CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

How would you describe your view of the United States?
Absolutely Positive  11%  [ 6 ]
Positive  54%  [ 29 ]
Neutral  13%  [ 7 ]
Negative  9%  [ 5 ]
Absolutely Negative  7%  [ 4 ]
Passive/Apathetic  4%  [ 2 ]
Other  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 54

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:42 pm

Centrist would still mean the same, just that it has fewer negative connotations than apathetic

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Overall, I feel negative about the United States. Sure, there are many great things about it and it's a beautiful country with a proud history but I just feel rather engative about them as a whole, but I blame it's excesses and politicians more than I blame the citizens themselves.

We're great friends and always will be, but until America "changes its ways" so to speak, I'll have a negative view about it. At least with regards to how it's run.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Ok...here is my opinion of the U.S. of A.....I just spent a week in Boston with the most pleasant, helpful, and hard core partiers of my life!!!! It was possibly one of the best times eva!!!!

The folks hooked me up with Charlie cards (subway cards) that still had money on them, steered me in the right direction of what I wanted (Southie shite)....and congratulated us as Canadians on our gold medal take and on the game!!!

It was fucking amazing, if it wasnt so expensive to live in Boston I would move there, it is possibly the cleanist, best tasting water, the friendliest folk, and best beer in the world!!!! I love that city.

Ok....I have also lived in Miami. Great town, great people but imigration didnt like me so no comment.

but overall....I love the US, never treated me wrong, the folks are always super awesome and I always have a great time. but having said that I am a very happy person and find fun wherever I go :)

Oh ya...heading out to Portland in 3 hours for a show!!!!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:59 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
Ok...here is my opinion of the U.S. of A.....I just spent a week in Boston with the most pleasant, helpful, and hard core partiers of my life!!!! It was possibly one of the best times eva!!!!

The folks hooked me up with Charlie cards (subway cards) that still had money on them, steered me in the right direction of what I wanted (Southie shite)....and congratulated us as Canadians on our gold medal take and on the game!!!

It was fucking amazing, if it wasnt so expensive to live in Boston I would move there, it is possibly the cleanist, best tasting water, the friendliest folk, and best beer in the world!!!! I love that city.

Ok....I have also lived in Miami. Great town, great people but imigration didnt like me so no comment.

but overall....I love the US, never treated me wrong, the folks are always super awesome and I always have a great time. but having said that I am a very happy person and find fun wherever I go :)

I've always experienced the same treatment in the US. Something else that really stood out for me was my travels in Italy. Met lot's of Americans and when I said I was Canadian they got so excited, treated me/us like meeting a fellow American I'm sure. Go overseas and meet an American traveling, we all feel like lost relatives meeting up. So cool.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:28 pm

JustKate JustKate:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:

I've always experienced the same treatment in the US. Something else that really stood out for me was my travels in Italy. Met lot's of Americans and when I said I was Canadian they got so excited, treated me/us like meeting a fellow American I'm sure. Go overseas and meet an American traveling, we all feel like lost relatives meeting up. So cool.

In the last trip, I had the greatist Hockey convos with folks. They said they couldnt have lost to any other team and were so happy to lose to us. They sang our National Anthem in 3 bars I walked into...and did it right. It was awesome!!!!

I met some firefighters from Boston, Indiana and New York...and just mentioned that my fiance was a firefighter and it was 'you are our sister and he is our brother, we take care of one another'...did they eva!!!! and they phoned him while he was on duty at his hall in Van, to wish a happy St. Paddys and to assure I made it back ok. that is good folk!!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:13 am

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
JustKate JustKate:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:

In the last trip, I had the greatist Hockey convos with folks. They said they couldnt have lost to any other team and were so happy to lose to us. They sang our National Anthem in 3 bars I walked into...and did it right. It was awesome!!!!

I met some firefighters from Boston, Indiana and New York...and just mentioned that my fiance was a firefighter and it was 'you are our sister and he is our brother, we take care of one another'...did they eva!!!! and they phoned him while he was on duty at his hall in Van, to wish a happy St. Paddys and to assure I made it back ok. that is good folk!!

Another story:
One time we were in Mexico and had an American couple next door to our room (had desks outside side by side). We saw each other every night and talked until our last few nights we partied together. We got to know them pretty good and one night at the end we heard crying next door, I went and knocked on the door and saw the wife (a nurse) crying. Her and her hubby were blocks away coming home walking and her hubby went for a leak in some bush and cops jumped out and arrested him for pieing, $600.00 USD.

Hubby and I helped pay to get him out of jail. We are all friends today and will never go back to Mexico.

That was Cancun BTW.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:22 am

Neutral to negative as to their country as a whole

$1:
1. What is your opinion of the United States, it's Government (Current or Past), it's Culture, and/or it's People?

It is a highly polarized country. And that polarization has harmed them and will continue to harm on the future. It's government system while good in theory often falls victim to that same polarization. It's people on first meeting them seem as reasonable as anyone else, however once you delve into key issues the radical differences that they have with themselves become quite clear

$1:
Also, how do you feel the United States effects Canada? Was Trudeau correct by saying that we feel every twitch of the gentle beast?

