Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:39 am

Just the facts; Growing up in a rural area all our neighbors and my family all had firearms.
A rifle always sat on the back step or in a kitchen corner. Was
not uncommon to step out on porch and add a rabbit or squirrel to the breakfast or lunch menu. Also kept much needed monies in our pockets.
Most folks had a hand gun in a closet our bed stand.
Now, all these thrity, fourty, fifty. Well, all these many years. Non of these people or myself have ever broken the law. Cept, maybe parking violations at those silly meter things or going a bit to rapidly.
Myself and most I know have carry permits. I also build muzzleloading weapons. Long sticks and pistols. Just a hobby, much as bowling or stamp collecting.
These weapons are just a bit of history.
Now if you choose to use demeaning statements to insult myself and other honest hard working people, thats your business.
As for me your views are yours and mine are mine.
I respect your country and would never do anything to break your laws.
Please permit me and mine the rights we are given here in the US of A.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:35 am

Well... like I said, I feel comfortable in Canada. Here, on the more intense side of the border, in the last six months, we have had nine police attacked with six killed by gunfire. In addition, in my town a money courier was summarily shot and killed inside a Walmart store.

If U.S. crime rates are so much higher, then we shouldn't be labeled paranoid, but prepared if we seek to simply to protect ourselves.

Whenever, I have visited Canada, it has sometimes felt like stepping back in time twenty or thirty years. Does this mean that Canada will catch up? Canada is Canada and will always be not the same as 190 miles away across the border.

About those Canadian bears... they are quite an issue. I ran into a bear while jogging on a trail at Whistler. Not a problem. He was more interested in digging up swamp roots than me. Of course I kept my distance. I would like to carry a .50 caliber Smith & Wesson revolver, though. I just need to have a Canadian with me who can talk to the bears.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:19 am

$1:
not uncommon to step out on porch and add a rabbit or squirrel to the breakfast or lunch menu. Also kept much needed monies in our pockets.

Just how old are you and where did you grow up?? I don't think I've ever shot a squirrel(tree rats) to eat...well for our cats, yes. I've killed a fair number of rabbits, but my grandmother only served it twice and the rest of the time I've ate it, it was in a restaurant. Most of the food I ate growing up came from Safeway or Co-op, or what ever animals my dad kept for a hobby(15 cattle, 30 butcher sows, 30 turkeys, a horse and 500 Cornish Giants...guess who fed, cleaned and watered his hobbies)

Most of the game I shot was seasonal.. deer(jumper, elk and moose) or water fowl(duck or goose) and the occasional prairie chicken....but never tree rats.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:46 am

Ruxpercnd Ruxpercnd:
Whenever, I have visited Canada, it has sometimes felt like stepping back in time twenty or thirty years. Does this mean that Canada will catch up? Canada is Canada and will always be not the same as 190 miles away across the border.

About those Canadian bears... they are quite an issue. I ran into a bear while jogging on a trail at Whistler. Not a problem. He was more interested in digging up swamp roots than me. Of course I kept my distance. I would like to carry a .50 caliber Smith & Wesson revolver, though. I just need to have a Canadian with me who can talk to the bears.

Will we 'catch up'? No. We actually trust one another. We take our lessons on what not to include in our social experiment from the US, and have decided 'inclusion' is the way to go. This then doesn't alienate anyone to the point that we get scared of anyone new. In some US cities I am convinced that if I stop someone and ask for directions, they will put their hands up and give me their wallet. If I do that in any Canadian city, they'll give me the directions, recommend 3 restaurants and offer to drive me there.

Like the poet said, "Canada is an experiment going right for a change."

And what the hell do you need a .50 for? Just carry a 10 pound barbell if you want a workout.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:14 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
In some US cities I am convinced that if I stop someone and ask for directions, they will put their hands up and give me their wallet.
:| You would be wrong.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 am

Ruxpercnd Ruxpercnd:
Does this mean that Canada will catch up?

:lol: You're so far behind, you think you're ahead!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Wait..what?? Well, I now know at least ONE part of the Bible you believe is fact, cuz we all know you wouldn't use something you don't believe just to argue a point right? :wink:

Of course I would. I have no shame. But then really I don't think it's so dishonorable to turn a person's own argument against them.

We's all God's chillun, so I have no problem calling Yeshua ben Joseph one too.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:24 pm

A few things....

1. The US Supreme Court yesterday heard arguments about why the 2nd Amendment should be incorporated and applied to the States and municipalities and not just be a limitation on the Federal Government. From all reports, it is expected by June that the various gun bans that exist in parts of the USA and the various laws against open carry will be no more. This decision will also prevent any portion of any international treaty banning guns from applying to US citizens. Basically, those people around the world who don't like our right to keep and bear arms can kiss our a$$es.

2. "A well regulated militia" does NOT refer to the National Guard. The 'militia' is legally defined in the USA as anyone between the ages of 18 and 45 who is fit to carry and use a firearm. This was defined yet again in Heller.

3. The vast and overwhelming amount of violent crime in the US involves black and Hispanic males between the ages of 14-25. Canada has no such population (by demographics) at the current time but I will observe that in GTA a disproportionate amount of crime is committed by Jamaicans. In most of Canada where there are none or few Jamaicans there are also none or few firearms crimes.

4. When someone is armed and dangerous in Canada the military can kill them without warning or discussion - I know because I personally witnessed this in Victoria in 2001. That's a big deterrent to gun crime right there. In the US no such thing could happen because too many people are concerned about the rights of bank robbers, murderers, and rapists. You folks often forget that you don't have such a great personal need for firearms because your military is pretty damned effective at dealing with such things.

