bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

$1:
The president and the first lady are headed overseas to visit the queen of England in the spring. But the Obamas will be leaving their wedding attire in Washingon: This trip is not about Prince William and Kate Middleton.

"This trip will be President Obama's first European state visit," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters on Thursday. "He is obviously honored by the invitation."

The Obamas will stay at Buckingham Palace during the two-day visit, set for May 24-26.

It will not be the first meeting between the Obamas and the royals. In April 2009, the president and first lady visited Buckingham Palace and gave her majesty an engraved iPod.

But with much excitement swirling around the other main event in London this spring -- the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton -- the real question is whether the first couple also would attend their nuptials, if invited.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/Roy ... d=12943477

What US-Canada issues do you think they should discuss, if they discuss any at all?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:39 pm

[huh]

Why would they discuss Canadian issues??????????

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
[huh]

She's the Queen of Canada. Considering the close relations between the US and Canada, I'd hope the topic would come up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:50 pm

DanSC DanSC:
[huh]

She's the Queen of Canada. Considering the close relations between the US and Canada, I'd hope the topic would come up.

I seriously doubt it will, being that Canada is a soveign nation and all.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 pm

DanSC DanSC:
[huh]

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCommo ... anada.aspx

Considering she is Canada's Queen, I'd hope she'd use some of the visit to lobby for Canada.

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm

$1:
Considering she is Canada's Queen, I'd hope she'd use some of the visit to lobby for Canada.

That would be inappropriate under the circumstances of her hosting them on a State visit to England. She would be representing Britain, not Canada. During a State visit to Buckingham Palace it's not her place to lobby for anything for Canada nor for any of the other 15 sovereign countries that she's the monarch of, only for Britain. The Queen doesn't do any lobbying anyway, that is left up to the heads of state of the governments of the individual sovereign countries that she is monarch of.

Further to this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 18430.html

$1:
Barack and Michelle Obama will pay a state visit to Britain between 24 and 26 May, in a trip designed to underscore US ties with Britain, and lay to rest more general doubts about the importance Washington accords to its European allies.

Details of the programme have not been released, but the Obamas will be the Queen's guests at Buckingham Palace. The President will hold talks with David Cameron and, if precedent is any guide, may also deliver an address to Parliament.

The invitation to Mr Obama, formally announced by the Palace in July 2010, was passed on by Mr Cameron during his first prime ministerial visit to Washington that month. Downing Street said Mr Cameron was delighted by the visit, calling it a sign of the "strong and enduring relationship between our two countries".......

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 pm

DanSC DanSC:
DanSC DanSC:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCommo ... anada.aspx

8O

Doubtful.

If anything, they can discuss where to put the bust of Churchill that
Obama tossed out the window when he walked into the White House.

Then why the UK is sooo bad for oppressing his hometown family and all.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:08 am

I agree sending back the bust wasn't classy. At least put it in the Smithsonian.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:46 am

I was gonna say.... What would they talk about....

Its not like she does much work in regards to politics... She's a figurehead now. Nothing more.

Still it wouldn't be a bad thing to be a fly on the wall for that one....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:51 am

They could talk about Kenya and how Britain used to own it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm

And here I was gonna make a Fuzzy Zoeller, Tiger Woods comment when I first saw the question Dan posted. :lol:

I guess I've become more politically correct than I thought somewhere along the line. [angel]

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:33 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
They could talk about Kenya and how Britain used to own it.

Love it :D