canada aims to provide good coverage and education to almost everyone, while in the US, it appears the wealthier part of society gets the best and the lower middle class and poor get whatever is leftover.

I thought living in Alberta was pure hell for some people [huh] ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:11 pm

I never said that. I just think it cuold be better run that's all.

Bring back Peter Lougheed and I'll stop complaining. Just like the federal Liberals, the previous generation was far superior to the peacocks running things now. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:13 pm

bootlegga wrote:
I never said that. I just think it cuold be better run that's all.

Bring back Peter Lougheed and I'll stop complaining. Just like the federal Liberals, the previous generation was far superior to the peacocks running things now. :lol:

Yeah Dion and Iggy are both a bunch of useless carpet baggers :lol:

even as the opposition. :P

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:37 pm

to answer Coaster_dot and Rawmeat's questions, I have been to Canada once. I went to Windsor for a day and really enjoyed it. My thoughts about moving to Canada I spose are political. I'm just not very happy with the direction the US is heading. It's almost as if the US has become England during Colonial times, the very thing we fought against back then. The US is losing more freedoms everyday. I believe we're number 40 or something on the freedom index, whereas Canada is 18ish. As of right now, it just seems like a nice place to live. I haven't really ever heard anything bad about Canada. If I do end up moving, I believe it would either be to Ontario or BC, and it wouldn't be for a few years...and I do have plans to visit both places in the mean time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Can Yanks just move here? Canadians rarely get green cards. Why would we let Americans in here to live/work when they don't let us in to do the same in the USA?

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 pm

bootlegga wrote:
dudenamedric wrote:
Hey, I currently live in America, but I've been seriously considering moving to Canada for a few years now. I've been researching Canada but I really wanna ask a few questions here so that I can get direct answers from Canadians, rather than read a glorified version of the case in a brochure.

What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is if the Canadian health care system is really free. If so, how exactly does it work? Are the wait times really as bad as everybody says? In America, we have pretty ridiculous wait times as well but we also have to pay out of pocket for it.

How is the education system compared to America? I'm asking not only for my children, but I, myself, am looking into transferring to a Canadian University. I hear that the educational system in Canada is far superior to America, and also that it's free, even college. Is this true?

I really hope you guys can help me out. I appreciate your time and your input.

Free university? No, but it is much cheaper and depending on the school, roughly equal in quality. Example, the University of Alberta chargd my wife about $24,000 for an MBA (total over 2 years). NYU (or some other university in New York City), wanted $40,000 a year for 2 years. Odds are, the education was close, but the NYU degree might have better cachet than a UofA one. Still, it got her a job making six figures, so it can't be all that bad.

Actually..

Not free for you, but if your minor children attend high school for 2 years, the YK offers a lot of free post secondary. :wink:

(Sorry Nova, true story :lol: )

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:50 pm

Hey Dude,

First of all welcome to CKA! Funny, there have been a few American members here that have expressed a desire to move to the Great White North, guess that's why they have joined CKA, to learn more about what makes us tick.

Come on in, the door is always open to those who can bring a skill and make a contribution. Definitely come and see B.C., we're an awesome province, very beautiful and diverse. I work in the hospitality industry and have chatted with people from different areas of the US as well as from other countries. I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't appreciate all there is to see and do here. Good luck with your research and in the meantime enjoy your time on CKA.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:34 pm

dudenamedric wrote:
to answer Coaster_dot and Rawmeat's questions, I have been to Canada once. I went to Windsor for a day and really enjoyed it.

It shows, living in the city sucks, especially lately with the whole public sector union strike and the lack of jobs. But hey, visit all you like, we seriously need the money :lol:

Quote:
My thoughts about moving to Canada I spose are political. I'm just not very happy with the direction the US is heading. It's almost as if the US has become England during Colonial times, the very thing we fought against back then. The US is losing more freedoms everyday. I believe we're number 40 or something on the freedom index, whereas Canada is 18ish.

