canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:53 am

Here Dude, this should explain immigration to Canada for you, first posted by mtbr

A Somalian arrives in Vancouver as a new immigrant to Canada . He
stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says ...
'Thank you Mr. Canadian for letting me in this country, giving me
housing, money for food, free medical care, free education and no
taxes!'

The passerby says, 'You are mistaken, I am Mexican.'

The man goes on and encounters another passerby. ' Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in Canada !'

The person says, 'I not Canadian, I Vietnamese.'

The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops,
shakes his hand and says, 'Thank you for the wonderful Canada !'

That person puts up his hand and says, 'I am from Middle East , I am
not Canadian !'

He finally sees a nice lady and asks, 'Are you a Canadian ?'

She says , 'No, I am from Africa !'

Puzzled, he asks her, 'Where are all the Canadians ?'

The African lady checks her watch and says ...'Probably at work'

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 pm

dudenamedric wrote:
Hey, I currently live in America, but I've been seriously considering moving to Canada for a few years now. I've been researching Canada but I really wanna ask a few questions here so that I can get direct answers from Canadians, rather than read a glorified version of the case in a brochure.

Welcome. [B-o]

dudenamedric wrote:
What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is if the Canadian health care system is really free. If so, how exactly does it work? Are the wait times really as bad as everybody says? In America, we have pretty ridiculous wait times as well but we also have to pay out of pocket for it.

No, its not free. All canadians support it through taxes. Collected annually. That's one of the reasons why the income tax bracket based on income is slightly lower in the U.S. than compared to Canada.

Wait times in hospitals will vary from city to city and province to province. I'v heard of good and bad stories regarding our medical system, its due for a little overhaul though in my opinion.

dudenamedric wrote:
How is the education system compared to America? I'm asking not only for my children, but I, myself, am looking into transferring to a Canadian University. I hear that the educational system in Canada is far superior to America, and also that it's free, even college. Is this true?

Canada has some great Universities that are on par with American, but for most people after community college education isn't free. Grants do get issued though and government loans are available too all as well. Unless your rich.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Choban wrote:
Here Dude, this should explain immigration to Canada for you, first posted by mtbr

taxes!'

The man goes on and encounters another passerby. ' Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in Canada !'

not Canadian !'

ROFL, I am saving that and forwarding that via e-mail to a few people.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:23 pm

Bacardi4206 wrote:
Choban wrote:

taxes!'

not Canadian !'

ROFL, I am saving that and forwarding that via e-mail to a few people.

lol that is pretty funny.

But I doubt immigrants come to Canada to sit home.

dudenamedric if you're coming strictly for political reasons you may be dissapointed, Canada is not nessessarily "freer" than America, they're about level terms, but we don't make a huge deal out of things some vocal libertarians in the USA do.

I don't think Windsor is the best way to see Canada, take a tour of Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton (well...maybe Edmonton), and of course country Canada to get a better representation of our country. You'll also be surprised to see the offices in the financial districts of many of these cities full of people you may not 'percieve' as Canadians. Usually darker and yellower than they are represented in American media.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 am

CommanderSock wrote:

dudenamedric if you're coming strictly for political reasons you may be dissapointed, Canada is not nessessarily "freer" than America, they're about level terms, but we don't make a huge deal out of things some vocal libertarians in the USA do.

I don't think Windsor is the best way to see Canada, take a tour of Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton (well...maybe Edmonton), and of course country Canada to get a better representation of our country. You'll also be surprised to see the offices in the financial districts of many of these cities full of people you may not 'percieve' as Canadians. Usually darker and yellower than they are represented in American media.

No Windsor isn't really that Canadian...to me it seems more like an American tourist city that just happens to be in Canada. We always drive through there and if you looking for "differences" there aren't any. You have to go about an hour away to a very small town and immerse yourself there to really start to "experience Canada". Because that is one thing I learned, the only way to experience a different area in the world and see differences is to get out of the city and into the small towns.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:28 am

any place in particular you'd recommend checking out?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:35 am

Choban wrote:

taxes!'

not Canadian !'

hahahahah that's so good ROTFL

Sad but true

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:06 am

dudenamedric wrote:

Really its up to you. If you want to go there for recreation check out some places for hiking, skiing, ect. If you want to see the cities, Toronto is probaly the closest to you. And really, if you are going to just check Canada you are better off picking a destination and then looking at stuff on the way. For some reason I really like London, ON and the drive from Windsor on HWY 401 in the winter is really nice. Its not mountains or anything really scenic, but for some reason I like it.

I really cant wait to drive through the mountain in Alberta/B.C ...that looks amazing!

