canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:20 am

TattoodGirl wrote:
Why do you want to move to Canada?...if it is for free Healthcare, then please dont, but if it is to contribute to Canada and become Canadian then so be it. One other thing, dont come here and then complain about how things are done differently in the US or about our immigration laws...nothing gets me more than immigrants moving here and then complaining about Canada and how better things are done in their homeland.

but it's not his fault that the US is better than Canada.

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:11 am

dudenamedric wrote:
Hey, I currently live in America, but I've been seriously considering moving to Canada for a few years now. I've been researching Canada but I really wanna ask a few questions here so that I can get direct answers from Canadians, rather than read a glorified version of the case in a brochure.

What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is if the Canadian health care system is really free. If so, how exactly does it work? Are the wait times really as bad as everybody says? In America, we have pretty ridiculous wait times as well but we also have to pay out of pocket for it.

How is the education system compared to America? I'm asking not only for my children, but I, myself, am looking into transferring to a Canadian University. I hear that the educational system in Canada is far superior to America, and also that it's free, even college. Is this true?

I really hope you guys can help me out. I appreciate your time and your input.

I think you would love it here, I know I do. Canada, just like any country has its ups and downs but there is only one way to discover them. If you find it's not for you, you can always move back, right? Best of luck with your decision! [B-o]

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:25 am

raydan wrote:
You guys that answered this desperate cry for help are all bad, very bad people.

That said, "We don't need any more friggin' Americans in Canada"!!! :wink:

To my mind better Americans than Jihadis

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:32 am

dudenamedric wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the info...but come on, don't give me shit for asking about this stuff. The whole reason I asked these questions was to gain a better understanding. I don't really trust what I read on websites because they're designed to sell the country to you. I wanted honest answers from common people who live there, which is exactly what I got. I just don't appreciate being made fun of for being off base.

Chill dude, they're just ribbing (joking with) you. It's their MO.
Personally glad your trying to get info from the source instead of relying on the stereotypes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 am

Choban wrote:
dudenamedric wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the info...but come on, don't give me shit for asking about this stuff. The whole reason I asked these questions was to gain a better understanding. I don't really trust what I read on websites because they're designed to sell the country to you. I wanted honest answers from common people who live there, which is exactly what I got. I just don't appreciate being made fun of for being off base.

Personally glad your trying to get info from the source instead of relying on the stereotypes.

He WAS warned that he needed a sense of humor to move to Canada. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 am

raydan wrote:
Choban wrote:
dudenamedric wrote:

He WAS warned that he needed a sense of humor to move to Canada. :)

you mean HUMOUR don't you? lol

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:48 am

Depends on where your from, Color-Colour is another one.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:56 am

My spell checker doesn't like 'OR'. :(

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:04 am

dudenamedric wrote:
Hey, I currently live in America, but I've been seriously considering moving to Canada for a few years now. I've been researching Canada but I really wanna ask a few questions here so that I can get direct answers from Canadians, rather than read a glorified version of the case in a brochure.

What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is if the Canadian health care system is really free. If so, how exactly does it work? Are the wait times really as bad as everybody says? In America, we have pretty ridiculous wait times as well but we also have to pay out of pocket for it.

How is the education system compared to America? I'm asking not only for my children, but I, myself, am looking into transferring to a Canadian University. I hear that the educational system in Canada is far superior to America, and also that it's free, even college. Is this true?

I really hope you guys can help me out. I appreciate your time and your input.

If you are looking for a comparison, it all depends on how you compare it. First of all health care isn't technically free. You can go to a hospital and not pay anything for most things but that benefit comes out of your higher than the United States Tax's. Generally most Canadians feel better about paying higher tax's because it allows them to have this safety net. If you perhaps lose your job or don't have much money or don't have health insurance. In the United States you would be fucked but in Canada everybody basicly takes care of each other. Anybody that slips financially is taken care of by our tax's. Which is why many Canadians are worried about other people who are not Canadian citizens taking advantage of our health care system. However not having that safety in America does has its advantages financially. Depending on if you are lucky enough to not get badly sick or otherwise you will be broke. Lower lax's = more money for necessities like a bigger home. Another car, etc.

For Education, we are at par with the United States education system or so most say however I believe majority of basic and some of the advanced schools are better than the United States and some American Universities and some Colleges are better than some Canadians. I think we do a lot better regarding our education system but all in all it comes down to the specific college or university and no they are not free. We pay the same ammount of money for school as the United States pays for theres. If you want free school you just got to work hard for a scholarship.

As for our hospital wait time, it all depends on the hospital. The doctor trade hasn't been popular as of lately in Canada and the United States has been trying to steal some of Canada's doctors by offering them higher saleries that they get in the United States for doctors which doesn't help. It's all about doctor/nurse shortages but all in all I have never had any problems myself. I am in there, wait for 6 minutes. See the doctor and just leave.

novachick wrote:
Agreed, if you don't have a sense of humor in Canada, you may end up voting for the NDP 8O

If you're bad with money, and can't run a household let alone a country. You may end up voting for a liberal or conservative.

Last edited by Bacardi4206 on Fri May 22, 2009 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:09 am

I love Canada, I just wish it had Provinces that are warm all year round. I'd be in Florida/Calif/Arizona/New Mexico/Texas if I could!

Can't we do an exchange with say Quebec for Florida or New Mexico? The Yanks would gain another language and a rich culture, we would have warm sun 365 24/7!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:25 am

Nothing is free. Here, the problem, is yes it is technically free if you don't work or you do not earn enough. That's a big problem because a lot of people use our "invitative" immigration programs to just profite from that.

But, nothing is free. People pay for those programs that some immigrants think are free and that's very frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 am

Lemmy wrote:
dudenamedric wrote:
I wanted honest answers from common people who live there, which is exactly what I got.

If you want "common people's" opinions you'll have to go elsewhere. Everyone here is EXCEPTIONAL! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

[B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:22 am

Choban wrote:
Depends on where your from, Color-Colour is another one.

Damn Yankees, always dropping the "u". If they had their way, we'd all be living in hoses.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 am

well. us canucks are hosers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:33 am

Bacardi4206 wrote:

novachick wrote:
Agreed, if you don't have a sense of humor in Canada, you may end up voting for the NDP 8O

If you're bad with money, and can't run a household let alone a country. You may end up voting for a liberal or conservative.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Good come back :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 13  Next