Eh, those lists are commonly bullshit, in my opinion, plus, look up something called "CHRC" and you'll see that Canada's freedoms aren't exactly solid, Quebec's language laws are also proof of this. That being said, we have plenty of freedoms to go around.

Quote:
As of right now, it just seems like a nice place to live. I haven't really ever heard anything bad about Canada. If I do end up moving, I believe it would either be to Ontario or BC, and it wouldn't be for a few years...and I do have plans to visit both places in the mean time.

Well, if you want to move here, by all means do it. Just make sure you know what you're moving in to, and such. Windsor, Ontario is different from Toronto, Ontario, which is different from Thunder Bay, Ontario, so on and so forth. The best thing you can do is just plan ahead.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:19 am

wildrosegirl wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
dudenamedric wrote:
Hey, I currently live in America, but I've been seriously considering moving to Canada for a few years now. I've been researching Canada but I really wanna ask a few questions here so that I can get direct answers from Canadians, rather than read a glorified version of the case in a brochure.

What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is if the Canadian health care system is really free. If so, how exactly does it work? Are the wait times really as bad as everybody says? In America, we have pretty ridiculous wait times as well but we also have to pay out of pocket for it.

How is the education system compared to America? I'm asking not only for my children, but I, myself, am looking into transferring to a Canadian University. I hear that the educational system in Canada is far superior to America, and also that it's free, even college. Is this true?

I really hope you guys can help me out. I appreciate your time and your input.

Actually..

Not free for you, but if your minor children attend high school for 2 years, the YK offers a lot of free post secondary. :wink:

(Sorry Nova, true story :lol: )

:lol:

I still love ya anyway :P

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:09 am

Donny_Brasco wrote:
For health care - you just pay taxes and voila - free healthcare. Except if you lose your job or become useless like myself the rest of us pick up the tab. Works well, wait times are to be expected but if you get hit from behind in hockey and need an X-ray, CT Scan or MRI you get bumped to the front of the line. I waited 15 minutes for an MRI once but I arrived by ambulance and don't remember so that might be a rumour. They had to cut my shoulder pads off so I had to pay for new ones...the rink paid for the ambulance I don't know what that cost. Prolly $150 or $300 or something.

Education is paid by the government up to secondary but most of post-secondary is heavily subsidised. That is why universities like foreign students they have to foot the whole bill themselves.

Toques are subsidised too. :lol:

ROTFL R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:12 am

mtbr wrote:
Donny_Brasco wrote:
For health care - you just pay taxes and voila - free healthcare. Except if you lose your job or become useless like myself the rest of us pick up the tab. Works well, wait times are to be expected but if you get hit from behind in hockey and need an X-ray, CT Scan or MRI you get bumped to the front of the line. I waited 15 minutes for an MRI once but I arrived by ambulance and don't remember so that might be a rumour. They had to cut my shoulder pads off so I had to pay for new ones...the rink paid for the ambulance I don't know what that cost. Prolly $150 or $300 or something.

Education is paid by the government up to secondary but most of post-secondary is heavily subsidised. That is why universities like foreign students they have to foot the whole bill themselves.

Toques are subsidised too. :lol:

ROTFL R=UP

[stupid] ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 am

Lemmy wrote:
Can Yanks just move here? Canadians rarely get green cards. Why would we let Americans in here to live/work when they don't let us in to do the same in the USA?

They can't. They need a visa, like every one else.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:15 am

Why do you want to move to Canada?...if it is for free Healthcare, then please dont, but if it is to contribute to Canada and become Canadian then so be it. One other thing, dont come here and then complain about how things are done differently in the US or about our immigration laws...nothing gets me more than immigrants moving here and then complaining about Canada and how better things are done in their homeland.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 am

:oops: sorry

;-)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:19 am

Brenda wrote:
:oops: sorry

;-)

:lol: :lol: I actually was thinking of an American friend of mine that just moved here...well he is a dually, but hell I am ready to throw his ass out of Canada and shred his passport.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 13  Next