CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:53 am

When I was at the gym the other day, I was watching Oprah (shut up, its what was on). They had this awesome show and it was all about what other countries think about the US. They worked with CNN and had people go to different countries all over the world to find out what people thought about the USA. Like, they talked to significant people as well as just average people on the street. Overall, it was kind of a negative feeling. They didn't necessarily dislike americans but they disliked their government, Bush, foreign policy, etc. Which really should be representative of the people of that country. They were acting all shocked, like OMG people don't like us. Even Oprah seemed a little close minded about it.

They brought up how after 9/11 there were people all over the world who were mourning all the people that had died and there were memorials, etc everywhere. But when something happens outside the US, americans dont pay much attention. Cos really they dont give a shit. I think that the behavior of the government has really curbed how americans feel about the rest of the world. I know that ALL americans are not ignorant, but I would say that a majority is, I would say the average american is.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:53 pm

I just watched a show on CBC this weekend about this very subject. A very famous Canadian economist was talking about Iraq, and the 'real" motives, and talked about the past US history of the area. They also talked about the Hydrogen revolution, which was kewl. Ballard is coming out with Home fuel Cell Stations. So you can make your own power, and then sell the extra back to the grid. BCHrydo, does not have a plan for this yet... But states like California do. Also California governor passed a law that all cars sold there have to be hydrogen based by 2008. The Car CompanyÂ’s are suing, but also rushing to get card ready, they can't afford to lose the single largest car market in North America. I think other places should follow suit. Cuz this ties right back in with the Oil-Centric mind of the American government. The European Union, is strangely pushing to a clean hydrogen system, while the US is following behind, and yes Canada isn't much better. The US continues too look for more Oil sources, and to meddle in the Middle East. This Guy predicted, if the US/Canada did not shift gears that the US would no longer be the Words super power. But I doubt this will happed. American business will not let this happen; they will kick the politicians in the ass, or overpower them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:19 pm

I was involved in a argument with a bunch of American's over this same topic a few weeks ago. Well, myself, some Aussie's and a few European's. They were shocked that other western and civilized nations didn't like them. They then pulled out the "without us, you would be blah blah blah (i.e. WWII, didn't you know they single handedly won it :roll: ).

It was over stupidness really. Not everyone agrees with other countries foreign policies, or in Dubya's place, lack of foreign policies (if you can't bomb it, forget it).

I also spoke with a younger American couple when I was in Mexico 2 weeks ago, and they were shocked that we weren't all for going after Saddam. They also had some misconceptions about the U.S. in general (largest country in north America :roll: ,and also the WWII bit again). The guy was actually the most open minded of the 2, but he was from Cali and she was from Georgia which may explain things.

Individually, I feel 99.9999% of Americans are cool. However, you get a gathering of them and watch out. I have family that is American, and all so my feelings are more individually based. Some are morons, some are amazing people.

However, I find the most vocal are the biggest morons. This casts a bad light on the rest of the nation, as other people who don't get to meet the cool people get a bad taste in their mouths.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:34 pm

HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE WINNERS

the americans gained the most, finacially, so they teach each succeding generation, that they were the winners, that they fought all the crucial battles, and that their loss was greater than the rest of the world.

this is sad really, almost sounds like the romans, and we all know what happened to them and the rest of the world when Rome fell.

I hope we as CANADIANS do not fall into the trap that they have set for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:05 pm

And just what trap is that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:36 pm

the trap i am speaking of is the trap of POWER
the u.s.a. already believes it can rule the world by imposing economic sanctions, threatening military action, or by bullying smaller nations into following it.
that is the way Rome operated and, personally, that's the way i see the united states operating today

Rome stood for a thousand years but died after the first five hundred, with the technology today i think that acceleration is only speeding up.
i'm sorry to say that the u.s.a will eventually fall, but i hope it doesn't take the world with it, like Rome did

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:43 pm

The US isn't going to last forever, no of course not. But neither is Canada, neither is China, and neither are the European countries.

Let me tell you something, NOBODY in the US ever planned on becoming a super power. It's just that last century canged alot of things. And you know when Rome fell europe fell into the dark ages. Well that wasn't first nor was it the last time that civilization went into decline with the destruction of an empire.

I think that is should be pretty obvious to people now that the British Empire NEVER should have been dismanteled. Look what happened to the world when Britain dismanteled it's empire. We have India and Pakistan on the brink of nuclear war. We have palestinians blowing up Israelis and vice versa. And now with no Great Britain to take control of matters who is there to do it? If you have a better stratigy of maintaining stablility? Would you like another country to take charge? Well which one should it be?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:20 pm

theNotSoUglyAmerican theNotSoUglyAmerican:
The US isn't going to last forever, no of course not. But neither is Canada, neither is China, and neither are the European countries.

