CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33812
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 am
 


jj2424 wrote:
As usual the CKA left wing nut bags of nuts like Dr C and BF blame Harper. :P


So who is it that keep sending records of attempted suicides, mental illness, non-criminal convictions and other presumably private information to the US intelligence and security services? Santa Clause?

And you calling me a 'nut bag' is rich. lol


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20879
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 am
 


It's their country and they can let in whoever they want, but we never should have released private information (like people's health records) to the Americans.

Potvin is partially correct that both governments screwed him over, but this is a perfect example of youthful indiscretions coming back to haunt somebody. You don't have to be lily white as a young person, but anyone carrying around hash oil (however crappy it may have been) should think it might have long term consequences.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63827
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 am
 


saturn_656 wrote:
Keep in mind that unless you are an American citizen, you have no right to enter their country. They can keep us out for whatever BS reason they cook up and we can do same.


Then why are Mexicans and all sorts of other Latin Americans being let in and anyone who questions it is being called "racist"?

It's absurd that Canadians are being kept out for trivial reasons while God-knows-who can cross our southern border with impunity.

Thanks, Obama.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33691
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
For Martin and Wildrose:

If you read the article, you would notice this line:

Quote:
Now Potvin has a U.S. document that says he’s been denied entry into the U.S because he has a criminal record and a Canadian document telling him he doesn’t need a pardon because he has no criminal record



So someone fucked up, and now he will need someone in State to figure it out.

Whoops, maybe not.. he got a conviction.


Last edited by martin14 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:43 am
 


bootlegga wrote:
It's their country and they can let in whoever they want, but we never should have released private information (like people's health records) to the Americans.

Potvin is partially correct that both governments screwed him over, but this is a perfect example of youthful indiscretions coming back to haunt somebody. You don't have to be lily white as a young person, but anyone carrying around hash oil (however crappy it may have been) should think it might have long term consequences.


Exactly why it should be legal. What's so bad about carrying hash oil around vs a 2-4? If he was given a criminal record, this guy would never have achieved the level of career he did, instead remaining in marginal jobs, maybe on welfare or often on EI. How is that a benefit to society?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20879
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 am
 


andyt wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
It's their country and they can let in whoever they want, but we never should have released private information (like people's health records) to the Americans.

Potvin is partially correct that both governments screwed him over, but this is a perfect example of youthful indiscretions coming back to haunt somebody. You don't have to be lily white as a young person, but anyone carrying around hash oil (however crappy it may have been) should think it might have long term consequences.


Exactly why it should be legal. What's so bad about carrying hash oil around vs a 2-4? If he was given a criminal record, this guy would never have achieved the level of career he did, instead remaining in marginal jobs, maybe on welfare or often on EI. How is that a benefit to society?


I agree that MJ should be legalized (and taxed), but until it is, hash oil is still considered illegal to carry around, while a 2-4 of beer isn't.

I feel for the guy, but the fact is he was carrying the hash oil, not one of his friends.

If you want to carry around illegal items (be they firearms, drugs, stun guns or whatever), you should expect that their maybe be consequences of those actions.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33812
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 am
 


bootlegga wrote:
andyt wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
It's their country and they can let in whoever they want, but we never should have released private information (like people's health records) to the Americans.

Potvin is partially correct that both governments screwed him over, but this is a perfect example of youthful indiscretions coming back to haunt somebody. You don't have to be lily white as a young person, but anyone carrying around hash oil (however crappy it may have been) should think it might have long term consequences.


Exactly why it should be legal. What's so bad about carrying hash oil around vs a 2-4? If he was given a criminal record, this guy would never have achieved the level of career he did, instead remaining in marginal jobs, maybe on welfare or often on EI. How is that a benefit to society?


I agree that MJ should be legalized (and taxed), but until it is, hash oil is still considered illegal to carry around, while a 2-4 of beer isn't.

I feel for the guy, but the fact is he was carrying the hash oil, not one of his friends.

If you want to carry around illegal items (be they firearms, drugs, stun guns or whatever), you should expect that their maybe be consequences of those actions.