Last edited by coaster_dot on Sat May 23, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:08 am

Proculation wrote:
Choban wrote:

taxes!'

not Canadian !'

hahahahah that's so good ROTFL

Sad but true

That joke could work in America as well...just switch all the immigrants with Americans walking around and "all the Canadians are working" with "all the Mexicans are taking our jobs".

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:19 am

Quote:

Sault Ste Marie, Thunder Bay and Sudbury for a taste of the small town.

Toronto is a must see. Montreal is a must see.

Vancouver is perhaps one of the most beautiful cities in the world with some of the hottest water-front real estate.

Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon are your typical mid-western style cities so I would recommend Toronto and Montreal first and foremost, and perhaps if you want to get adventurous Vancouver.

Now I shall proceed to jump out of the hypothetical thread window before I am lynched by an angry mob of Calgarians and Edmontonians.

ps, how could I forget, Quebec city, one of the most architecturally astute cities on the continent.

Last edited by CommanderSock on Sat May 23, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:20 am

Choban wrote:

taxes!'

not Canadian !'

Does anyone actually have some statistics that show that immigrants don't work, but take free money and let native born Canadians of European stock do all the labour? I would like to see that, instead of stupid anecdotes that start with "lets cut off immigration because they don't fit in...." When I am not riding my bike I often take the bus, to work in the morning. I would say that 90% of the other bus riders are immigrants, and it appears they are all going to work, at the bacon plant, or some other low level job.(Of course, it could be that they are just riding into the north industrial part of the city to hang around, looking for a handout) None are surly and all will speak to you in a civil way, if you speak to them. My doctor is an immigrant! And a Muslim!
I say to the American dude who is talking about immigrating, come on. Look for a job and find a place to live. You will enjoy it!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Carolina Hurricans
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:53 am

Face it, it would take a year to purge the Americanized version of Canada from his mind. :lol:

Dude, it depends on which provence you are wanting to move to as to what you are going to find as far as healthcare, etc. My wife is from Saskatchewan and I have been going there for visits to her family for 13 years now. I, too, plan on moving the family up there as soon as I can do so financially.

The healthcare is on par with the US and the primary issue is lack of doctors. This is not really a problem with the healthcare system of Canada, but a problem with the unregulated US system.

Every time I go up for a visit, I want to come back less and less. The cost of living in Sask used to be high compared to South Carolina, which is one of the cheaper states to live in. Now, however, things are fairly close.

Yes, some taxes are higher, but some are less. For example, in SC we pay property taxes on anything that has a motor and moves as well as having insurance on it. In Sask, the insurance is higher but there is no property taxes.

As far as healthcare, if you are willing to accept the minimum level of services (non-private rooms, etc) you will pay next to nothing or nothing at all. If you want extra services like private rooms, etc. you have to take out a supplemental policy (which is still dirt cheap compared to healthcare plans in the US).

My out-of-pocket expenses for all four of my kids being born probably is close to $12k. Had we been able to have had residency status and qualified for the healthcare system in Sask, the same four births would have cost $0. My nephew had to have surgery on his eye a while back. Cost $0. Yes, you are going to pay higher taxes on alcohol and tobacco, but there are no taxes on food staples. Gas is higher, property taxes lower.

I've done the math, and the cost of living there versus here is fairly close.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Well travior, the cost is not zero. Like I said in a earlier post, it is zero only if you do not work. I live in Quebec and the cost of the healthcare is about 53% of all the province revenue. That means that if I pay 15 000$ in taxes from a 35 000$ salary, about 7 500$ goes for healthcare. I'm pretty sure that for 7 500$, I could have a quite good private insurance, something that is forbidden to have here in Canada.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Carolina Hurricans
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:03 pm

My portion of our health plan is about $2400 per year, not counting what my employer pays. My total out-of-pocket limit is $5000 plus $200 deductable per person per year not counting prescriptions with one co-pay alone costing me $95 for a 3-month supply. And if I don't get the mail-order 3-month supply, the same meds at my locak pharmacy will have a monthly co-pay of $60! I had twins born this year and the out-of-pocket amount is huge. Not to mention having to make sure that not only the hospital is part of the insurance plan but also the individual doctors in said hospital. When my first child was born, we delivered in a hopital that was part of the plan but the NICU doctors were not part of the plan which cost me $1600 more than I was expecting.

Like I said, if you add total costs (taxes, insurance, etc.) in Canada and the US, there is little difference in percentage of pay brought home available for use as you see fit. Once the total effect of Obama's hand-out to big business is added into the tax stream, it is only going to get worse here.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:13 pm

The problem here (Quebec, I don't know for the other provinces) is that most of the people do not pay taxes (about 42%). So the 58% left pays for all. And in that, there are a lot of people between 20 and 40K$ who do not pay that much. So only a small percentage pays for all the healthcare. They say it's fair. I say it's stealing. After they wonder why all the rich go elsewhere.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 ... 13  Next