Les now than 30 years ago

$1:
What do you feel will come of the United States, and in what ways do you believe they effect the world?

Eventually the US will decline to the point where they are hamstrung by thier own internal contradictions within our lifetimes
$1:
What do you believe will come of Canada-U.S. relations? Will we always be allies? To the very end?

They likely will always be cordial but the social and governmental differences will lead us along different paths. Ultimately i believe that Canada will grow stronger while the US weakens

$1:
What do you feel of Canadian decisions towards or relating to the United States? Do you feel we effect them?

We have little effect on the US in terms of ideas, however our ability to economically better manage our country will likely mean that the US will come to rely on us as opposed to now

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:31 am

HyperionTheEvil, do you believe that American control over the Canadian process has weakened in the past 30 years? Or do you believe Canada is resisting American influence itself?

I believe a lot of things will be happening within our lifetime. A lot of massive changes.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:45 am

Find this to be one of the more balanced views of our USA. Reading this made me consider the many folks we know and interact with on a semi-regular basis, form other lands.
Starting with the far east China, Vietnam and Japan.
Moving on to the Islands of Malta and Iceland.
Then Germany, Holland, Denmark Ireland and England.
Then back across the waters to Canada and USA.
These people we know are professional, semi-professional, tradesman/women and farmers.
Educations vary from Phd's to little or none.
Strange thing.
These hard working and honest people are all about the same.
Exchange the fellas from Japan with the ones from Alabama.
A decided accent difference. But, thats all.
Since both the USA and Canada are made up from a very mixed bag. How are we as people that different? Government? Maybe?
Listen to a Canadian or A fella from USA talk about government. If you don't know which country you are in, it all sounds the same.

This is just this citizens view from the USA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=XaI5IRuS2aE

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
A perfect example is a comparison of game shows in the two countries (although I'm not sure there are any Canadian game shows left these ays). Ours give away vaccuum cleaners, while yours give away $1 million dollars, or new cars, or fancy trips.

"Today on Grocery Grab, our contestants will be competing for dozens of dollars"
Yep, that's Canadian game shows all right :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
"Today on Grocery Grab, our contestants will be competing for dozens of dollars"
Yep, that's Canadian game shows all right :lol:

No offense, but our game shows can have audiences that regularly exceed Canada's entire population and, thus, they can afford a bigger budget as they reap tons more income.

On the other side of our market is your Mike Holmes, from "Holmes on Homes".

His Canadian program in reruns is making more money in the USA than it ever did in Canada.

There's no reason why Canadians can't produce game shows for the US market and make scads of money, too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Actually, my original opinion of Americans was NOT good. But living in a city where a bunch of people from Detroit and the state of Ohio tended to come to rather frequently, it's no surprise. I considering them to be uneducated, self centered morons. Like, when a car full would stop me on the streets of Windsor and ask me if there was a bingo in Montreal that night :roll: That would be like me asking someone from Detroit if there was anything fun to do in Albany, NY.
The funny thing is, the proximity to that part of the US helped to create my prejudices. As I got older and actually travelled IN the US and met people and made many friends, I came to realize that my opinion of Americans was highly inaccurate.
While I was staying in MN for a few months, I made many friends. Even had one couple tell me that if I wanted to stay, they knew people that could provide the paperwork and hurry it along. Believe me, I was tempted.
I dunno how Texans feel about us these days, but the last time I went there they wouldn't let me pay for my own drinks once they found out I was from Canada.
Hell, even New Jersey surprised me :lol: While NJ may provide a few good jokes for the rest of America, I found the people there to be warm and friendly too. One time, I blew a tire on the NJ turnpike and it took less than 5 minutes for someone to stop and ask if I needed a hand.

One thing I did find that was really fucked up when I was in MN. I thought I'd do the good neighbour thing and donate some blood since the US had soldiers fighting on two fronts. They asked me for my SSN. I told 'em I didn't have one cuz I was Canadian and simply wanted to donate. (I didn't know you got PAID for giving blood in the US). I told 'em keep the money, I was donating it for free like we do in Canada. I was told that unless I had a SSN, they weren't gonna take my blood. :|

Yeah, the US isn't perfect and neither are Americans( we ain't either so..), but as Martin mentioned, we could do a FUCK of a lot WORSE for neighbours. I can only think of fewer than a half dozen countries I'd prefer being neighbours with, but those are for specific reasons only. When the big picture is looked at, the US is still the best neighbour we could have.

Last edited by PublicAnimalNo9 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

That's weird about the donating blood thing. I donate blood and am almost at 4 gallons and have never taken anything but a juice box and a doughnut for my trouble.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
That's weird about the donating blood thing. I donate blood and am almost at 4 gallons and have never taken anything but a juice box and a doughnut for my trouble.

That's all we take up here too. That's why I was so flabbergasted when they said "no". And it was the Red Cross I called, which really makes me scratch my head.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Hmmm. I don't know, but it sounds like you may have been donating blood to a pharmaceutical company because they are known to buy blood.