5. The US Supreme Court has ruled on nine different occasions that the police and etc. have no obligation whatsoever to protect individuals and that individuals are responsible for their own defense. And that's a tough thing to do if you are not allowed to have a firearm to even your odds against criminals who are armed.

6. If you folks want gun control, have at it. Kindly allow us the freedom to do what we want in our own country. Thanks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
A few things....

3. The vast and overwhelming amount of violent crime in the US involves black and Hispanic males between the ages of 14-25. Canada has no such population (by demographics) at the current time but I will observe that in GTA a disproportionate amount of crime is committed by Jamaicans. In most of Canada where there are none or few Jamaicans there are also none or few firearms crimes.

4. When someone is armed and dangerous in Canada the military can kill them without warning or discussion - I know because I personally witnessed this in Victoria in 2001. That's a big deterrent to gun crime right there. In the US no such thing could happen because too many people are concerned about the rights of bank robbers, murderers, and rapists. You folks often forget that you don't have such a great personal need for firearms because your military is pretty damned effective at dealing with such things.

6. If you folks want gun control, have at it. Kindly allow us the freedom to do what we want in our own country. Thanks.

3. Certainly doesn't apply to Vancouver. Very few Jamaicans or other Caribbean Islanders, plenty of gang bangers shooting each other up. Things really heated up when we took in all those Vietnamese boat people and haven't been the same since.

4. WTF are you talking about? Some incident in 2001? I don't recall the last time the military got involved with policing, don't think it's ever happened. We have very few military personnel, and a lot of those are in Astan. You seem to know a lot about Canada, but this statement of yours is just nnnnnnuts.

6. Who are we to tell you what to do - you guys are the ones with all the guns, all the way up to all those nukes. We're just suggesting there may be a kinder, gentler way to go about things. Of course that's just relative to the US of wild west - compared to Europe we're a bunch of psycho killers. Q'uest que c'est.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Don't get us wrong, Bart.

I don't think we could give a **** about how broken your society is. As long as you provide us with the same respect and leave our "backward" peaceful country alone.

Eventually the United States will spiral out of control and it will be like the most horrific chain-reaction ever witnessed in history of people just losing their minds.

We aren't behind you. It's sad that you consider your extraordinary crime levels to be a "step in the right direction".

The difference between Canada and the United States is that we don't actually fear any body or group. We aren't afraid of the Military Bart, I doubt most Canadians even know that, or significantly care. We aren't afraid of our neighbour. We aren't afraid of the homeless. We aren't afraid of immigrants. We don't outcast these people and judge them as cruelly as your country does.

We're ahead of you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
We aren't afraid of immigrants.

We're ahead of you.

I'm afraid of immigrants. But violence and guns have only very little to do with it. (We do seem to have an inordinate number of Asian gangstas shooting each other up her in Vancouver. Not that our white boys are all pure.)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:23 pm

andyt andyt:

3. Certainly doesn't apply to Vancouver. Very few Jamaicans or other Caribbean Islanders, plenty of gang bangers shooting each other up. Things really heated up when we took in all those Vietnamese boat people and haven't been the same since.

Well, there you go. Hate to get all politically incorrect here, but the parts of the US that are 99% white are very, very low crime too. Of course, I'd never say that crime and race/ethnic group were related. :wink:

andyt andyt:
4. WTF are you talking about? Some incident in 2001? I don't recall the last time the military got involved with policing, don't think it's ever happened. We have very few military personnel, and a lot of those are in Astan. You seem to know a lot about Canada, but this statement of yours is just nnnnnnuts.

Yah, it happened. It was covered live on TV, too. Mrs. Bart and I were staying at the Strathcona in Victoria and all hell broke loose outside and the clerk said it was a good idea to stay in our room. We turned on the TV and got to see the CF get on scene and one of their shooters got into position and took out a robber inside a bank who was aiming his gun at hostages. Bam, thus ended the situation. It's got to be 1999-2001 when this took place, but like I said, it was live on TV and all. Hardly a secret.

andyt andyt:
6. Who are we to tell you what to do - you guys are the ones with all the guns, all the way up to all those nukes. We're just suggesting there may be a kinder, gentler way to go about things. Of course that's just relative to the US of wild west - compared to Europe we're a bunch of psycho killers. Q'uest que c'est.

Europe is hardly qualified to tell anyone about being kinder and gentler. In any case the irony of gun control in the US is that the places with the most restrictive gun controls are the most violent. The places with the least gun restrictions are the least violent.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

If you folks want gun control, have at it. Kindly allow us the freedom to do what we want in our own country. Thanks.

Appreciate that. Kindly allow us the freedom to do what we want in our own country - even if that means gun control.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Yah, it happened. It was covered live on TV, too. Mrs. Bart and I were staying at the Strathcona in Victoria and all hell broke loose outside and the clerk said it was a good idea to stay in our room. We turned on the TV and got to see the CF get on scene and one of their shooters got into position and took out a robber inside a bank who was aiming his gun at hostages. Bam, thus ended the situation. It's got to be 1999-2001 when this took place, but like I said, it was live on TV and all. Hardly a secret.

Europe is hardly qualified to tell anyone about being kinder and gentler. In any case the irony of gun control in the US is that the places with the most restrictive gun controls are the most violent. The places with the least gun restrictions are the least violent.

Do you have a link for that incident - I find it hard to believe the army was called in, or that they could mobilize in such short notice? What is the diff between that and a swat team - of which the US also has plenty?

Europe is qualified to talk about having less crime, especially involving guns.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

$1:

Link please. Gotta call a big bag of bullshit here, Bart.

Outside of the Canadian Scottish Regiment, the 5th Field Battery and some other support companies (all militia) there are no army units on the island, and they would not be called in to take out a bank robber - issues with jurisdiction.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1198 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 80  Next