I agree with you there, but I also think that youthful indiscretions should not have permanent repercussions. That was the purpose of the Pardon system.

And we should all be outraged that our government shares such personal details about citizens - and not just with the US, but presumably with all of the 'Five I's'.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33691
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:

And we should all be outraged that our government shares such personal details about citizens - and not just with the US, but presumably with all of the 'Five I's'.



You think anyone has a choice ? :roll:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20879
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:58 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
I agree that MJ should be legalized (and taxed), but until it is, hash oil is still considered illegal to carry around, while a 2-4 of beer isn't.

I feel for the guy, but the fact is he was carrying the hash oil, not one of his friends.

If you want to carry around illegal items (be they firearms, drugs, stun guns or whatever), you should expect that their maybe be consequences of those actions.


I agree with you there, but I also think that youthful indiscretions should not have permanent repercussions. That was the purpose of the Pardon system.

And we should all be outraged that our government shares such personal details about citizens - and not just with the US, but presumably with all of the 'Five I's'.


In theory, I would agree with you, but the problem lies with defining "youthful indiscretions." What might be relatively minor for you may not be for the next person.

And yes, I agree that the pardon system should still be in place, as it had its place.

As I said, there are three guilty parties (both governments and Potvin himself) in this instance. Harper shouldn't have released the info or abolished the pardon system.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7684
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:59 am
 


Try being an American and getting into Canada with a DUI on your record, CBSA won't let you in. Impaired driving is a big deal here.

Canadians with an impaired charge however can usually enter the US no problem. It's a minor offence there.

The Americans consider drug offences to be a big deal. So he doesn't qualify for entry.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 50931
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 am
 


One of the locals here was not allowed to cross the border, because she was going to visit her boyfriend (like she had in the past 2 years every other weekend without a problem) and fly to Miami to go on a cruise with him.
The border officials thought she was going to stay illegally and did not let her in.
She has a job here and a daughter that she left in the care of her mother when she was going ON VACATION. (tickets booked, brought and shown).
She did everything right. He now comes here every weekend instead of them taking turns because she can't go to the US.
It is ridiculous.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33812
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:17 am
 


martin14 wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

And we should all be outraged that our government shares such personal details about citizens - and not just with the US, but presumably with all of the 'Five I's'.



You think anyone has a choice ? :roll:


The 'government' is elected to represent the interests of the majority of Canadians and do the job that we want them to do. They have exactly the amount of power, accountability and responsibility that we give them.

Yes, people have a choice. They just don't have any motivation to change things because they think that they don't have a choice.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:28 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:

Yes, people have a choice. They just don't have any motivation to change things because they think that they don't have a choice it doesn't affect them.


This is also true. Until it does.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13958
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am
 


Brenda wrote:
One of the locals here was not allowed to cross the border, because she was going to visit her boyfriend (like she had in the past 2 years every other weekend without a problem) and fly to Miami to go on a cruise with him.
The border officials thought she was going to stay illegally and did not let her in.
She has a job here and a daughter that she left in the care of her mother when she was going ON VACATION. (tickets booked, brought and shown).
She did everything right. He now comes here every weekend instead of them taking turns because she can't go to the US.
It is ridiculous.

The same thing happens coming up here too. Telling the border guards on either side that you're going to visit your b/f or g/f is generally a good enough reason for them to deny entry. Yes it's stupid, but it ain't just the American side that does that.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33691
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:37 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
martin14 wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

And we should all be outraged that our government shares such personal details about citizens - and not just with the US, but presumably with all of the 'Five I's'.



You think anyone has a choice ? :roll:


The 'government' is elected to represent the interests of the majority of Canadians and do the job that we want them to do. They have exactly the amount of power, accountability and responsibility that we give them.

Yes, people have a choice. They just don't have any motivation to change things because they think that they don't have a choice.



Sorry, everyone understands what will happen to Canada if we don't play ball with the
US.

Even the Swiss had to knuckle under to the bullshit.

Sucks, but that's life with the Yanks.
They don't always play fair.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.