Let me tell you something, NOBODY in the US ever planned on becoming a super power. It's just that last century canged alot of things. And you know when Rome fell europe fell into the dark ages. Well that wasn't first nor was it the last time that civilization went into decline with the destruction of an empire.

I think that is should be pretty obvious to people now that the British Empire NEVER should have been dismanteled. Look what happened to the world when Britain dismanteled it's empire. We have India and Pakistan on the brink of nuclear war. We have palestinians blowing up Israelis and vice versa. And now with no Great Britain to take control of matters who is there to do it? If you have a better stratigy of maintaining stablility? Would you like another country to take charge? Well which one should it be?

Very good, and valid point there buddy.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:29 pm

IF U THINK THAT NOBODY EVER PLANNED ON THE U.S. BECOMING A SUPERPOWER U ARE DELUDED MY FRIEND
look at the history of the last century closely
from the founding of the cia to the development of the hydrogen bomb, from all of the government they have manipulated to all of the ones they hav outright overthrown, the policy makers in the u.s.a. have had ONE goal in mind.
spread THEIR beliefs around the world and declare our system is the greatest because we have a democratically elected government
personally i feel that the world became a greater place when the british empire fell, sure problems are happening because of it but i think that these problems are merely GROWING PAINS that humanity is going through.
think about this maybe we brought all of these problems on ourselves by not holding the government responsible
i don't think that ANY one country should TAKE CHARGE, but that we should come together as the human race to solve our problems with each other

and barring that lets send only the leaders into a ring to fight it out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:45 pm

eh2brute, you obviously don't know as much united states history as highlander. we never planned on becoming a superpower. after WWI, this country buried its head in the sand. it was only at the urging of european countries that the US joined the fray. while i will not say that the united states singlehandedly won the war (i would submit that hitler lost it himself by creating an unneccessary two-front war) but the allies were on the verge of losing before the US entered. i want to say this, also. i am not anti-canadian. although i do not agree with your universal health care policy nor your passive foreign policy, i think you have a beautiful country. what i really do not understand is why canada seeks to separate itself so badly from the united states. please, help me understand.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:32 pm

markc, the problem may lie in the fact that while Americans are proud to be American, and Canadians are proud to be Canadian, ins oem cases Canadians just as much if not more about the U.S., then many Americans do.

Case in point, the National Geographical Society did a survey recently of 9 countries, including the U.S. and Canada. Of those tested more Canadians knew the population of the U.S. then Americans did In fact of the 9 countries tested, the U.S. scored the worst on that question. And with all the news and talk on the war on terrorism, only 58% of the Americans tested knew in which country the Taliban and Al-Queda are based. Once again, of the 9 countries, Ameriacsn scored the lowest. What does that say to you? What should I feel or think knowing that?

If you want to see for yourself, you can take part of the quiz at:
http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:30 pm

i guess io should have been more specific on dates i should have said from 1941 on

personally i feel that we try to separate our two countries so hard because as a society we are so similar( what we eat, drink, how we shop and so on)
and so we LOUDLY proclaim to be different, no matter how small the difference

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:25 pm

eh2brute eh2brute:

personally i feel that we try to separate our two countries so hard because as a society we are so similar( what we eat, drink, how we shop and so on)
and so we LOUDLY proclaim to be different, no matter how small the difference

well said

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:13 pm

The ending of the British Empire as we know it was one of the best things that happened in our world. India and Pakistan are not at each others thoats because the Britsh Empire broke apart. They have a dispute with a region, one can blame Britain on its borders, but if you think firstly Britain could have held its Empire you are foolish let alone prevent India and Pakistan from being at each others throats. All these empires such as the French , Dutch and others disappeared because nations want SELF DETERMINATION. The current Empire the USA had better learn this, or it will suffer much travesty towards it. People do not enjoy foreign powers telling them what to do and exploiting them. The USA itself was founded on this principle. Today the current gang of thugs and cronies in Washington today are missing this point.

The USA planned to be a power, the current govt. has an agenda of PAX AMERICANA, this is very dangerous, not only to the world but to the USA. It as a nation has the abilty to do the right things, even if they cost the USA in terms, but if it acts like a thug and an empire the events of Sept.11 will repeat themselves over and over, until Americans dismantle this empire ideology. Even the British Empire was more dismantled by Brits, than by foreign nations. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:55 pm

A) America truly didnt plan on becoming a superpower. The USA stepping into WWII and the result of WWII thrusted us into the position. Prior to this, we were basically in isolationism and damn us for not being in isolationism still to this day.

B) If nothing dramatic happens in the next 20 years, I believe America will be very different by approximately 2025, with the current influx of mexicans into the country. Whether it be for the best or worst, it will definetly change the country forever. At the same time, I could never leave a country that has the great god-given land of SO-cali! Surfing, skating, great computer jobs, and great weather :P (minus the smog of LA)