CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64287
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 pm
 


EyeBrock wrote:
So the Queens' representative would have no impact on our democracy and couldn't prorogue parliament etc?


At this point, the GG only has the authority that you allow. Were Canada to change its collective mind about that there's not a lot that the UK could or would do about it.

EyeBrock wrote:
She might be a figure head but the monarchy still has a political affect on our country and Canada isn't a republic. Endex.


Again, only as you allow and, more importantly, only up to what you're willing to tolerate.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:00 pm
 


Same applies to McAilbert's argument that we're not a democracy. Our representatives can only do what we're willing to tolerate. We're effectively a democracy.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 12349
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:03 pm
 


Yup. This is really a pretty silly semantics argument...except for the part about Harper being an economist.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15681
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:07 pm
 


Lemmy wrote:
EyeBrock wrote:
So the Queens' representative would have no impact on our democracy and couldn't prorogue parliament etc?

Against the wishes of Parliament, no. If the monarchy ever attemted to act in any way other than as a symbolic and traditional figure head, the whole lot would be given the bum's rush right quick.

EyeBrock wrote:
She might be a figure head but the monarchy still has a political affect on our country and Canada isn't a republic. Endex.

Canada isn't a republic. But it acts virtually like one, or is, as Bart said, "effectively" a republic.


You mean like a kind of constitutional monarchy?


Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:15 pm
 


andyt wrote:
Same applies to McAilbert's argument that we're not a democracy. Our representatives can only do what we're willing to tolerate. We're effectively a democracy.
Having representatives that only do what you tolerate is effectively republicanism. In a democracy there wouldn't be any representatives or leaders, just votes on every decision.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 12349
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm
 


EyeBrock wrote:
You mean like a kind of constitutional monarchy?

Sure, except that the monarchy part has undergone significant decline in importance since 1867 or 1981 or 2010, for that matter.


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
Profile
Posts: 743
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:29 pm
 


Wow...

I have now accumulated more weapons. The current list:

38 Special - S&W WWII Victory model
Taurus .22 Revolver, nine shot
Sig P238 .380 semi pistol
Sig P220 .45 semi pistol

And my pride and joy, the SAI M1a battle rifle, .308/7.62 Nato
with IOR Valdata 35mm 35-18 X 50 Scope.

One my wish list:

Keltec PLR16 pistol that shoots the 5.56 Nato rifle round
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/plr-16/

Kimber Solo 9mm pocket pistol

And someday the H&K 762a1 rifle: http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products ... eneral.asp

There are more guns on my wish list, but I am trying to prioritize.


Hopefully our guns will outnumber the communists and zombies around here.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15681
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:13 pm
 


Lemmy wrote:
EyeBrock wrote:
You mean like a kind of constitutional monarchy?

Sure, except that the monarchy part has undergone significant decline in importance since 1867 or 1981 or 2010, for that matter.



They are but lables for our Canadian democracy but I do like to be accurate.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 12349
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:32 pm
 


And I'm more of a "rose by any other name...." kinda guy...except for the green tights, frilly collars and Elizabethan nancing about.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15681
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:36 pm
 


Plus the pox......


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 12349
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 pm
 


:lol:

Yeah, I'd have had a hard time making it to age 43 in an era before penicillin. 8O


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8377
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:53 pm
 


EyeBrock wrote:
Plus the pox......

Both Great and Small. :lol:


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64287
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 pm
 


Ruxpercnd wrote:
Wow...

I have now accumulated more weapons. The current list:

38 Special - S&W WWII Victory model
Taurus .22 Revolver, nine shot
Sig P238 .380 semi pistol
Sig P220 .45 semi pistol

And my pride and joy, the SAI M1a battle rifle, .308/7.62 Nato
with IOR Valdata 35mm 35-18 X 50 Scope.

One my wish list:

Keltec PLR16 pistol that shoots the 5.56 Nato rifle round
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/plr-16/

Kimber Solo 9mm pocket pistol

And someday the H&K 762a1 rifle: http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products ... eneral.asp

There are more guns on my wish list, but I am trying to prioritize.


Hopefully our guns will outnumber the communists and zombies around here.


+1 R=UP


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1198 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 76  77  78  79  80



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.